How Much Battery...

scottpe said:
God Ginrai said:
Tensuke said:
God Ginrai said:
Tensuke said:
No, they aren't CF cards because then they wouldn't be hard drives. And I'm pretty sure you'd need to develop the drivers yourself since afaik Apple hasn't released any arm drivers and it's a proprietary cable. You may be able to do it with something like ipodlinux, I dunno much about that.
You've never heard of a Microdrive have you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdrive

Try learning before teaching.

-God Ginrai

"1-inch hard disk designed to fit in a CompactFlash (CF) Type II slot."
:p

It's still essentially a compact flash card.

That's like saying a rechargeable AA battery isn't a AA battery just because you can recharge it.

-God Ginrai

I certainly don't want to start a p*ssing match here, but I just wanted to point out that your logic and analogy are flawed. Just because a device can share the same slot as another doesn't make it the same. A microdrive is not a Compact Flash card. Compact flash, by definition is a solid state technology (i.e., no moving parts). A microdrive/harddrive is not.

I can put a modem, memory card, hard drive, network card all into the PCMCIA slot on my laptop. Does that mean they are all the same thing, just because they all fit in the same slot?

Sorry, but I had to say something after you came across so arrogantly as to accuse another poster of needing to "learn before teaching..." I would offer that you should follow your own advice.

I believe the gist of your point is that for all intents and purposes, Pandora would see the microdrive based device the same way it sees a CF card. That, however, is not exactly how you presented it.

I digress...

I've always looked at the seperate mediums of memory cards as the form, and flash, microdrives, etc. as the technology.

For example, SNES cartridges all attached via the same slot, but had different hardware inside, like special chips and such from each other, yet we still call them all SNES cartridges.

I see it the same way as the SuperDisk. It has the form of a floppy disk, but it's a different technology. Just like the SDHC is still a Secure Digital Card, it's just higher capacity.

Now I admit that that was pretty arrogant for me to say what I did, but I still don't think that there is anything wrong with my facts.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
I've always looked at the seperate mediums of memory cards as the form, and flash, microdrives, etc. as the technology.

For example, SNES cartridges all attached via the same slot, but had different hardware inside, like special chips and such from each other, yet we still call them all SNES cartridges.

I see it the same way as the SuperDisk. It has the form of a floppy disk, but it's a different technology. Just like the SDHC is still a Secure Digital Card, it's just higher capacity.

Now I admit that that was pretty arrogant for me to say what I did, but I still don't think that there is anything wrong with my facts.

-God Ginrai
It's true that CF cards and Microdrives are entirely dissimilar internally, but if you treat them as black boxes they are exactly the same - in terms of input and output they are identical. It's even different from SD vs SDHC, because they are (IIRC) different in hardware - even if they were the same, they certainly aren't software compatible. CF cards and Microdrives are, so it's not like a PCMCIA slot at all. I suppose you could say it's like an eSATA port - you could hook up a traditional hard drive, or an SSD, but in either case the OS sees it the same way and interacts with it identically.

Tom` said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
It's true that CF cards and Microdrives are entirely dissimilar internally, but if you treat them as black boxes they are exactly the same - in terms of input and output they are identical. It's even different from SD vs SDHC, because they are (IIRC) different in hardware - even if they were the same, they certainly aren't software compatible. CF cards and Microdrives are, so it's not like a PCMCIA slot at all. I suppose you could say it's like an eSATA port - you could hook up a traditional hard drive, or an SSD, but in either case the OS sees it the same way and interacts with it identically.

You worded what I was trying to say so much better than I did. Thank you. ^_^

-God Ginrai

Back