Should I stick to my PS3, or get myself a custom-made PC

Viking

So yeah, lots of huuuge titles out this fall! And I just have this question

Should I get a build it your self custom-made pc, or should I just stick to my PS3? The reason I'm considering this is because I see there's a big difference in graphics, and I don't know if I should bother buying a pc if I can just use my PS3 and get about the same experience. Skyrim is one of the reasons, and BF3. I know I can get a kickass computer for 1500$.

As you can do pretty much stuff with a PC, the choice seems obvious.

And as the Linux option for PS3 was removed, it's now only a game console.

1500€ seems pretty expensive (without the screen). You can have a killer one for less.

PC for certain!!

You can upgrade video cards with a PC if needed.

If it's just to play the same games but with "more graphics", then I would question the need to spend $1500, personally.

That seems like an awful lot just to get some more pretties and shinies.

Last edited by a moderator:
You want the rundown? Okay, the reality is consoles always have and will trail computer technology at launch, because their nature as integrated systems means they fix hardware well in advance of launch and they don't have magical sources of tech.

Due to the RAM limitations, crippling of the PowerPC CPUs, and otherwise a XBox 360/PS3 can barely sort of run Crysis at 1280x720 at Low. A now rather old system with a X1950 GPU on a higher resolution

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Upw5wFOc0Ig?feature=oembed in the same sense of the word.

The Radeon X1900 the Xbox 360's GPU is based off of was rated at around 375GFLOPs. An AMD A8-3850's GPU section is rates at 480GFLOPs, and 284GFLOPs with an A6-3650, while benefiting from all the API and architectural improvements that allows them to better utilize the power they have. This means the only processing asset edge a PS3 has over the current basic budget gaming system is when it's memory controller behaves well enough to reap the benefits of using XDR versus DDR3, which given the minimal buffer isn't that easy to actually exploit.

Now one thing a console owner can point out is that their TV has a much more advanced upscaler then a computer monitor will have as the expectation is a user will address that in a more direct fashion. Pointing at the controller, in this case, is nonsensical seems as how you can not only utilize a wide variety of controllers including those in the dual shock style but these are available in forms that can be natively recognized or programmed allowing you to use said controller in games you normally wouldn't be able to.

If you want power and flexibility to choose to play the way you want, when you want, and truly own your system go with computer platforms. If you prefer a highly integrated system that protects you from the tyranny of choice with the natural compromises that follow including others basically ruling over what you can do, stick with a console platform.

Its simple; its all about ergonomics and software.

If you want to sit on a couch (and don't want to set up a PC to your TV and use wireless PC components), get a console; an xbox 360 or ps3 will do pretty well on a TV and couch. (Consider that these consoles may have a limited lifespan over the nect couple of years.)

If you want more flexibility (and more pain, depending if you enjoy PC hacking) and more power and don't mind sitting in your office/room/whatever, then get a PC.

Factor in software .. theres a lot of PC-only, or xbox-only, etc exclusives; fortunately most big tivket games are across multiple platforms (yay for Portal2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, BF3, etc and so on), but some stuff is platform specific or seriosuly better on one platform. In general modding only happens on PC, and PC usually features larger levels or the like. But if you want a PS3-only game series... well, duh. You want Minecraft though, you gotta get a PC.

So, pick where you want to play, and what you want to play and go.

And no, it might just mean you need both ;)

jeff

PC all the way, if you've got $1500 to spend.

For what Jebe & Skeezix said. The PC is the mutts nuts when it comes to gaming for the tech savvy gamer. All that freeware, emulator stuff and a much better quality of AAA experience make it the only sensible choice. Cost of ownership should also be factored in. i.e. PC games tend to be a hell of a lot cheaper than their console equivalents.

What works really well for me is having a Dual screen set up where one screen is the PC monitor and the other is a flat screen TV. (win+P to seemlessly swap output selection on Win 7).

It was a real eye opener for me recently, to see how poorly things like GTA4 ran on PS3 / XBox 360 when compared to a relatively bargain basement PC (Approx £350 for the box).

