Hori Fighting Stick 3 For Linux

klikklak

Oh neat, it's a ... field.
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I've been looking at buying a proper arcade stick for emus on my linux box and I stumbled on the ps3 sticks which are both low price and usb. I didn't know that ps3 used/had usb :)

Some might say that I should buy the real arcade one, but I don't have the money and the local game shop stocks only the fighting stick 3. Anyway, my question is this: has anyone used this one on linux and mame, fba, etc. emus?

klikklak said:
Hi,

I've been looking at buying a proper arcade stick for emus on my linux box and I stumbled on the ps3 sticks which are both low price and usb. I didn't know that ps3 used/had usb :)

Some might say that I should buy the real arcade one, but I don't have the money and the local game shop stocks only the fighting stick 3. Anyway, my question is this: has anyone used this one on linux and mame, fba, etc. emus?
A person on this page says yes :) http://www.opensenses.com/discussion/i-wan...ticks!!!

(I checked the google cache, it was down for me, but it could be my home network.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I read that thread earlier. I think the person says that the dc, ps2, saturn sticks work on linux? and there's the link for 360 controller on linux, but gentoo wiki seems to be down. 60€ is a bit steep price to be a guinea pig but I think I'll do it anyway. Too bad amazon doesn't ship electronics to finland.

Hey.
I have this HORI FIGHTING STICK 3 that you're talking about, I bought it a couple of months ago from tradera. (it's like ebay, but for Sweden)
Anyway, it works fine for me in WinXP and Vista, but I've heard of many people buying it that won't get any lifesigns out of it.
Actually, a friend of mine in Italy bought the same stick from amazon shortly after mine arrived, but it didn't work at all for him, he also tried it on several other computers in his household but it didn't work there either.
I did some googling, and some say that the stick is more compatible with nForce chipsets if that makes any sense, and if you have another chipset it may or may not work at all. I don't know if this is true.
Also another difference was that he ordered the english version, while mine is from Japan. I don't know if there's any difference other than the box and instructions though, both say "Made in Japan" on the label.

So, to get to the point, I tried Kubuntu 8.10 last night and it detected that I had a joystick and it was detected as HORI FIGHTING STICK 3, but none of the buttons were working and also I tried to calibrate it with a tool in Kubuntu but nothing happened as I pressed the buttons or moved the stick.
It seems to me that it isn't working in linux or you need to find a working driver for it, but chances are that it won't work at all.

And considering the above mentioned thing that it may or may not work, I would recommend that you buy the more expensive Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 instead, it works 100%, I don't have one myself but I've heard from several people that it is one of the best available.

Well, good luck. :)

Hey, thanks!

Luckily I didn't buy the stick yet :) I've got nforce chipset, but I'll spend the extra 20€ or so to get the real arcade pro if that's certain to work.

EDIT: ehh, more like 80€ more. *sigh* I guess this'll have to wait for awhile.

Back