Homebrew competition!!

^ I don't have a cross compiling environment set up yet. Can you (or anyone else) compile Qt/SDL/C++ for pandora?

I want my pandora too :( .

I gotta say, the $150 I paid to get my Pandora "this week", that was the best $150 I've ever spent!

I know some people were cursing Craig's nameafter that announcement of "premium pandoras", but I was praising him to the heavens.

I can't quite understand why anyone who pre-ordered would not fork out the extra dosh to end the pain of waiting, help the company along, and get their Pandora already.

The only reason I can understand would be desperate unemployment and poverty! I don't see how that could be, if you have spare time to code up indy games, and had spare money to pre-order the Pandora in the first place.

Anyway you can get your $150 back plus a bit more, when you win this competition ;)

I don't think I'll get my game 'finished' on time, but hopefully I'll get it running on the Pandora so I can submit it in whatever half-baked state, then I'll do some more work on it afterwards.

Having a bit of trouble with music. Can anyone recommend a good tracker program to make 'mod' music? should be able to play back mod files with SDL mixer, I guess. I was going to try to make my own music synth / scheduler, but I don't think I'll have time to do that.

About the SDL key codes for buttons, I haven't tried it but I suppose the A B X Y buttons map to Home, End, PgDn, PgUp. They are SDLK_HOME, SDLK_END, SDLK_PAGEDOWN, SDLK_PAGEUP.

If you didn't get your Pandora yet, I'm sure someone will be happy to help port your game to the Pandora and test that it works.

I'll offer to help with this. Can't guarantee I'll be able to do it, but I'll give it a go anyway!

As promised a long time ago, a new video:

hey, it's looking good!

I had to save the video and slow down the menu to see what's going on, it looks like an optical illusion!

You can have an award for the best looking game menu I've ever seen, right now.

I'm looking forward to seeing your levels and gameplay in the next video or final game :)

At the moment it looks a lot like pong! :) Is that your intention? It's taking retro to the absolute extreme, I like it!

Just to update: a lot of good things have happened in the world of Wars: Commando. I'm working on it almost every day and it's progressing nicely. I'll do a new video as soon as I find a victory tune. If someone wants to donate a suitable one, I won't mind :p . Something like the one in Contra would be awesome B)

As promised a long time ago, a new video:

hey, it's looking good!

I had to save the video and slow down the menu to see what's going on, it looks like an optical illusion!

You can have an award for the best looking game menu I've ever seen, right now.

I'm looking forward to seeing your levels and gameplay in the next video or final game :)

At the moment it looks a lot like pong! :) Is that your intention? It's taking retro to the absolute extreme, I like it!
Thanks, I am also quite satisfied with how the menu effect turned out :)

Well it is not my intention to make it look like Pong, just minimalistic in general - the graphics will improve, but most likely stay very minimalistic for a reason.

It won't got as far as Marriage thorugh.

foxblock out

Hi,

a bit more then a week (could be 10 days) ago I heard from this contest in a time I wanted to write a game for my GP2X.

Well... I know, that there are not many people left using the GP2X. There are many new, famous handhelds, but the GP2X is enough for me and I don't have the money for a new handheld.

So I decideded to develop for 5 plattforms at the same time. And after installing (in Linux not more than copy & paste in /opt/<handheldname> ^^) 4 different toolchains now I have a basis to write applications for the GP2X, Pandora, Caanoo, WIZ and Dingoo (and PC ^^) at the same time.

All games I developed have to run on my GP2X, if that happens, their will run on the other systems in a good speed, too. :)

Two things I still wanted to do a long time were to write a Jump and Run, what fits perfect with this contest, and to write a simple software renderer for my GP2X with fixed point arithmetic.

I had have the last week a LOT of free time and so I am able to show you a first Video of my engine and my game.

I asked different people with handhelds I dont have, whether they will test my game and now I KNOW, that it run on all handhelds told before. :D

But here is my video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1xB7pAY0I_0?feature=oembed

I have differents plans, what my snowman (I think, I will find a better solution to draw him) will be able to do. And I got good ideas how to use the 3D-World. But... You will see :p

Greetings, Ziz

^ Welcome to the fray Ziz, always good to see another video. Hope you manage to finish your game in time. :)

I had have the last week a LOT of free time and so I am able to show you a first Video of my engine and my game.