I know things are a little more expensive in Norway but there is no need to spend $1500, my advice would be to spend $1000 and the spend the other $500 a couple of years later to upgrade it. Unless you want to buy a couple of big hard drives these days that is :( .

I'd normally be banging on about how awesome Steam was as well, but for some reason it doesn't seem to appropriate today. :p

Oh, and if you do go down the PC route then make sure you pick up an XBox 360 controller (pref wireless with PC dongle) to use with it.

I just built myself a new PC for about £500 (£650ish if you include the monitor), and it's great, play all my games on there.

Which is a shame, because there's about 5 Xbox360 Indie games I've bought which I really like, but the console virtually never goes on :( I even repurchased Greed Corp on my PC to move as much across as possible.

But then, people think I'm odd for playing Street Fighter IV with a keyboard :D (Though I'll admit, I really like the Xbox360 controller for SF)

If you want some ideas on building a PC check out the system builder marathon articles on Tom's Hardware. They build a few budget oriented computers and give them some tests and compare them to the current and older marathon builds. It's a good source of info if it's you're first foray into building one.

Hm.. I've decided to go for Mr.Loon's advice and just try to use 1000 $ and upgrade it later. Buuut I did actually buy Skyrim for PS3, and then later saw the difference on the PC, wich I now kinda regret of not waiting :-/

But Skyrim is easy re-playable, so don't see i've lost that much :p

But I've heard something about "Black Friday", wich is on the last weekend in November? That all techs are much more cheaper for the hollidays? Should I then order a computer in the States or just order one in Norway? :p

I am in the States and the price reductions are substantial to say the least.

I say States without a doubt. You might expect a longer than usual wait for delivery due to the traffic.

But um.. Would there be by any chance anyone who would link me parts or "shop for me" what kind of parts I would want in a computer?

Would really appriciate the help guys :D

But um.. Would there be by any chance anyone who would link me parts or "shop for me" what kind of parts I would want in a computer?

I am going out soon but if you want I can help you tonight [i am in USA est. time zone]. PM me, give me your email address and I will give you mine. Let me know exactly what you want and I can send links.

We have many, many computer discount stores here in the states, especially South Florida.

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:

Unless you know exactly what you are doing in terms of building a PC then I'd strongly recommend getting a preconfigured system, my personal recommendation would be to buy the monitor separately.

I'd be most surprised if when shipping / import duty was taken into account it would be significantly cheaper to buy from the states. Also take into account that extra degree of hassle if something goes wrong and an RMA is required.

Seem to remember you are in Norway, for what it is worth a Norwegian friend bought a PC from komplett a few years back and he was very happy with it.

Feel free to post any links to a system you like the look of.

Bear in mind that the Xbox 720 and PS4 are likely to appear next year.

highly doubt it....im guessing more like 2014...13 at the earliest

Skyrim on an iMac in 2560x1440 resolution, with texture and detail mods.

It's the only way to be sure.

Makes console gaming look like shit, and for Skyrim at least you can still plug in an Xbox 360 controller and play it from the comfort of your Sofa.

As much as I love consoles; PCs are still a very valid and necessary part of a complete gaming diet.

It's a terrible, terrible shame that the current geriatric consoles are holding back PC graphics on games like Skyrim. Once you patch it for 4GB RAM and install some mods, you'll wonder how you ever played that muddy sack of crap on a console. And the modding community haven't even got started yet!

This was a product from Komplett.no that was build for someone else and they didn't pick it up. It costs 1450$

Is it called a demo-ware?

619272 Intel® LGA1155 Core™ i7-2600K

578918 Kingston DDR3 1333MHz 8GB KIT CL9

646167 Corsair SSD Force Series™ 3, 90GB

632657 WD Caviar® Green™ 2TB SATA 3.0

632657 WD Caviar® Green™ 2TB SATA 3.0

648667 ZOTAC GeForce GTX570 1280MB Synergy

628969 MSI P67A-G45 B3, Socket-1155

622013 Sony Blu-Ray Writer BD-5300S SATA

623444 Corsair Powersupply TX V2 650W

622209 Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower Svart

Back