How Do I Go About Making A Port?

angry_black_man

Still Fresh
Hi, I'm new here and recently bought a gp2x. I'm interested in the process I have to go through to make a port. I understand that it's probably going to be long and difficult but this is something I'm willing to learn.

First off, YES, I DO HAVE THE SOURCE CODE. It's a port of Ultima IV that I'm looking to make (who's source code was released). If anyone can provide any help, thank you.

p.s. sorry if this is the wrong forum. I didn't know whether to stick this here or the new guy forum.

you need to learn to program so you can understand the source code

then its a matter of changing the code for the controls and graphics etc to suit the gp2x

I know a small bit of C, a tiny bit of C++, and a good deal of BASIC (although I've forgotten most of it, I still have my notebook from school). I'm just curious as to what gp2x uses to compile the source code or what kind of executables gp2x reads?

most source code you'll find will be in c/c++, which needs to be compiled into an executable for the gp2x hardware, as opposed to compiling for the pc.

see here: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Getting_started_...P2X_development

before you try porting anything, you'll want to set up a working dev environment, learn about C/C++ , and try coding some simple programs and work your way up. Although you don't need to be a super coder to port some simpler things, you'll need to know enough to be able to read through the source code and know what it does and what needs changing.

mrsnature said:
most source code you'll find will be in c/c++, which needs to be compiled into an executable for the gp2x hardware, as opposed to compiling for the pc.

see here: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Getting_started_...P2X_development

before you try porting anything, you'll want to set up a working dev environment, learn about C/C++ , and try coding some simple programs and work your way up. Although you don't need to be a super coder to port some simpler things, you'll need to know enough to be able to read through the source code and know what it does and what needs changing.

alrightey, thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back