How To Convert Any Playable Movie File

Shikaku

ROFL THE WORD PENIS IS HILARIOUS!
USA... I feel lonely, not that many people from US
Website
Visit site
For more advanced video encoders only! Use SUPER (scroll down) if you want the benifits without the complication!

Programs required:

Avisynth (don't worry, there will be no complicated scripts here)

Any video editor that accepts AVS scripts, including virtualdub.
Both XVIDs works, it's just if you play with the settings a lot the DIVX standard is dropped...

The meat:

Here's the thing that is the kicker with me that I didn't know about even though it was right in front of my face. There is something called directshow that allows you to view your files in Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, and most other things; basically the display method.

You can use this to your advantage by allowing directshow to be the source instead of the file itself. It's super easy:

With Avisynth installed, we have to make a script that has this:

Code:
DirectShowSource("?:(Path to file)")

Replace the ? and (Path to file) to the path to file.

Just make it using something like wordpad and make it .avs; also, you might have to simplify the filename of the file you want to convert (meaning remove stuff like dashes and extra periods).

Now you are given basically a raw video and WAV raw file in your encoder. Change types as desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Avisynth installed, we have to make a script that has this:

Code:
DirectShowSource("?:(Path to file)")

Replace the ? and (Path to file) to the path to file.

How do you mean ?
Like the script should read:
"DirectShowSource(C:\My Documents\My Movie)" ???
If this works, you're on my christmas list, I've been downloading screen capture and converting apps like demented chimp, trying to get .flv files onto my 'jeep'.
I'll give what ever it takes a shot !!

Note that I have had synchronization problems as well: you can change this easily in VirtualDubmod by just changing the framerate if it goes more out of sync as the movie goes on or by ms if it is off the same rate always. Check the Video tab for Frame Rate (you have to play around with it to fix it), or under stream list check the Audio stream and right click the audio for interleaving. Save as and make sure it is Direct Stream Copy for video.

semyaza posted on Jul 5 2006 at 05:01 AM said:
I found a great totally free program called media coder http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/download.htm.

I tested a .mov to .avi put it on an SD card and it worked brilliantly.

For more advanced video encoders only!

semyaza posted on Jul 5 2006 at 11:01 AM said:
I found a great totally free program called media coder http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/download.htm.

I tested a .mov to .avi put it on an SD card and it worked brilliantly.
hey cool program, thanks for the link :D

I tried it, and it works perfectly it can even convert realmedia and wmv files(!), im going to dump virtualdub mod and use this instead :).

Does anyone use MP4Cam2Avi? I have a bunch of video mp4s because I also have a video ipod. It can convert them pretty fast and does a realy nice job.

hey, I might have to check this out for turning my realplayer bleach episodes into gp2x avi's. The real question, though is will work with my itunes mpeg4 files or whatever? Normally my converter would convert the file type, but f@ckin steve jobs has all my downloaded itunes movies protected. If this proccess can get my episodes of the office onto my gp2x, I'll pay you 10 bucks and mail you a cookie!

please someone check that for me.

thanks

Well, I use two programs. for just standard things like avis and mpegs that just don't have the codec requirements, I put it through PocketDivx using the settings for Iriver. I can get the whole series of trigun into around 1gb.. don't need to change any of the advanced settings, just make sure it's only on 1 pass in the advanced options.

if, however, it's something else, like a realplayer file, or a WMV file. I first use Jodix Ipod video converter which makes those, any lots of other formats into MP4s, and then I use Pocketdivx to turn that into a divx. it's quick. doesn't need anything more than a few clicks, and is pretty quick to top it off.

other things, like .FLVs I've yanked from Youtube. and possible googlevideos (haven't tried to convert a google video yet, it seemed to recognise the format. just took a loong time trying to compress the sound) I use Dr Divx yet again, it's another wizard driven process. then once again, if you need to. put it through pocket divx. iriver settings.

sam fisher posted on Sep 5 2006 at 02:06 AM said:
well at a DRM'd WMV. Does NOT work. I know that as I have tried before.

If you Own it and have the Liscence you can remove it with programs such as "Fairuse4WM" good luck finding it though. then from that convert the clean WMV

i have a question, do you know any good resizing programs for video files, i use virtual dub, but when i change the resolution, and convert it, its still the same resolution.. so if you know of any programs that do the job right, or know what im doing wrong in vdud, send me a pm :D

MajorShake said:
i have a question, do you know any good resizing programs for video files, i use virtual dub, but when i change the resolution, and convert it, its still the same resolution.. so if you know of any programs that do the job right, or know what im doing wrong in vdud, send me a pm :D
You can use avisynth to do it. My script is like this:

DirectShowSource("K:\Bleach\Bleach 1 - 100\Bleach 26 - 50\Bleach - 30 .avi")
BilinearResize(640,436)
AddBorders(0,22,0,22)

I needed to re-encode the video cause there's something in the bleach episodes that GP2X wouldn't let it play. Anyways, with this script it will add black borders on the top and bottom of the screen so that it will fit on your TV. Use VirtualDubMod or VirtualDub.

Also there is an extra option in VirtualDub for "sync with audio"...that should take care of the some of the sync problems. Happy encoding.

Back