How Can I Use Non-Pnd Apps?

jiuzhege

Still Fresh
for example, I tried to play .rmvb files with vlc and gome-mplayer but failed.

So from some thread I know here ......http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=mplayer

Can I try these apps and how? Which is the right version?
I can't fine the "package manager opkg" in the menu?? How to uninstall an linux app...?

Thx.. Hope I am not repeating some FAQ.....

I'm no video expert, but I'm pretty sure that *.rm and *.rmvb need the win32codecs to work under Linux.
But in turn Win32codecs requiere intel processor.
So I guess you'll out of luck playing these files.
By the way, gnome-mplayer is a frontend of the mplayer libraries as is mplayer you won't win any feature installing the other.

N_2 said:
for example, I tried to play .rmvb files with vlc and gome-mplayer but failed.

So from some thread I know here ......http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=mplayer

Can I try these apps and how? Which is the right version?
I can't fine the "package manager opkg" in the menu?? How to uninstall an linux app...?

Thx.. Hope I am not repeating some FAQ.....
opkg is a command line tool. There's no fancy package manager like in Ubuntu.
If you want to try installing these (and be aware, it DOES install them, copying them onto the NAND. You will risk running out of space if you do this, so be sure you know how to reflash if you have to) then the following commands will get you there
Code:
sudo opkg update
sudo opkg install <packagename>
You will need your password. Replace <packagename> with the package name. mplayer, for example.
I don't think it'll help, however. rmvb is a proprietary and very closed format and I'm not certain that any non-x86 open source player will ever be able to play it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The package list provided on the page for the Community Codec Pack seems to indicate that "mplayer_0.0+1.0rc3+svnr30165-r20.5" and "mplayer-common_0.0.1-r1.5" are installed, as well as GNOME-mplayer. :p

EDIT: Ninja'd. :ph34r:

Alerino said:
well, did played a rmvb file here, oc'ed to 800 for better performance, no problem
Well then, consider me pleasantly surprised :)

sebt3 said:
No, only gnome-mplayer is :)
The gnome player is just a graphical frontend for the actual application. It does not work without mplayer.

So, when people say "use mplayer" you can use any of the graphical frontends. I prefer the commandline.

Alibobar said:
sebt3 said:
No, only gnome-mplayer is :)
The gnome player is just a graphical frontend for the actual application. It does not work without mplayer.

So, when people say "use mplayer" you can use any of the graphical frontends. I prefer the commandline.

Yes. To open your file in Mplayer, just type 'mplayer YOURFILENAME' from a terminal (pressing tab will autocomplete the filename if it's long and tedious to type). Or you can associate it within Thunar.

It uses way way less resources than Gnome Mplayer (which I never use).

SomeGuy99 said:
Yes. To open your file in Mplayer, just type 'mplayer YOURFILENAME' from a terminal (pressing tab will autocomplete the filename if it's long and tedious to type). Or you can associate it within Thunar.
There's also a new set of hotkeys to learn.
Fun for all the family! :)

SomeGuy99 posted on 03 August 2010 - 02:58 PM said:
It uses way way less resources than Gnome Mplayer (which I never use).

At least on the beagleboard I haven't noticed much performance difference between mplayer and gnome-mplayer. the X server itself seems to be the biggest performance hit. If there is a video that is a little more heavy I end up quitting out of X completely and use mplayer with the omapfb video out or just omapfbplay, since it draws directly to the framebuffer.I still can't get the beagleboard to run .h264 videos even at 720p at a decent speed though.

I had an absolutely rank piece of Chinese MP4 playing shit that used to be able to play realmedia. Sadly it's 1.8" screen was gradually turning me into the ocular equivelant of Stevie Wonder so I took it to pieces and tried to attach a bigger screen. Now it doesn't play anything, but what do you expect for £35?

Aninhumer said:
SomeGuy99 said:
There's also a new set of hotkeys to learn.
Fun for all the family! :)

Sod that for a game of soliders.

I put mine in slave mode and mapped all the controls to keyboard shortcuts that can be used ANYWHERE. Great for music playing in the background!

The startup script for this (also mapped) would seek out all my MP3 files and start playing them randomly within uh... 2 seconds?

Alerino said:
well, did played a rmvb file here, oc'ed to 800 for better performance, no problem
video size: 608x336
video format: rv40
video codec: FFRV40
video fps: 23.000

audio codec: FFCOOK
audio channels: 2
audio bitrate 64kB/s

i bet that is the max pandora can handle at the moment, until our devs start tweaking on hw acceleration and stuff

edit: CLI mplayer with wifi wpa2 on

which player?

N_2 said:
Alerino said:

audio codec: FFCOOK
audio channels: 2
audio bitrate 64kB/s

i bet that is the max pandora can handle at the moment, until our devs start tweaking on hw acceleration and stuff

edit: CLI mplayer with wifi wpa2 on

which player?

Read his edit, he used mplayer.

-God Ginrai

Alerino said:
Well yes, I'd imagine a realmedia file encoded with ffmpeg would work fine in mplayer.
I can't imagine they'd have an encoder if they didn't have a decoder.

Back