I asked different people with handhelds I dont have, whether they will test my game and now I KNOW, that it run on all handhelds told before. :D

That's looking great. It's good that it's portable, and I like the 3d effect.

I have done a lot this day.

Now I have a better model for my snowman, he can become bigger, their are "special" stones (arrows), Ice Coins to collect, a better camera and I optimized the graphic for my gp2x (what you cannot see, but it was still a lot of work) Furthermore their are clouds now and a door to other levels (in this case the same again). Hey and have a look at the new tree! :D

https://www.youtube.com/embed/kJXRwcThYFs?feature=oembed

greetings, Ziz

wow these games looks great :)

But have a few questions.

What operating system are you guys program in? Windows, ubuntu?

what programs do you use to develop in, Visual Studio or are there something better?

what language are you using, c, c++, java or something else?

and the last question, are you guys using the pandora sdl pack?

Kubuntu

what programs do you use to develop in, Visual Studio or are there something better?
Qt Creator / kate / kdevelop, depends on the context. Wars: Commando is developed in Qt Creator, as it's 99% Qt.

Qt/SDL/C++ for the current project, but in general I usually program in C++, python, javascript or java. In rare cases C.

No, as it wouldn't make much of a difference in my Qt graphics.

wow these games looks great :)
Thx. :lol:

But have a few questions.
Ubuntu on an eeePC 701 4G. Most people forget this piece of hardware yet. It has a screen resolution of 800x480, a 4 GB SSD and a Celeron CPU with default clock of 630 Mhz, but most time I use my power supply and set the clock to 900 Mhz.

Oh, there are much things better than Visual Studio. I don't like it so much. The reason could be, that I needed about TEN MINUTES to compile and link an application I had to write for my study. If I have the choice, I use geany. It has the advantage, that I am able to configure it perfectly for my device. :) So it looks:

And I have a terminal with 4 to 5 tabs open, too, to compile, to test (with stdout output) and to show with a telnet connection, what's going on on my GP2X. ;-)

C/C++, because it is the easiest way to be portable. I have four different toolchains on a 8 GB USB Stick for the systems I am writing for. If I write something for PC, I use Free Pascal, Python or C/C++.

Dont know about it. I use SDL to be portable. Every toolchain I am using support it. Do you mean this or is there something special?

greetings Ziz

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows 7

Code::Blocks, it is a cross-platform IDE, so I also have it set-up on my Ubuntu Virtual Box and can use the same project file to natively compile for Linux (could even use it on the Pandora).

I am used to IDEs, so this is the ideal set-up for me and I like that I can manage my files, compiler and linker set-up and code in the same program.

C++, SDL and Penjin as an engine.

I assume you mean notaz' improved SDL. I am not using it currently, but plan on looking into it if I find the time.

foxblock out

I'm a c# developer my self.... well mostely in my spare time.

The reason for these question is becuase I've been reading a lot about how to develop for Pandora, and 90% of alle the threads on these forums using c++, and i dont know where to start.

Then I read about the SDK in this topic:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/41572-sdk-developer-tools-documentation/

So i wanted to know if you guys used one of these.

It doesent sound like that you're using som special develiper kit for the panodra just plain c++.

I've been using Visual studio so far, what i need is a simple good editor that also have code-completion.

Ziz: I would like to take a look a Geany through VMWare it looks pretty good for c++ and then use VS for c# :)

All the information that you gave me so far is a good start and i'm pretty sure that this would help other too thats in the same situration like me, thanks soo much. :)

To compile for the Pandora I use Ivanovic's toolchain in my VirtualBox. It is really easy to set-up, includes all the libs present on the Pandora and works fine :)

http://www.gp32x.de...ndora-org-ipks/

But there are other alternatives like a new toolchain by sebt3 (improving on DjWillis original work):

http://www.gp32x.de...58490-yactfeau/

On Windows I use some pretty ugly, hacked together toolchain which for some reason also works ;)

But as it uses an older version of the compiler I rarely use it nowadays.

I used the same toolchain like foxblock.

If it is not your first trip to linux, it is not hard to use it.

Didn't know yet, that geany exist for Windows, too. ^^

Btw.: I could use Geany for Compilation, too. I have a terminal inside geany and I am able to connect short-keys with make-calls (or whatever I want) - in fact there es still a short-key calling "make all" in the directory of the file I am working at - , but I like it to have an extra terminal. :)

greetings Ziz

Back