Horror films for someone that 'can't be scared' ..?

How old is she?

If she is a fan, she probably already went through the more classic/pop ones.

John Carpenter´s the Thing is a must movie on this gender.

If you really wonna fuck her mind up, Serbian Film.....warning, dont watch this movie

Some good shouts in this thread. The Haunting was a revelation to me when I first saw it - that and Night of the Living Dead are the only black and white horrors I still find effective. Bear in mind that pretty much all of the characters in The Haunting are very un-PC in this day and age, but if you can look past their odd behaviour in the opening third, it's a very effective straight-up chiller.

The Shining and Poltergeist are also essential horror films, but are so well-known that I'd expect anyone with an interest would have seen them already.

Personally I found the first Ring film (Ringu as it seems to be known in the States) unsettling - I'm a big fan of its sound track and think that contributes a lot to its creepy air. The second film is not nearly as good though, and breaks the first film's premise, so I'd advise against that. And the prequel's just a blatant cash-in, although one or two of the effects are neat. I did quite enjoy Dark Water, by the same director as The Ring although it's not nearly as creepy. Still an above average supernatural thriller though.

FWIW I did much later also see the American remake of The Ring, and found it to be pretty faithful with the only changes made to make it easier to follow the plot for westerners, but it doesn't use any of the original's sound effects, so I didn't find it all that creepy, but still a decent film.

Another foreign film I found pretty creepy is an odd Spanish horror called The Baby's Room which I gather was actually a TV movie over there and only seems to be available on an oddball compilation DVD with five other much worse films, only released in Spain or the US. It's worth tracking down though, particularly if you like your horror films spooky and a little twisted.

Oh, and I also quite enjoyed Triangle which is a slightly budget psych horror, that makes more than a couple of nods towards The Shining, which gets any films bonus marks in my book. Not sure it's a well respected horror, but I enjoyed it. British director too.

Also, I have a penchant for dark humour in my horror films, and I laughed my way through Drag Me To Hell when it came out a few years ago. If your friend liked the Evil Dead films, it's definitely one for the list.

So there you go: from the straightforward original to the overtly post-modern, take your pick.

Another excellent real-life type horror movie is Frozen (not to be confused with the upcoming Disney film coming soon). It's about 3 friends getting stuck high up on a ski-lift over night. Sounds dull - it's anything but. What would you do to survive?

Japanese guys are pretty good with psychological horror.

Ring and Grudge are not that good (in my opinion), but there are some I do remember as being good:

* A tale of two sisters

* The Eye

* Silk

* The Call (only part one!)

And a lot more where I've forgotten the name.

Just be sure to get the originals, NOT the boring US remake!

Oh, yes, I can never have enough Japanese psychological horror.

No idea why some of them have low ratings on IMDB though. Just because they look cheap doesn't make them less scary.

Just remembered another old but good one that contains virtually no gore - Stephen King's Cat's Eye. It's made up of three short films that have a cat as a (tenuous) link.

And don't forget Twilight Zone The Movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another excellent real-life type horror movie is Frozen (not to be confused with the upcoming Disney film coming soon). It's about 3 friends getting stuck high up on a ski-lift over night. Sounds dull - it's anything but. What would you do to survive?
yeah, i confirm. Excellent indie movie. This movie didnt have enough exposure for example , in poland [cinemas didnt run this movie]

btw. If you want to watch mind bending movie, try 'BUG'

Bugposter2007.jpg

Bug was a very strange movie, but I've seen and heard worse tales, working with real people with mental health issues!

I don't think most horror "fans" are looking to be scared, so much as trying to find a feeling of creepiness or an unexpected turn in the film. Horror games like the first couple of Silent Hill games are far scarier than anything I've seen in a film.

The Possession is a recent film that I enjoyed because it twisted a different genre into a horror flick. It's basically The Parent Trap, played seriously, but with a touch of The Exorcist and Poltergeist thrown in the mix.

I don't think most horror "fans" are looking to be scared, so much as trying to find a feeling of creepiness or an unexpected turn in the film.
I don't actually agree with that tbh. I want to be scared. (I do want the other stuff too though). I want to be afraid of what might happen without knowing, but I want to be surprised too (ie my Final Destination reference above). There's not been a single horror film in many years that has "scared" me. It's not even about desensitization - most horror films just don't build any atmosphere or tension into them - nowadays it's all "here is a monster, here is a victim, here is the gore." Rinse and repeat.

There's no personality, no caring for the (generally poorly acted) potential victim(s) and pretty much everyone is rooting for the bad guy. I don't want that now. I don't want to hang pictures of anti-heroes on my wall anymore (I did that back in the Elm Street early years). I want something to seriously shit me up. But only in a film. And I'm not sure that they have the power to do that anymore, because they don't make horror movies now - they make non-animated violent cartoons with cartoon characters in cartoon situations doing cartoon things in a cartoon world.

That's why I liked Frozen - yeah, it was still pretty much a "cartoon" - the events were improbable, but the situation really made you think - what would I do in that situation? (even though you'd never be in that situation).

It's all about psychology. Psychological thrillers are generally much "scarier" than any horror film; unfortunately they rarely make you jump. A good horror should make you think and jump. It shouldn;t just be a passive thing. You should be strapped in, along for the ride and be unable to escape. It should be like rubber necking a car crash - you know you shouldn't but you have to.

I don't particularly enjoy a jump scare. They do make me jump and I don't particularly enjoy that. I'd not dismiss and otherwise good psych horror just because it has a couple of jump scares in it, but I usually enjoy those more the second time around as I know then when the jumps are coming.

It's not the jumps I watch a horror for either - but they do show that the atmosphere and tension is good enough to promote a physical response!

Funny enough, I went to see Prince Of Darkness twice. The second time I enjoyed watching the audience jumping more than watching the film itself.

Nuclear Exodus: Pandora's Promise Was A Liehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrZZNzC3f8g
If you really do not get scared, then try to watch this. Once you get to the deformed children, you'd either be crying or numb.

It is about the real cost of having nuclear energy. Very disturbing. Now in the face of TEPCO trying to salvage Fukushima dai1 reactor 4. If something goes wrong... we will have only a few generations left.

I have always seen it as a sci if, however, a lot of people say Alien is their favourite horror. Pretty good one in that light actually.

Back