How Many Gp32's Have Been Sold Through To Consumer

christo930

How many gp32's have been sold through to the consumer (not just sitting on retail shelves in aisa, europe, lik sangs...)? Has Gamepark made money with the gp32? Even a litlle profit, is profit and worth doing again.

Chris

in a business aspect, i don't think so. however, i doubt that the true number would ever be revealed, i would bet it's less than 10,000 units, if I were to take a guess, throughout the world i would say that 3,000 units have been sold. If there are more than 10,000 people in the world with GP32's i'd be really suprised, even in Korea i don't think there is 10,000 units sold. I can't imagine that gamepark has sold enough units that it could rely on the Gamepark as the main source of income, we know its not the commercial games. Somehow i think that Gamepark is up to something, they are now known as Gamepark holdings. Did they get bought by another company? I think they have another source of income, a hidden source that we don't know about.

I think its about 20-25,000 units. At once point a translated inverview said 150,000 but i think it must have been 15,000.

I'd say gamepark probably make 100% profit on each unit, afterall that is the only way they can make money, and the parts are very cheap now.

I don't know exactly how many we have sold at GBAX but it is many thousands.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

ok, i'm really suprised about that, and actually wouldn't believe it myself coming from any other person than you Craig.

EDIT: Craig, is your number 20-25,000 based on units sold to distributors or from distributors to end users?

not to be rude... but why are you telling us this? Honestly.. speculating and guessing is all any of us can do... even if there is a protype for the Xtreme floating around in some Korean office buiding or lab, it may never surface or it may be out in a year... who knows.

Whether the gp32 made a profit is not really the point... handhelds don't really make their money from selling the hardware to the consumer, in most cases it actually costs more to make a handheld than the company sells it for... handheld companies make their money on commercial game lisences. Gamepark has none... no Capcom, no Square Enix...

The thing we love about our gp32 is the thing the big name game devs hate... its got an open source platform. which means their games can be and currently are being pirated on the gp32. This means that the suits in their offices see the gp32 as a moneypit.. If they spend money making a game to sell to us for the gp32 they know that there is abetter chance that game will be stolen and made into an image or rom than sold to most people who choose to play it.

Bottom line is... no commercial dev support = no commercial success. and no profit.

Yeah, remember its been for sale since 2001.

Liksang once said they had sold 6,000 (and that was about a year ago), I know at gbax we have sold something like 6-8,000 (more or less, I might total it all up one day). Thats nearing 15k, and not taking into account the numbers sold in Korea etc.

Seems most end up in the UK - there seems to be a trend for the UK loving oddball things like the GP32. I think it goes back to ZX Spectrum and the Amiga days.

I suppose a total for the registered users of this forum would give an idea of numbers of active users...

-Craig

www.gbax.com

lets give them the benefit of the doubt, lets say gamepark sold 50,000 units, the price has remained close to the same has it not, lets say average $180 per unit, that would mean Gamepark sold 9million dollars worth of pieces, given the benefit of the doubt again, lets assume it only cost $50 to make a Gamepark, the cost they would have spent would be $2.5million dollars in production cost. Since we don't know how much they spend in monthly expenses or what they pay their employees, we'll just say that they work for free. So the net profit from when Gamepark sold unit 1 to unit 50,000 is $6,500,000.

The point i'm trying to make is this: My numbers are wrong, they should be higher than what they actually are, but even with high numbers, I can't imagine that for years Gamepark has survived on only $6.5million dollars. My company makes that in half a month. I still feel they are making money from something else that we don't know about. I heard something that they developed programs for the korean government, like military simulators, don't know if that is true or not but if it's true, i'm sure that would bring in some nice amounts of cash.

I'm glad to see that Gamepark has not gone bankrupt when all signs should point to them going under years ago, and its exciting to see rumors of a new Gamepark system. We can only speculate, and only the future can tell whats to come.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but wasn't there something about Gamepark making military equipment? Wouldn't this explain the proposed situation of Gamepark's continuing loss of money/only breaking even?

