How To Build A Pandora

The size and shape are what I was referring to. Your complaint is the tactile feedback of the DS, which obviously won't be mimicked in Pandora, so how is that a valid complaint?

CronoTriggerfan said:
The size and shape are what I was referring to. Your complaint is the tactile feedback of the DS, which obviously won't be mimicked in Pandora, so how is that a valid complaint?
Huh? I was just passing comment on the original DS D-pad. I wasn't complaining about anything (other than the original DS D-Pad).

Last edited by a moderator:
ashdjones said:
Since the NES, which I believe was the first (but as always happens with these things, another company probably invented it 20 years before it just never got popular).
The first place the Nintendo-style cross-key d-pad was used was on the Donkey Kong Game & Watch unit. As I understand it, this was preceded by the d-pad on Cosmic Hunter (for the MB Microvision), which itself was somewhat preceded by the 16-direction disc on the controller of the Intellivision. :)

Just for the fun of it, my favourite d-pads of all time, incidentally, are those of the SNES, NES, DS, and Game Boy micro. The DS Lite's is ok, too, if you get a good one, in my experience. :p

EvilDragon said:
I thought you might be interested seeing a few renders of the latest case (the nearly-final one, but still missing holes for the LEDs and the touchpen).

Now, enjoy these:

An empty case assembled
An empty case disassembled, top view
An empty case disassembled, bottom view

Holy cow!! That thing is 50% controls and battery by depth!! And 25% lid with touchscreen!!

I am glad to see a unit with such a freaking huge battery as standard. :) :)

Note: It appears that all of the ABXY buttons are using the same key, so if we really really were pestered by the layout we could rearrange them (or a batch of "mistakenly assembled" units could come from the factory?).

Let me be the first with the AAAA layout, that way all the buttons are the best button :).

WhereMyArm said:
Do you mind if I ask what 3D suite you're using, and if you could post the object file? If you don't mind I'd be interested in trying my hand at a couple renders. I just installed Lightwave 9.5 and it does a kickass job with soft-shadows and radiosity.
3dsmax v9 with Mental Ray as a renderer.
Sorry, I can't give you the object file yet, as we don't want to risk that a cheap chinese company uses the data and creates a cheap clone of that device before it has even been released...

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
WhereMyArm said:
Do you mind if I ask what 3D suite you're using, and if you could post the object file? If you don't mind I'd be interested in trying my hand at a couple renders. I just installed Lightwave 9.5 and it does a kickass job with soft-shadows and radiosity.
Sorry, I can't give you the object file yet, as we don't want to risk that a cheap chinese company uses the data and creates a cheap perfect clone of that device before it has even been released...

there fixed it.

They will clone it anyway, but you don't want it to be foolishly accurate. (can they even get an OMAP? Or would it be an Atari on a chip :p)

Gilrad said:
Introducing the new Paradox game system! It has over 500 games built in!
That's actually the most accurate description of knockoff gaming systems i have ever heard.

Gilrad said:
Introducing the new Paradox game system! It has over 500 games built in!
That's 5 games with 100 slightly different variations on each! WOW!

Sorry, I can't give you the object file yet, as we don't want to risk that a cheap chinese company uses the data and creates a cheap clone of that device before it has even been released...

Hustle your bustles or else. Look at all the electronics they are putting out by the minute.

"I hate the feature were all of my replies gets bundle into one. How do I prevent that from happening?" Perfect example, this was to be a separate post.

Seems like a great layout to me, only makes me want one even more. Is the pandora just gonna be in black or will we get to see different colours eventually? I'd quite like to have a white one like the f200..

puppydee said:
Seems like a great layout to me, only makes me want one even more. Is the pandora just gonna be in black or will we get to see different colours eventually? I'd quite like to have a white one like the f200..
Any colour as long as it`s black, If i recall correctly. Though that could possibly change if the Pandora is much more successful than expected.

Trooper

trooper said:
puppydee said:

Any colour as long as it`s black, If i recall correctly. Though that could possibly change if the Pandora is much more successful than expected.

Trooper

An interesting thought - it could be possible for the first batch to be a different colour to subsequent batches, assuming they are only getting the 3000 moulded... Not that I'm that fussed, really.

hmmm are those two little nubs all that holds the analog nubs?
does that put any pressure on the board? I was kinda hoping they would be attached to the case and not directly to the board but i guess that might be ok since there really isn't any spaces under the board there that lack support

callumshell1 said:
Will the touchscreen be that annoying squidgy one or the ipod touch hard type one?
Same as the Archos 605.

TaG said:
callumshell1 said:
Will the touchscreen be that annoying squidgy one or the ipod touch hard type one?
Same as the Archos 605.

That's good or bad?

What's the brand of the TFT? Do the touchscreen membrane comes built in with the TFT screen?

timofonic said:
TaG said:
callumshell1 said:
Same as the Archos 605.That's good or bad?

What's the brand of the TFT? Do the touchscreen membrane comes built in with the TFT screen?
It's a resitive, single touch screen that Craig has been quoted as saying it is quite stiff. I don't think the brand has been quoted.

Back