How Long Is Reasonably Long?

transmition

Still Fresh
Like all of you, I have been waiting for my pandora. I have been waiting for a while now, and even though progress gets made, I feel that there has been far too much instability from the chinese factory.

In other words, if they don't nail the case perfectly and start mass production soon, I think I will cancel my order.
The thing is, what is a proper definition of 'soon'? I feel that if MP doesn't start by the end of January, then I ought to cancel.

Is that unreasonable?

The factory says they will finish case modifications on the 15th, so if the make a few samples on the same day and ship them out, which takes about a week, then we're looking at the end of January for the a possible green light for mass production.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51291-2nd-review-case-should-arrive-soon/page__view__findpost__p__795594

Last edited by a moderator:
Unreasonably long is however long you decide is too long. If you want to cancel your order then just do it and I'm sure Jacqueline will sort it for you without too much hassle.
If you want to wait until January or February or whenever then do so, but I don't think you really need people to tell you what you think.

Everyone has a limit I guess. Mine would be somewhere in September-November 2010 I think. However I strongly believe that the Pandora will be in my hans long before that. If your limit is in January, bad luck...

Transmition said:
Like all of you, I have been waiting for my pandora. I have been waiting for a while now, and even though progress gets made, I feel that there has been far too much instability from the chinese factory.

In other words, if they don't nail the case perfectly and start mass production soon, I think I will cancel my order.
The thing is, what is a proper definition of 'soon'? I feel that if MP doesn't start by the end of January, then I ought to cancel.

Is that unreasonable?
You should take enough time to think about a cancellation. If you cancel and decide that you still want Pandora, you'll have to wait _much_ longer, because the next batch(es) will be preorders, too. If you need the money for something else, back out now. If you can afford to wait, then wait.

Transmition said:

Is that unreasonable?

just wait bro, when you hold that little/big Pandora in ur hands you will smile and be happy ^^ it will pay off, remember were paying 330 bucks for something good, almost perfect ^__^ we have to wait for it to be finish

Im currently in the nr. 1700 - 1800 shipping line..
Q: I was thinking about ordering another one of the first batch since manny people cansel, but mabye wait untuil second batch due to modifications?

eeekubuntu said:
Q: I was thinking about ordering another one of the first batch since manny people cansel, but mabye wait untuil second batch due to modifications?
modifications... rinse your mouth out. They worked to get the first batch perfect, any modifications would then be to make it a worse product :)

Well, you can always buy one from ebay after the first 400 units are released. This way you may well get yours earlier than most other people who have pre-ordered. I am sure there are at least some "I-bought-it-for-you-services" in the queue. :D
So the question is not whether or not you get one form the first batch but at what price.

I can want, until i die, but not longer....... :closedeyes:
but i would like, if the pandora comes bevore end of karneval vacations..

I want the Pandora, whey should i cancel?

The Pandora is a unique product. I've just seen some videos from CES with like 5 or so netbooks/ebook readers/tablets and every time I think "that's too big for me". Another thing all these products (and all the expensive smartphones) are missing, game controls!

If you're not into the Pandora concept then do as you wish but if you want an open handheld with touchscreen, game controls and keyboard then you just have to wait.

chris_r said:
Unreasonably long is however long you decide is too long. If you want to cancel your order then just do it and I'm sure Jacqueline will sort it for you without too much hassle.
Who is Jacquelyn anyway?
All I know about her is she's an extremely nice person with great customer service skills who's had the unenviable task of dealing with the sales aspect of all the people who have ordered the Pandora.

eeekubuntu said:

I would not worry too much... unless something goes really wrong they should identical.

The cases will be the same because they are produced in a 10'000 unit batch. They won't modify the board or the component unless they find a major issue with it. Considering the board are pretty well tested now I think it's quite unlikely.

Awakening said:
The Pandora is a unique product. I've just seen some videos from CES with like 5 or so netbooks/ebook readers/tablets and every time I think "that's too big for me". Another thing all these products (and all the expensive smartphones) are missing, game controls!

Don't forget battery capacity! Why on earth do those companies undermine ARM's brilliancy by putting ridiculously small mobile phone batteries in their devices? The only thing that is interesting is that Lenovo ARM-tablet-CULV-hybrid-thingy. 60h of battery life. But it's no handheld and will cost $1000, so f* it.

mali said:
Awakening said:

Don't forget battery capacity! Why on earth do those companies undermine ARM's brilliancy by putting ridiculously small mobile phone batteries in their devices? The only thing that is interesting is that Lenovo ARM-tablet-CULV-hybrid-thingy. 60h of battery life. But it's no handheld and will cost $1000, so f* it.

I don't remember which one but there was a Snapdragon based device with 10h battery life. And there's also the Nokia netbook that have 12h battery life (seen it on Bytejackers). What we don't know is how these hours measures up to the Pandora's hours, that is what kind of settings they are using. It is interesting to see devices with built in 3G support so you can be online wherever you are without attaching anything to them, I would love to see that on a Pandora 2 if it's not too expensive to add.

I know their battery life claims, but I rather trust in facts like battery capacity ;) One of those 7" tablets claims a battery life of 10h with a 1900mAh battery. You might reach that battery life, but not without certain periods of standby. We got 4000+mAh and a smaller screen so _real_ 10h under _real_ load are possible. That Nokia Netbook is supposedly the "Booklet"(x86) and just a ridiculous battery life claim.

Edit:
I've checked, there are Digitimes rumors about a Nokia smartbook. They fail to deliver anyway, so I wouldn't put much trust in their battery life claims.

I'm thinking about this whole thing as an investment.

If you stay and remain a first batcher, you are helping make headway for a little bit of open source history. Looking over the project, sure some of you knew what you were getting into. Pulling out has never entered my mind once, hell, when my money got refunded I actually was worried that I wouldn't get back in as a first batcher.

My only real worry is if the Pandora will be on my doorstep come May 11th, because I could really use it come my trip to Japan.

Even beyond that, I don't expect miracles. I feel I am a stockholder of this company, and I feel the developers are making real effort and real progress. I hope they sell a million of these when they get finished, and I can be proud I was one of the first to help them get started.

There is lots of cool stuff appearing at CES today, but I don't think many of the products can be bought today - even if they happen to be a good fit with what you personally want to do with pandora.

Back