How Do You Change The Default Browser?

Loon

Does anyone know how to change the default browser to Chromium?

Was going to be lazy and wait for it to be done with hotfix 3 but it appears the change in default browser did not make the fix.

I've tried SETTINGS, PREFERRED APPLICATIONS, gone to the drop down list and selected other and then browsed to chromium.pnd

However what I really want is to point it at chromium.exe (or linux equivalent).

So I guess my question should be : Where can I find chromium.exe?

mindlord said:
you need to make it say:
Code:
pnd_run /media/[Card ID]/pandora[apps/menu/desktop]/chromium.pnd

Cheers for the quick response mindlord.

But it does not seem to work, no LED showing SD being read, nothing happens, no error message.

This is what I tried :
Code:
pnd_run /media/PAN_APPS/pandora/apps/Chromium.pnd "%s"

The PND begins with a capital C and my SD card is called PAN_APPS. The "%s" appears to be added automatically by the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll download it and tinker. If I find the solution I'll post it here. :)

Edit: Solution:
surround the pnd_run /media/[Card ID]/pandora/apps/Chromium.pnd with single quotes fn+a

Code:
'pnd_run /media/PAN_APPS/pandora/apps/Chromium.pnd' "%s"

mindlord said:
Solution:

Code:
'pnd_run /media/PAN_APPS/pandora/apps/Chromium.pnd' "%s"

Worked a treat, many thanks Mindlord, you da man. :)

Nice to learn a little bit about command line syntax as well.

I just tried changing my default browser to links.pnd in the Xfce settings, and it didn't work. It also didn't recognize pnd files as being executables.
So the only way to do this is via command line? Isn't that a bug that should be fixed?

Esn said:
I just tried changing my default browser to links.pnd in the Xfce settings, and it didn't work. It also didn't recognize pnd files as being executables.
So the only way to do this is via command line? Isn't that a bug that should be fixed?
Change it with Settings -> Preferred Applications -> Web Browser to read (note the single quotes):

Code:
'pnd_run /media/YOUR_SD_CARD/path/to/links.pnd' "%s"
This works for me eg. when you click on the Browser-Icon on the Xfce-Panel.

But this has really a caveat: if some application now tries to start the Xfce-Standard-Browser by calling

Code:
exo-open --launch WebBrowser "http://example.com"
you'll get an error-message stating it can't execute the default web-browser.
This is independent of the browser, this message appears with Chromium, Links2 and NetSurf.

If you leave out the "http://example.com"-part, the browser opens without problems.
Seems there's some trouble with the parameter-handling in the way Xfce calls the pnd_run.

But many thanks to you - i've noticed that my startup-script in my links-package doesn't honour parameters - will reupload soon a changed version to the file-archive!

EDIT: new Version of Links2 now honours commandline-parameter.

Back