The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

they're only really any use for obsessively hoarding all the classic games you loved to play.
That's... kind of... the point? Pretty sure it's in both their name and mission statement. :p

True, and it works, but they could expand that business model to shiny new games, too. It's difficult to believe, but some of the new games coming out these days don't suck.

I totally agree that there are a lot of new games that don't suck, but most of those already have distribution channels that equally don't suck or don't actually want a distribution channel that doesn't suck. Do you honestly believe that EA would put out any of their new games with a "download whenever and wherever you want, DRM free!" model? Rhetorical question. :p

GoG fills an exciting niche, and as much as you or I may want them (or at the least their philosophy) to expand, the market itself is not likely to swing that way. It only works for "old" games because the companies in question have basically abandoned them as income sources and this is a way to generate some new revenue.

what did you people do to get skyrim running with wine?
  • Compiled wine 1-3.32 and setup a new wineprefix
  • downloaded winetricks
  • winetricks xact
  • winetricks vcrun2008
  • winetricks d3dx9_42
  • regedit

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\UseGLSL -> "disabled"
    (I didn't have this one at first, but the game started crashing more and more with GLSL errors)
  • renamed Data/Video/BGS_Logo.bik
    (removes the Logo intro which causes frequent critical section errors)

You can find more information in the Wine AppDB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any other way of logging into Steam besides the client and their website?
I can see someone using "log in" to simply mean "start the client" because it still requires a username and password. If it can't connect to the Steam servers, however, it lets you play in offline mode which still gives you access to (most of?) your games, you just can't buy, download, or activate any new ones.

Not everyone will interpret it that way. Unless things changed since I've played Half-Life 2 (3-4 years ago) I never had to enter my username and password just to start the client or to go into offline mode.

they're only really any use for obsessively hoarding all the classic games you loved to play.
That's... kind of... the point? Pretty sure it's in both their name and mission statement. :p

The reason why they offered The Witcher 2 is because it's their parent companies game.

what did you people do to get skyrim running with wine?
  • Compiled wine 1-3.32 and setup a new wineprefix
  • downloaded winetricks
  • winetricks xact
  • winetricks vcrun2008
  • winetricks d3dx9_42
  • regedit

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\UseGLSL -> "disabled"

(I didn't have this one at first, but the game started crashing more and more with GLSL errors)
  • renamed Data/Video/BGS_Logo.bik

(removes the Logo intro which causes frequent critical section errors)

You can find more information in the Wine AppDB.
im still on 1.3.29 as i dont really have a compiling environment setup here. got dx9 and 10, xact, vcrun 08 and 10, and corefonts installed. anything specific i should rename the intro to? mind explaining the glsl thing a bit more?

but ya ive got it running sorta now, walking seems kind of laggy, had a crash after first alchemy, and i need to output sound through usb somehow

You are clogging your wineprefix pretty much with lots of unneeded stuff. You should always try keep it clean as possible, and for games that need lots of overrides you should do a new prefix.

Second, make sure you are actually using kernel with smaller latency (such as the mainline -rt patchset or -ck (with BFS scheduler)), if you are going to run multimedia applications. However, only if you care about performance. If you have pulseaudio, disable it and use OSS/ALSA instead. Pulseaudio gives major stress for CPU and introduces latency.

The GLSL disabling is only for nvidia cards(not actually disabling GLSL, but using ARB extensions), for other cards it does disable however and bad things happen. But if you are going to use Wine, you should not use anything else than nvidia anyways.

http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

Also if you are using Ubuntu(or any variant with outdated packages and shitloads of daemons running), ditch it.

Just some tips, I guess.

As pointed out, if you want to save from hassle. Boot to Windows or play from console.

Video how Skyrim runs under my crappy desktop:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rfqsR9NF5R0?feature=oembed

The kernel differences make me wonder though, if Pandora is actually running "default" kernel,

without any patch sets reducing latency for multimedia computing.

well, the only spec thats different on yours is your q6600 instead of my e6600. it does appear to run a lot smoother on yours. and it looks like im going to be dual booting to windows i guess....even though i probably should fix my ps3 one of these days

If you have pulseaudio, disable it and use OSS/ALSA instead. Pulseaudio gives major stress for CPU and introduces latency.
apparently, wine doesnt even use pulseaudio at all, it used, in order, coreaudio,oss4,alsa,oss3, depending on whats available

So is there any reason why you cant just clear out a cave and use it as a home? I dont want to get into spoilers or anything like that because based on this thread so far some people are still having a hard time getting the game to run to begin with. It seems to me though that people wont come into the cave and steal my things if i use a chest or something inside. It seems like a safe bet to me and can save the cost of having a house?

Anyone know of a reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?

I imagine you could..

A lot of questlines get you shacks, houses, rooms etc.. I've stored a pile of stuff I cant be bothered to sell .. Fast travel, unload, move on :) College of Mages questline is epic. Dark brotherhood gets you rich.

Jeffphone

Portal 2, deus ex, skyrim, bf3 .. Great damned gaming year

Portal 2, deus ex, skyrim, bf3 .. Great damned gaming year
DroolingRainbows.jpg

Ohhhh Maawwhh Gawwwd!

You said it. By the way, anyone tried Skyward sword yet? I have it and its great!

So is there any reason why you cant just clear out a cave and use it as a home?

Anyone know of a reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?
In Oblivion non-protected chests could despawn their content. I'm not sure if that happens in Skyrim as well. I have not seen it happen yet, but for safety I store all my equipment in my house instead.

Back