Hook Up Gp2x/cradle To Vga?

puppetj

Still Fresh
Have anyone tried use the Tritton USB 2.0 SVGA Adapter or another usb to vga adapter that i dont know of for the gp2x/cradle?? now this onne supports windows 2000/xp not sure if any linux drivers written for it do anyone have any ideas??? btw i saw this Tritton USB 2.0 SVGA Adapter at cyberguys.com if you need help, thanks!

puppetj said:
Have anyone tried use the Tritton USB 2.0 SVGA Adapter or another usb to vga adapter that i dont know of for the gp2x/cradle?? now this onne supports windows 2000/xp not sure if any linux drivers written for it do anyone have any ideas??? btw i saw this Tritton USB 2.0 SVGA Adapter at cyberguys.com if you need help, thanks!

No, the GP2X is USB 1.1

If you want VGA, the conexant chip is specced for VGA, just not implemented :angry:

That product is the answer to a question no one asked, USB is not fast enough for a graphics adaptor.

A second graphics card, or dual-head2go by Matrox is just a vastly better solution for multi-monitor output.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
puppetj said:

No, the GP2X is USB 1.1

If you want VGA, the conexant chip is specced for VGA, just not implemented :angry:

That product is the answer to a question no one asked, USB is not fast enough for a graphics adaptor.

A second graphics card, or dual-head2go by Matrox is just a vastly better solution for multi-monitor output.
So does that mean the chip is onboard but theres no connection / firmware for it?? If an output was made for the BOB could it have been accessed and used?

the needed pins aren't connected anywhere, you would need to solder directly the the conexant chip.
It can(could) output rgb/vga/ypbpr at up to 480p/1024*768/1080i

Yup, the chips in the gp2x supports TV/VGA/etc, but only the TV part is actually wired up.

On the plus side, you can use the GP2X on a VGA monitor. I've used a Dreamcast VGA convertor for the task (which basically took composite video or SVHS and converted it to RGB).

Squidge said:
Yup, the chips in the gp2x supports TV/VGA/etc, but only the TV part is actually wired up.

On the plus side, you can use the GP2X on a VGA monitor. I've used a Dreamcast VGA convertor for the task (which basically took composite video or SVHS and converted it to RGB).
Now you are just making it more confusing, the Dreamcast will actually output VGA, it is part of the console spec, I have the VGA cable right here (there is no conversion hardware, the RGB lines are directly wired to the VGA port on the other side).

Yes, you can get a lousy picture out of a VGA conversion box, it isn't a good idea.

If the software ever comes out for setting the Conexant chip to VGA, I am sure someone will mod the GP2X to VGA, it is just too cool to try, especially since we have x11.

It is just a few simple lines wired to a VGA plug.

"No, the GP2X is USB 1.1"

the gp2x isnt usb 1, it two it even says it on the website, besides they show you hooking up a extranal hard drive to it, and that would be retarded at usb 1

puppetj said:
nubie said:
No, the GP2X is USB 1.1
the gp2x isnt usb 1, it two it even says it on the website, besides they show you hooking up a extranal hard drive to it, and that would be retarded at usb 1

I find it funny that you would put up this reply to a guy with a sig like mine :).

The USB Slave mode is 2.0, it uses a seperate chip.

The USB Host mode is 1.1, it is part of the MMSP2.

You find it retarded to hook a USB drive up to 1.1? I don't. Is there another handheld or videogame system that can hook up to USB, even USB 1.1? As far as I know just the PS2, but hardly anything is supported, if you can call the PS2 homebrew or emulator scene any good.

There is a list of things that are crappy with the GP2X, the USB 1.1 is really down at the bottom of the list, it is plenty fast enough to play PSX ISO's (not that the emulator is really), or Full Divx video that isn't high-def (which we couldn't really playback anyway).

For proof, choose MMSP2 from my sig and have a look at the main chip in the GP2X, note the section with USB 1.1 Host. Then go to the wiki page on hardware to see the USB 2.0 Slave chip that is connected to the side USB Mini to allow it to connect to a PC.

As I mention above, once the developers figure out how to put the Conexant chip into VGA or HDTV modes then we can solder a few more lines onto the Conexant chip and have VGA output. Any other way would be futile at this stage.

While you are on the MMSP2 page, see all the other great stuff that was left out, Touch-screen, IDE hard drive interface (1.8" hard drives are cheap, I got 15GB for $35), etc etc. Uncool if you ask me.

nubie said:
puppetj said:
nubie said:
No, the GP2X is USB 1.1

I find it funny that you would put up this reply to a guy with a sig like mine :).

The USB Slave mode is 2.0, it uses a seperate chip.

The USB Host mode is 1.1, it is part of the MMSP2.

You find it retarded to hook a USB drive up to 1.1? I don't. Is there another handheld or videogame system that can hook up to USB, even USB 1.1? As far as I know just the PS2, but hardly anything is supported, if you can call the PS2 homebrew or emulator scene any good.

There is a list of things that are crappy with the GP2X, the USB 1.1 is really down at the bottom of the list, it is plenty fast enough to play PSX ISO's (not that the emulator is really), or Full Divx video that isn't high-def (which we couldn't really playback anyway).

For proof, choose MMSP2 from my sig and have a look at the main chip in the GP2X, note the section with USB 1.1 Host. Then go to the wiki page on hardware to see the USB 2.0 Slave chip that is connected to the side USB Mini to allow it to connect to a PC.

As I mention above, once the developers figure out how to put the Conexant chip into VGA or HDTV modes then we can solder a few more lines onto the Conexant chip and have VGA output. Any other way would be futile at this stage.

While you are on the MMSP2 page, see all the other great stuff that was left out, Touch-screen, IDE hard drive interface (1.8" hard drives are cheap, I got 15GB for $35), etc etc. Uncool if you ask me.

what do you mean a sig like yours? what sig, who are you? as far as i know i didnt reply to you, but yeah that sux the stuff they didnt use, btw slave mode, host mode... dont even now what that means, so i dont know where your going with this, anyway i guess ill just use a vga box

If they ever figure that out how to get progressive VGA out of the GP2X I hope ED or Craigix could do a service to get it done for cheap price sorta like the DaveC D-pad things. Seriously though having proper VGA out of the device would be uber considering the amount of HDTV's and LCD TV's out there now. If the S-video connection was at 1024x768 would that look just as fine on a HDTV or not?

Vimacs said:
the needed pins aren't connected anywhere, you would need to solder directly the the conexant chip.
It can(could) output rgb/vga/ypbpr at up to 480p/1024*768/1080i
If someone could provide the pins on the chip to connect directly to RGB, then a RGB screen (eg PSone) would work beautifully!! ;)

Back