Connecting A Ps3 To Virgin Media (v+ Box)

NickLoTurco

Website
www.hitthesport.com
Hello peeps.....

I'm getting a PS3 for my 30th.............bittersweet or what.......

I'm going to want to get online to buy games and stuff........my PC and modem are upstairs, so I was wondering if I could get online using my V+ box using ethernet? I've heard that it doesn't work but was wondering if this was true and if there was any other way of doing it?

Would like to be up and running from the word go!

Thanks guys....

Lo Turco

Hello peeps.....

I'm getting a PS3 for my 30th.............bittersweet or what.......

I'm going to want to get online to buy games and stuff........my PC and modem are upstairs, so I was wondering if I could get online using my V+ box using ethernet? I've heard that it doesn't work but was wondering if this was true and if there was any other way of doing it?

Would like to be up and running from the word go!

Thanks guys....

Lo Turco
I don't think that would work, I remember a friend trying it, best solution is to get a wireless router and use the built in wifi on the ps3.

Last edited by a moderator:
That won't work, each MAC address has to be authorised, your V+ box won't be authorised for internet access. But as a solution, get either a wireless router, or any router if you don't have one already(To allow PC and PS3 at the same time). It may be a good idea to go the wired route, but rather than drill holes through your house and run loads of ethernet cable, I suggest two homeplug adapters, they network over the power circuitry of your house.

Yeah if possible go wired using the method suggested above, I used a a fairly old wireless router for a while and the lag was pretty bad so if you do go wireless get a good router.

Thanks guys....I already went with a Netgear router that Virgin Media supply. When I rang them they said they charged £40 for the router.....I eventually went on ebay and bought a new one for £15! I hope it works okay.....picking a router is tricky as everyone has different opinions on certain models, probably because every house differs in terms of signal strengths....

What are homeplug adapters by the way? I'll google it now!

Those netgear routers are okay, can't configure much on them but eventually they should be able to run dd-wrt, unlocking their full potential. I did include a brief description of homeplug adapters, but they convert ethernet signals to work over your homes wiring, allowing networking functionality wherever your power circuity goes.

I suggest the homeplugs due to potential range issues more than lag. Although there can be lag issues with wireless.

Bugger!! I just received my Netgear ADSL router, problem is, my only phone line is downstairs where the PS3 will be. I phoned Virgin and the cost for installing a second line is £30 plus 10 quid a month line rental!

What can I do with this router (Netgear DG834G)? I thought I could plud the phone cable into the Virgin modem but it doesn't have a socket!

Whe do some routers require a phone line going through them when it's plugged in via ethernet? Can't I just take the Router downstairs, plug the phone line and ethernet between PS3 and router and do it without the PC being connected?

Sorry for the silly questions I'm just new to this wireless thing and I don't want a phone line extension going through the house when it's meant to be wireless!

Nick

Well, you've got cable, you're supposed to have a CABLE router. You've made a pretty much useless buy there. Your internet comes entirely from the cable line and is distributed with ethernet. You don't have ADSL so can't use your phone line with the router. You need a cable router, wired or wireless, if wired, two homeplug adapters and if wireless, hope that your PS3 will be in range.

Edit: As we're providing links, something like this should be very good.

Good luck with the Belkin, I've had trouble with them in the past, but if it works for you then it's fine. I'd be interested to know if you finally get all of this working. If you need help setting up encryption or whatever just ask once the router arrives.

ive connected all my wireless stuff ,laptops ,ps3 etc, to a belkin wireless router,and had no trouble

ive connected all my wireless stuff ,laptops ,ps3 etc, to a belkin wireless router,and had no trouble
I didn't mean to say that ALL Belkin products are bad, I've just had bad experience with clients Belkin products getting bad range and hardware issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm back! It seems to work great although I've only had it the last 2 days. A bit of lag on GT5 but I think that may be to do with the game host going off-line?

Just a quick question though, with the setup on PS3 I just set everything up automatically as my PC IP address didn't work, is this right? Also I don't have any security setting on at the moment, how do I do this and how important is it?

Outrun online is the dogs....

Everything needs separate IPs, if you set it to automatic the router will automatically give them out. Encryption is important if you don't want people to access your internet or potentially sniff out what you're doing. To set it up, you have to go to your routers config pages, your IP with the last digit set to 1. Login with the default password, it's normally admin/admin or something like that. Go to the wireless configuration pages and set the encryption type to WPA and set a password, then just put this password into any wireless things you're connecting to it.

Back