How Many Gp32's Have Been Sold Through To Consumer

I was on gp32.com and found out that they have a subsidiary, SEPLUS.COM (under FAMILY SITE menu on the Korean gp32.com).

Apparently Gamepark also does graphics design. From the clues on the SEPLUS website, it seems that they've designed for a few companies in that area, including 2 websites for Samsung. And their stuff looks similar to the design of the gp32 website.

So if this is true, maybe they get their money from here, since a company would probably pay a good amount of money for someone to design their site.

A lot of you are forgetting something:

1) The cost of living in most countries is lower than that in the USA. ;) 6.5 million in US terms may have quite a lot more buying power in South Korea.

2) Gamepark seems to be a very small company. Keep in mind that Bumhong Lee, their vice president, is the one who answers their emails . :blink: :p (I remember somebody saying that not too long ago...)

3) I'm pretty sure that they say (or said) on their website somewhere that they got started with a government grant, at least part of which they may have used to develop the GP32. ;) It does seem that their original purpose was not to be makers of handheld systems...

And for all of you who are saying that you can't make money by selling hardware...

How do you think Dell makes money, then? :ph34r:

I think this making money/not making money thing has been confused here.

worldwriter wrote previously about how makers of handheld systems (and consoles in general) sell at a loss and make their money on games. That is a world away from computer makers like Dell whose only profit stream (well their main one) is from making and selling computer systems.

I don't think that Gamepark would have been selling the GP32 at a loss though, not even from the start. Whereas Sony, Nintendo and MS can do this because they then get all their revenue from the games that are sold. Gamepark on the other hand is making the GP32 for a completely different market, so of course they are going to make sure what they sell the unit for will cover all costs and make a little profit for them too. This is why the price on the GP32 really has not dropped since it has been released, since Gamepark simply can't afford to. And it will stay that way until GP32's successor is released or Gamepark stop making handhelds, whichever comes first.

You can buy a nice meal in Korea for two people in an expensive resaurant for a couple of pounds (and that's in the tourist areas, it will be cheaper else where). I think workers would probably get paid a couple of dollars on the production line (a day),so $6.5m would go along way. Don't forget they are heavily subsidised by the korean government as well. And the GP must cost next to nothing to make these days.

Back