How Much Battery...

crasherball

hey,
since I wanna use the pandora also as a mp3player, and I always wanna carry around all my music - as i do now - I really cant work with sd-cards

theyre expensive and got too low of a capacity.

so I was thinking about hookin up a 2,5"harddrive to it. ( I still gotta figure out how to make it not look like shit, walkin with 2 giant things in my pocket)

so anyway....
I was wondering....
how much batterylife will a harddrive drain from the pandora?

if it plays music all the time, i guess u can assume the harddrive is working all the time
and that gotta consume pretty much energy right?

Probably more than you'd think compared to hard drive-based iPods and the like. They tend to spin up the drive briefly, read lots of tracks that are next in the playlist, then power the drive down again.

General-purpose hard drives tend to run constantly, and so glug down a lot more power than a proper media player's hard drive.

I believe there are external hard drives with their own built-in battery you could use if you were so inclined.

Hmmm, this brings up an interesting question I meant to ask. My children apparently broke the screen on my wife's ipod 30gb. A shame for her, but I must confess i'm now fantasizing about using it as extended storage for my Pandora.
will it just be a matter of plugging the USB cable into the Pandora and using it as a hard drive?
Will it drain my Pandora's battery if the ipod is charged?
If it isn't charged, will it be able to be powered by the Pandora?

ingrin said:
Hmmm, this brings up an interesting question I meant to ask. My children apparently broke the screen on my wife's ipod 30gb. A shame for her, but I must confess i'm now fantasizing about using it as extended storage for my Pandora.
will it just be a matter of plugging the USB cable into the Pandora and using it as a hard drive?
Wouldn't it be better to just open it up and take the Compact Flash out? (Isn't that what iPod HDs are?) Then you could just use a Memory card reader, which probably wouldn't drain extra power for other reasons.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
ingrin said:
Wouldn't it be better to just open it up and take the Compact Flash out? (Isn't that what iPod HDs are?) Then you could just use a Memory card reader, which probably wouldn't drain extra power for other reasons.

-God Ginrai

Nope, the 30gb ones use a 1.8" HD. You should be able to use it as a hard drive, if the iPod's firmware supports UMS mode.

Another option would be to install Rockbox on it and use the blind user's mode, which reads everything to you so you don't need to use the screen. :p

No, they aren't CF cards because then they wouldn't be hard drives. And I'm pretty sure you'd need to develop the drivers yourself since afaik Apple hasn't released any arm drivers and it's a proprietary cable. You may be able to do it with something like ipodlinux, I dunno much about that.

They have portable hard drive enclosures specifically made for iPod backup, as well as using it as a tiny portable hard drive.

Tensuke said:
No, they aren't CF cards because then they wouldn't be hard drives. And I'm pretty sure you'd need to develop the drivers yourself since afaik Apple hasn't released any arm drivers and it's a proprietary cable. You may be able to do it with something like ipodlinux, I dunno much about that.
You won't need a special driver, and it's a standard USB cable - the pins at one end just aren't in the usual USB configuration.
It almost certainly will work - I know older iPods can operate as mass storage devices natively, I'm just not sure about the current generation.

Tom` said:
God Ginrai said:
ingrin said:

-God Ginrai

Nope, the 30gb ones use a 1.8" HD. You should be able to use it as a hard drive, if the iPod's firmware supports UMS mode.

Another option would be to install Rockbox on it and use the blind user's mode, which reads everything to you so you don't need to use the screen. :p

Ah, I see, thank you. (I just noticed that I was thinking of the iPod Mini)

Tensuke said:
You've never heard of a Microdrive have you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdrive

Try learning before teaching.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Tensuke said:

-God Ginrai

"1-inch hard disk designed to fit in a CompactFlash (CF) Type II slot."
:p

Tensuke said:
God Ginrai said:
Tensuke said:

-God Ginrai

"1-inch hard disk designed to fit in a CompactFlash (CF) Type II slot."
:p

It's still essentially a compact flash card.

That's like saying a rechargeable AA battery isn't a AA battery just because you can recharge it.

-God Ginrai

Microdrives and CF cards are identical from a software perspective. Of course, the Microdrive is more fragile due to its moving parts, and draws more power.

Regular iPod hard drives (apart from the mini and nano) are 1.8" form factor, mostly (if not all) made by Toshiba and utilizing a ZIF socket.

Tom` said:
You won't need a special driver, and it's a standard USB cable - the pins at one end just aren't in the usual USB configuration.
It almost certainly will work - I know older iPods can operate as mass storage devices natively, I'm just not sure about the current generation.
I have tried to hook up my iPod 3G to the gp2x with the same idea, but it was unsuccessful. My guess is that it won't work like plug and play on the pandora as well...

miniK0bo said:
Tom` said:
I have tried to hook up my iPod 3G to the gp2x with the same idea, but it was unsuccessful. My guess is that it won't work like plug and play on the pandora as well...

You probably will be able to.
But, how did you hook it up to your 2X? It doesn't have USB host port. Also, in iTunes, make sure you've turned on mass storage.

Tom` said:

PlopperZ said:
miniK0bo said:
Tom` said:

You probably will be able to.
But, how did you hook it up to your 2X? It doesn't have USB host port. Also, in iTunes, make sure you've turned on mass storage.

It definitely has, on the EXT connector.

miniK0bo said:
It works for a 4G iPod under Linux, I think you need to put it in "disk mode" or something (I don't actually own one to test it). anyway, maybe the 2X just doesn't have a USB mass storage driver built in? It is a pretty old linux kernel...

Back