How Is The Gp2X F100?

dnlgreenwood

I'LL END YOU!!!
Someone offered to sell me a GP2x F100, but I don't know much about it. is it good? how good is the SNES and Genesis emulation? What can it emulate? Can I plug in a network adapter? Anything else I should know?

They are pretty decent, although the build quality is somewhat lacking. Mine always feels like it's falling apart and the shoulder buttons are a bit rattly. A lot of people hated the joystick on it, although I didn't mind it. My only problem with the joystick were the sharp edges on the top, which could become rather uncomfortable after awhile.

Overall, the emulators were really good.

It's awhile since I used it, but I believe SNES emulation was ok after all the excellent work Squidge did on squidgesnes. I do remember that there were problems with transparencies in games as the GP2X was too slow to process them in the way the SNES worked.
To overcome this you could stuff like disable layers, for example in Zelda, there were meant to be semitransparent clouds that went overhead. As transparency wasn't available you'd just get a screen full of clouds and couldn't see anything below. Disabling the cloud layer let you see what was going on again.

Genesis emulation was spot on after the work notaz did on picodrive.

I loved playing on the NeoGeo emulator (which felt perfect to me, although it was probably a bit slow).

NES was also great, along with GB. There was also the awesome game made for it called Tilematch. There were a bunch of other great games and emulators as well, although I can't remember their names right now!

If you do get it then I'd flash it with Open2X. I tried it a few months ago and it is a huge improvement over the original OS/firmware/whatever. It's just a shame that it didn't really come out until after the pandora was announced and interest in the GP2X had been killed off :(

If you can get the GP2X really cheap and don't have any of the recent handhelds (Cannoo, Wiz, Dingoo, etc) then I'd say take it, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Edit: Forgot to say, I think you can connect a wifi adapter to it although you need to hack together your own cable to make USB available on the expansion port. I think the schematics are on the GP2X wiki site.

Com64 said:
Someone offered to sell me a GP2x F100, but I don't know much about it. is it good? how good is the SNES and Genesis emulation? What can it emulate? Can I plug in a network adapter? Anything else I should know?

Uhh, Dan? LOL, it's me, the seller who contacted you through craigslist.

Small world.

Last edited by a moderator:
lobski said:
Com64 said:

Uhh, Dan? LOL, it's me, the seller who contacted you through craigslist.

Small world.

Lol! this isn't the first time this has happened to me here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back