How Is The Battery Life Indicator Going To Be?

I regularly use all my battery powered electronics until they physically shut off through low battery state. I still have a phone that i carry around for emergency (back-up) purposes that is around 5 years old, And still has the same original battery, That still lasts for weeks on standby and days when powered on and used, That was treated in exactly the same way as all my electronic (As mentioned above), With no ill effects on battery life or condition.

I personally would like the option to have a warning at a round 25% then another critical warning that the system will shut down in say 5 minutes at around say 3% (maybe with a flashing red led). That would/should give me plenty of time to save or finish what i was doing before the system shut down.

Trooper

If I recall, most (or all) lithium-ion batteries have internal circuitry that prevents the battery from being overcharged or discharged too much to preserve battery life.

It's probable that the Li-ion battery in Pandora has a built in circuit that shuts down the battery before it gets damaged. A discharge protection circuit is standard on all Li-ion batteries. "0% battery" on Pandora would be right when the circuit decided to shut down the battery to protect it, and there would be no need for the user to take battery protection into consideration..

Easiest thing is just to have it configurable in the power settings, yes?

"When battery reaches 25% capacity [Change power light to orange]"
"When battery reaches 10% capacity [Change power light to red]"
"When battery is critical [Hibernate Immediately]" (to prevent data loss, f.ex)

Options could be [Change power light to orange], [Change power light to red], [Flash power light orange/red], [Go into standby], [Hibernate], etc...

An example would be playing a game or video on the device, power light changes to orange, and you shut off the device. Later that day, you need to lookup some information, you switch the device back on and notice the power light. You then know you have at least 15 minutes (or whatever) as the power light has not yet turned red.

Once it turned red and hibernated (or whatever), an attempt to turn the device back on would just result in the power light flashing red and no other activity unless it was switched off again, or connected to the mains.

Squidge said:

"When battery reaches 25% capacity [Change power light to orange]"
"When battery reaches 10% capacity [Change power light to red]"
"When battery is critical [Hibernate Immediately]" (to prevent data loss, f.ex)

Options could be [Change power light to orange], [Change power light to red], [Flash power light orange/red], [Go into standby], [Hibernate], etc...

An example would be playing a game or video on the device, power light changes to orange, and you shut off the device. Later that day, you need to lookup some information, you switch the device back on and notice the power light. You then know you have at least 15 minutes (or whatever) as the power light has not yet turned red.

Once it turned red and hibernated (or whatever), an attempt to turn the device back on would just result in the power light flashing red and no other activity unless it was switched off again, or connected to the mains.

Suppose we want green light on low battery and red on high? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:

Yes.

(And as long as you don't say "Done!", else we'll know you are Gordon Ramsey in disguise ;) )

I have a confession to make...I think a fade would be cool when it's starting up. "Throbbing" I guess you would say.

And flash red and green when the boot fails :D

rokdcasbah said:
I have a confession to make...I think a fade would be cool when it's starting up. "Throbbing" I guess you would say.

How about a complete LED-Function Test at startup like in Cars used? :lol:

fusion_power said:
rokdcasbah said:

How about a complete LED-Function Test at startup like in Cars used? :lol:

My new keyboard (it's a Nord) has a boot sequence. I've never owned a keyboard that was complicated enough to have to boot an OS. It's sort of depressing. I hope that I can play really really badly without bricking it.

Well, heh, you guys can argue and whatnot about how your system will work.

All I know is, I'll be begging the developers to write some sort of /proc or led-config functionality where I can write a file or call a binary and tell it a particular color and brightness value.

That way I can run a cron job that updates the led every 120 seconds using a bash script.

[/end of discussion] ;)

Back