Homebrew competition!!

Here we go.

Not as exciting as B-Zar's video as not much is happening.

I mostly show how the dynamic collision detection is working and jump around a bit.

No real gameplay is shown.

Still, hope you enjoy the sneak-peek :)

foxblock out

looks like you're about the same stage as me, just yours looks nicer :)

it'll be interesting to see the differences in our approaches, as we're both doing pixel collisions it seems

looks like you're about the same stage as me, just yours looks nicer :)

it'll be interesting to see the differences in our approaches, as we're both doing pixel collisions it seems

Good to hear, I am always eager to see other approaches (especially concerning tile-based collision, though) as I have not found the best approach for me yet.

For this game, i actually have written two functions, but scrapped the first one (which is sill preserved and working, but might be better suited for a top-down game than a platformer).

And yes, I am using pixel/image-based collision, tracking 8 points of the unit currently (and using the drawing surface as the collision image).

foxblock out

SO much talent in this community! I'm very excited and I will be donating before the competition ends!

I'm looking for a dying sound. Something 8-bit sounding in the vein of super mario bros 2 would be awesome. Dying takes the player back to the start of the stage (separate health), so the effect needs to last about 5 seconds so the player can gaze at the tragedy of his little commando being reduced to a pile of miscellaneous red pixels. I do most of the effects myself, but composing music (even a jingle like this) is not really my cup of tea :) .

Anyone have good leads or want to donate? I'd like something with CC-BY-NC or alike license.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear, I am always eager to see other approaches (especially concerning tile-based collision, though) as I have not found the best approach for me yet.

For this game, i actually have written two functions, but scrapped the first one (which is sill preserved and working, but might be better suited for a top-down game than a platformer).

And yes, I am using pixel/image-based collision, tracking 8 points of the unit currently (and using the drawing surface as the collision image).

foxblock out

Yeah, very similar to mine, tile collision is probably neater, but impossible in my case, as its similar to yours, but the level surface and level map surface are separate, with the map being hidden. Once this is all done/near done I reckon everyone should explain their approaches, if I ever 'finish' mine I will :)

I'm looking for a dying sound. Something 8-bit sounding in the vein of super mario bros 2 would be awesome. Dying takes the player back to the start of the stage (separate health), so the effect needs to last about 5 seconds so the player can gaze at the tragedy of his little commando being reduced to a pile of miscellaneous red pixels. I do most of the effects myself, but composing music (even a jingle like this) is not really my cup of tea :) .

Anyone have good leads or want to donate? I'd like something with CC-BY-NC or alike license.

Maybe you can find something here. http://www.freesound.org/

That is quite an extensive library I use in that kind of situations.

Maybe you can find something here. http://www.freesound.org/

That is quite an extensive library I use in that kind of situations.
Another option is OpenGameArt, which carries all sorts of game assets (2D, 3D, audio effects, music).

no video progress of mine so far, and probably won't be for a while :p

but i just posted an explanation of the basic physics/etc on my blog, so feel free to check it out and steal any code you fancy (not that it's nice code whatsoever of course)

pandora competition progress/code snippet: http://t.co/5aowtkZ

I've added a bunch of stuff since the last video, but it's going to be a while before I can get back to coding. I got two wisdom tooth pulled yesterday and I'm feeling kinda fuzzy from the painkillers and a little flu :blink: . Hoping to continue before the end of the week though.

no video progress of mine so far, and probably won't be for a while :p

but i just posted an explanation of the basic physics/etc on my blog, so feel free to check it out and steal any code you fancy (not that it's nice code whatsoever of course)

pandora competition progress/code snippet: http://t.co/5aowtkZ
I had a nose through your code, keep up the good work.

Python must be getting to me, the brackets look fugly.

Is everyone using C++ and SDL? No Pygamers :)

Or is that considered cheating, ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Heyo!

I'm back in the game and my entry is progressing nicely :)

Here's a new video for your pleasure. Enjoy!

Looking very good already :)

I like the enemy's death animation very much, had something similar on my mind for my game.

Gah, no progress from my end, it's pretty much at the state of the last video, stupid exams :S

(Though I have two sheets of paper full of level designs and general design ideas...)

Wanted to code on my entry since an hour, am still playing with my pandy here :D

Have already written about 130KB of code, but nothing to show yet... So, NOW I start working again.

Back