How Come This Costs $80?

Ricavision is also developing the 'Home E-Reader', a Windows SideShow handheld with a large, high-contrast, low power e-Paper display. The E-Reader is designed for off line reading of downloaded documents and e-books.

This is what I am more interested in. Hopefully a cheap ePaper reader that is distributed world wide.

Edit: Just read a small article on it, it looks like it is tied to Vista ¬¬

Interesting. I wonder what way MS will try to enter the handheld market one day - the Wii has already doomed the gamepad, which is way past it's prime.

Does anyone remember the original NES gamepads? Advertising always had kids putting them on the floor and using them. They were small as to be cheap - no one realized kids would - pick them up. Then as gamepads got more complicated, no one bothered to use any fingers other than our thumbs and pointer fingers (in the back). And FPS with your thumbs? Geez that was technology waiting to be replaced by something better.

So as to new handhelds - it will be cost / software / what it brings to the table. DS has a stylus and two screens. PSP has ... a widescreen, a Dpad, and ghosting. GP2X has emulators (at 2 commercial games we can't say it has that).

You can't really use motion controls with a handheld - "Whee I can't see the screen!" Probably a stylus.

4GB of flash memory, with a 80Mhz CPU is like having a school bus with a motorcycle engine. Yeah, you can get lots of people inside, that's cool. It's nice to open 200 adobe acrobat readers at the same time without having to close them. Let alone that vista is probably going to suck 79.99Mhz.

And, it looks horrid, and it's still in beta. Can ANYONE actually play with that thing? What the hell happened to Zune? That thing is horrible and I would better stick with a Palm or pocket PC than that terribly designed PDA.

And, the first model which has something useful is $150, that's almost like the GP2X. And the GP2X:

- Has 200Mhz
- Has enough RAM for many, many uses
- Looks pretty
- Won't need windows updates each 5 minutes,
- won't crash
- won't scream VISTA all around
- won't waste 99% of your resources

But wait! There's a screenshot of solitaire! It'll be nice if they could upload a genesis, NES, MAME, NeoGeo (etc. etc. etc.) screenshot instead! ;)

I hardly get pissed of, but this kind of topics really make me wanna cry.

Banzai GP2X!

eaterofdog said:
Check this thing out. Goes for $40.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.827

We have one of those too! :D It plays pirate NES games. (With pirate, I mean remakes of games with weird music and strange sprites, such as those 500-in-1 NES games)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the display looks like playing the actual NES back in 1988 with an RF cable. I'm not kidding, just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please notice than I'm comparing "bills of materials" for SideShow and GP2X, not the devices themselves!!

It's an unfair comparison, that's my opinion. It's like saying how come a dell costs $1000 and a refurbished Pentium III costs $300. At least that's what the topic suggests.

Anyway, it's just my POV about the sideview. Maybe it'll be a complete success, maybe it will suck. Who knows! But I don't think it will have any effect, either positive or negative for the GP2X. Two completely different markets.

A little off-topic, but someone mentioned about trying to get GP2X mainstream "in the hands of kids". Something to that effect.

Good Lord no. Do you really want that to happen? I'm fairly happy with GP2X being very niche as Squidge said, because more people using the device means more stupid people use the device. Have you ever read (or tried to read) a PSP or more recently DS message board? That's what happens when your device goes mainstream in the hands of kids. It really makes you wish the sun would go nova.

A r k said:
4GB of flash memory, with a 80Mhz CPU is like having a school bus with a motorcycle engine. Yeah, you can get lots of people inside, that's cool. It's nice to open 200 adobe acrobat readers at the same time without having to close them. Let alone that vista is probably going to suck 79.99Mhz.

*snip*
Dude, i don't think that the 4GB is RAM. It's just memory for storage. ;)

iatneH said:
A little off-topic, but someone mentioned about trying to get GP2X mainstream "in the hands of kids". Something to that effect.

Good Lord no. Do you really want that to happen? I'm fairly happy with GP2X being very niche as Squidge said, because more people using the device means more stupid people use the device. Have you ever read (or tried to read) a PSP or more recently DS message board? That's what happens when your device goes mainstream in the hands of kids. It really makes you wish the sun would go nova.
I mostly agree, being a kid myself. :D
Many of the psp/ds forums are flooded with questions on "howz duz i get teh romz?"
The gp2x doesn't seem to have this problem, luckily. Besides many kids these days would rather have their parents give them $40 so they can buy a game and stick it in instead of doing the small, slightly educational, task of setting up homebrew. Also I can't tell you how many friends I have who beg me to load their psp's with roms and set up the emulators, but I refuse :ninja: and tell them that they need to learn it for themselves.

whiskthecat said:
iatneH said:

I mostly agree, being a kid myself. :D
Many of the psp/ds forums are flooded with questions on "howz duz i get teh romz?"
The gp2x doesn't seem to have this problem, luckily. Besides many kids these days would rather have their parents give them $40 so they can buy a game and stick it in instead of doing the small, slightly educational, task of setting up homebrew. Also I can't tell you how many friends I have who beg me to load their psp's with roms and set up the emulators, but I refuse :ninja: and tell them that they need to learn it for themselves.

That is the main problem with promoting the GP2X to others: It is not plug-and-play like the PSP and Gameboys are. People see mine and want to get one and I tell them that the GP2X is more like a computer than a PSP. Many people can’t even install software on their PCs using installers, don’t understand file systems, and can’t be bothered learning how to configure each different emulator’s controls and other settings. The GP2X is a wonderful tool for those who at least could understand and manually setup a few emulators on their desktop computer. Unless someone shows the capacity to want to learn [RTFM] to do these things I don’t recommend it.

Slideshow.... 3rd rate knockoff of those amazing looking e-dictionaries the Koreans / Japanese / Chinese always seem to have (http://handhelds.engadget.com/tag/e-dictionary/).

I'd love to see something like this (http://www.engadget.com/tag/d5/) ; but with a D-pad on the left.

Back