KickinWing posted on Feb 4 2005 at 04:12 PM said:
as per my post above, i thought it was simulations, not actual machinery. Where in PA are you from GPJOSH?
Right around Philly, and I think I speak for my whole city when I say "Go Eagles!" ;) . Where do you live?

Last edited by a moderator:
There must be a fair amount of people who have bought more than one GP32 due to the fairly poor build of the earlier machines (my first FLU broke, and some people with an original non-lit unit have upgraded to FLU or BLU).

GPJosh posted on Feb 4 2005 at 04:20 PM said:
KickinWing posted on Feb 4 2005 at 04:12 PM said:
as per my post above, i thought it was simulations, not actual machinery.  Where in PA are you from GPJOSH?
Right around Philly, and I think I speak for my whole city when I say "Go Eagles!" ;) . Where do you live?

Im just outside of Philly. God i hope that the Eagles can pull it off!!

I can't imagine that for years Gamepark has survived on only $6.5million dollars

From a country where 'small business' means 20 people or less (compared to the US where 'small business' means 100 people or less), I can tell you that 6.5 million dollars is a lot of money, and more than enough for a company - even a production facility - to run for, what, 4 years now? Especially if your resources are cheap.

You have to compare it to other asian/korean manufacturing compaies of the same size, not to the US equivalent, or what you think would be the US equivalent.

There is so much speculation going on in this post that that figure of 6.5 million could, in reality, be anywhere from $250 dollars to $25 million! Maybe they have other products/ service areas? Maybe they have financial backers? - who knows :p

if you look on gameparks site you would see they have holding in other things besides the gp32, they seem to have holdings in all kinds of handheld gadgets....including cell phones and pda's

B) wildo2ne

You figure there have been at least 25,000 from members from gp32spain, gp32x, and gpzigi. Now many people have more than 1 gp32, there are many people not registered at the boards i'm guessing as well. Also some stores have them in stock as well. So maybe around ~30000 - 40000 around there. Of course there are recycled Gp32's so my estimate is wrong but the ball park should be around there. Also they make money on accessories they sell, replacement battery cases, usb cords, screen covers, etc...

I don't know when gamepark was actually started but in 3 years, from the 6.5million USD that you gave, in 4 years they make ~135400 a month. So you incorporate property costs, working costs, etc... doesn't seem bad for a small company, but who knows. :p

KickinWing posted on Feb 4 2005 at 08:05 PM said:
in a business aspect, i don't think so. however, i doubt that the true number would ever be revealed, i would bet it's less than 10,000 units, if I were to take a guess, throughout the world i would say that 3,000 units have been sold. If there are more than 10,000 people in the world with GP32's i'd be really suprised, even in Korea i don't think there is 10,000 units sold. I can't imagine that gamepark has sold enough units that it could rely on the Gamepark as the main source of income, we know its not the commercial games. Somehow i think that Gamepark is up to something, they are now known as Gamepark holdings. Did they get bought by another company? I think they have another source of income, a hidden source that we don't know about.

When you say another source of income we don't know about, I'd hate to think that it's a money laundering operation. How close is Korea to the golden triangle? Alot of Heroin money in that area (the golden triangle). I's hate to think we were supporting bad money from any source, let alone drugs.

You figure there have been at least 25,000 from members from gp32spain, gp32x, and gpzigi. Now many people have more than 1 gp32, there are many people not registered at the boards i'm guessing as well.
yes but there are probably some people who registered on the boards and don't have a GP32.. I regestered here ~6 months before I finally got money to buy my gp32 from you!

Gamepark designs stuff for the military? i know i wouldn't trust them with my soldiers lol, if they can't do a flash player like they promised how are they supposed to make military stuff!?

Maks posted on Feb 5 2005 at 02:36 AM said:
Gamepark designs stuff for the military? i know i wouldn't trust them with my soldiers lol, if they can't do a flash player like they promised how are they supposed to make military stuff!?

Your comparison does not make any sense. The lack of a flash player does not put soldiers at risk or in danger :blink: Did Gamepark promise a flash player anyway ???.

Trooper

Back