Homebrew competition!!

First, thanks for all the positive feedback. Helps a lot to keep the motivation up :)

It's a little odd to me seeing those huge boulders and being able to run / shoot right past them. Like the background wall, want something other than just brown for the platforms you're running on.
Maybe I should darken the rock props a bit to push them further into the background. The platforms had more gray shades (top brown layer, then gray), but that made the level look too bleak. Might have something like that for the later levels.

Edit: lots of spikes, yikes! Looks like one has to be careful with the grenades, looks like you got yourself before the tank splattered you!
For now at least your own grenades don't hurt you, like enemy shots don't hurt enemies.

Edit 2: what're you using for screen capture?
recordMyDesktop with "Desktop Recorder" system tray controller.

Are you going to release the source? I really want to look it over...
Yes I will, GPL'd, though this has to be the messiest code I've done in at least five years. Lots of bad habits, shady responsibility borders and paradigm misuse all around :D . So at most one should look at the game mechanic elements (collision detection etc). Basically I've added features as fast as I can, only refactoring when it speeds up the development. This gets stuff done, but it won't be pretty :lol:

Hello People,

I've long been thinking about creating a small game out of Jumper, the PandoraPanic minigame. So i figured that it might be a nice entry for the competition. This minigame was slapped together in 2 weeks, and since i have only now started coding, 4 weeks into the competition, i thought it would be ok :)

It won't make it into the finalists probably, but maybe something nice will come of it :)

And the obligatory video of course, for those that never played PP. Menu graphics are placeholder, and lots of other stuff will need updating as well, but basic scrolling works, as well as most menu options. Level editor will probably disappear. Also, levels will be much larger.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XXtvSeCZfKE?feature=oembed

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

P.s. B-Zar: Awesome job!!! really looking polished already

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Awesome to have you aboard, MarkoeZ! Add some horizontal- and circular motion platforms and a couple of enemy types (I'd go with something akin to the bees in donkey kong country function-wise) and you might make yourself a winner B)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Awesome to have you aboard, MarkoeZ! Add some horizontal- and circular motion platforms and a couple of enemy types (I'd go with something akin to the bees in donkey kong country function-wise) and you might make yourself a winner B)
Ghehe, rotating platforms sound good. Horizontal moving platforms already work though, at the end of the vid you see one underneath the star.

And yeah, i need to think up some more enemy types, other/more block sprites, and maybe some collectibles, dunno.

Also depends on time i guess, just started this because i needed a small break from a different project. It's fun again though so who knows :)

Only about 3 weeks left, I havent been working on my 2d game for a while, dont know if I will make it in time cos theres still so much to do, Ive been obsessing with other stuff but Ill try put that on ice and go back and crunch my 2d game or something. Hows it going for the rest of you?

I finished that Pygame I was working on and it had some pretty nice features too - sprites were rendered from text and sounds were registered from binary text so it fitted into one nice neat Py file :) (lol who said OOP was the way forward :p

But I'm pretty pissed off that Pygame doesn't go as fast as I'd like so I looked to switching to SDl but I've got a helluva lot on my plate at the moment (moving to Canada in June so trying to sort everything out).

So I don't know. I've been looking at the SDL library and it's not too big a transition from Pygame so maybe I'll be able to fit this in.

If not I'll just package up my Pygame and release that :(

I would like to actually write a game using graphics though :p

I have my planned game engine features implemented, in-game artwork almost done, and most of the non-game parts (start screen, world map) are ready. I still need to do around 4 tile sets for the different level types and design the actual levels. Then it's on to polishing and maybe animating some things a bit better.

I'll make a new video soon after I polish the world map a bit. Probably from the start to the end of the first level.

I have most of the engine features done and just let somebody test it on a Pandora (running fine, a tad slow maybe).

So I just have to implement the few missing features and optimize parts of the code.

Then I will focus on the actual gameplay, create sprites and levels, which should be pretty straightforward considering I have already made a plan of what and how to do it ;)

I still have one exam left (on Saturday, -.- ) but after that I got a few week of free time to work on it, so I guess it should be ready for the deadline after all.

foxblock out

A quick sneak-peek preview from the world map ;)

screenshot.png

^Wow, that looks cool! Any chance on the sequel to the platformer for the competition being an Advance Wars type game? It looks pretty well set up...

I'm making a 2d game "Rescue" with C and GL. I haven't tried it on the Pandora yet but it should run okay. Here's some screenshots, I wasn't able to record it nicely on my netbook. I'm using 32x32 tiles, with some physics for falling rocks and gems (ala Repton), and rope, for swinging and to climb out of the caves. My collision detection code relies on 32x32, I'm doing it bitwise!

The story is that you woke up one morning to find that all the ladies in your village have been stolen by cave monsters. Being a hunky hero type, you have to go into the caves and rescue them! I'm naming my cave monster species after the infamous Wumpus and Grue. It's quite tricky to rescue anyone at the moment. No sound or music yet, also the monsters can't hurt you yet! At the moment, the only way to fail is to fall off the screen or get stuck somewhere - but it's hard already! As of yet, the characters are nude, I didn't have time to draw clothes. It's not too exciting nor offensive at < 32x32. I'm using an ASCII text file for the map, and editing it in vim.

I've got to say, it's heaps of fun writing a game. I'm really glad this competition came along and gave me a reason to do it! Thanks.

About C++ vs. Python, I think that once you learn C++ with STL, it's not too hard to port something from Python. The languages have similar features.

rescue-1.png

rescue-2.png

rescue-3.png

B-ZaR would you be willing to release the source code now so that others who wish to join the competition could have a place to start?

Back