Homebrew competition!!

I'll put some money in the pot, but also what about non-cash prizes? I can buy one of those spare cases now, and when the contest is over, the winner can pick a color, and I'll paint it and send it to them.

If you've such mad skills - even a *good* flat paint job is a pain - I'm all for other prizes in addition to cash. (Or custom what have you's.)

I, too, would prefer a three-month competition (preferrably an official one once production matters are in-hand)

I'll put some money in the pot, but also what about non-cash prizes? I can buy one of those spare cases now, and when the contest is over, the winner can pick a color, and I'll paint it and send it to them.

Well, if we get the merchandising thing going, then there's no reason why we couldn't thow some of that in there, as well.

If you've such mad skills - even a *good* flat paint job is a pain - I'm all for other prizes in addition to cash. (Or custom what have you's.)

I painted mine. It looks decent. Or at least it did before I cracked the lid.

I set it to a month just to see what people come up with...I may extend it depending on how many submissions we get.

ahh, richiz... you may want to review your current prize calculations... you have a total pot of £15 but the 3 prizes as listed add up to £15.25 :)

Mmh, 1 month is a really short time... Maybe I'll hack a little game if the days are rainy.

Indeed. I'm in the modelling stage right now.

Just awful to make a programmer model stuff... but as I really have no other choice, oh well.

I also think this competition needs a banner, at least when it now happens more or less often.

Just so we can have something to show and link to, it's much more eye catchy ;)

Only thing Im worried about is whether I will have enough time to finish it.

Its a shame youre not submitting a game. The flip side of that is I will probably do another comp starting March sometime and running for 3 months :)

I'm not, at the moment, convinced it needs extending.

I've seen many pygame competitions done in a week which has produced some awesome games (bubbman2). As I've said though I'll keep in contact with people who are working on games to check on progress.

What state do the games need to be in to be accepted? I was thinking about submitting Panjoust since i was already preparing for a new demo release with the new features, and perhaps some more. But there already was an early demo out over half a year ago, and i will continue development after this demo, so not sure if it's eligible.

Also wanted to say i really like the initiative! Everything promoting game development for Pandora is a good thing
:)

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

I'd say it would have to be a new game. I would say it would have to be in a completed state. Please play through Bubbman2 for my perception of a completed game.

Again I'm sorry it's rather sh*tty of me to not allow you to submit panjoust but the competition is running to stimulate devs to create new material. I'm sure people (myself included) would be put off if games were allowed to be submitted. It's a bit like going to a festival with a watercolour competition, and instead of doing it there and then like everyone else turning up with a polished bit you've spent months on.

(Again I'm sorry for this stance but I hope you see why!)

Maybe you could add a bunch of extra levels to panjoust? I've yet to play that actually. I'm going to give it a go now.

Last edited by a moderator:
What state do the games need to be in to be accepted? I was thinking about submitting Panjoust since i was already preparing for a new demo release with the new features, and perhaps some more. But there already was an early demo out over half a year ago, and i will continue development after this demo, so not sure if it's eligible.

Also wanted to say i really like the initiative! Everything promoting game development for Pandora is a good thing
:)

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

I'd say it would have to be a new game. I would say it would have to be in a completed state. Please play through Bubbman2 for my perception of a completed game.

Again I'm sorry it's rather sh*tty of me to not allow you to submit panjoust but the competition is running to stimulate devs to create new material. I'm sure people (myself included) would be put off if games were allowed to be submitted

Maybe you could add a bunch of extra levels to panjoust? I've yet to play that actually. I'm going to give it a go now.

Hmm, well i was talking about a new version with added difficulty selection affecting a lot of game elements, bird behaviour changed so they chase you once they detect you, and some small stuff. It's currently in beta testing.

And yes, i was planning to add a load of levels to the new release.

But i understand that you would want new stuff coming out, so it does not really matter. I was not really going for the prize money anyway, there are way better games out there. But always nice to have some feedback and to see the final score ;)

Anyway, let me know what you think of Panjoust, and good luck with the competition! I still think it's a great initiative :)

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're saying you plan on releasing panjoust 2 then this will be more than welcome in my competition :)

Not the same game as panjoust and was made for the competition :)

I look forward to your submission :D

If you're saying you plan on releasing panjoust 2 then this will be more than welcome in my competition :)

Not the same game as panjoust and was made for the competition :)

I look forward to your submission :D

Ghehe ok, i'll just see if i can get enough done before the end of februari to really call it a new version, and cleaned up enough to be called release ready. Busy month unfortunately though...

For now: Good luck to all coders accepting this challenge! I hope some new gems get invented :)

Cheers!

Back