How to get Flash 11 working in Firefox 21

dgame

Firefox 21 in the repo defaults to Flash 9.0. Flash 11.0.1.153 is also included but the default Firefox 21 configuration causes Flash 11 to be ignored.

If you get the big play button on Flash content then you are probably using Flash 9. Flash 11 is much better and supports full screen playback.

PND:  http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=firefox.hdonk.500

Solution
about:config
extensions.blocklist.enabled false
plugins.load_appdir_plugins true

In the Firefox address bar, type "about:config" and press "enter".
A caution box stating "This might void your warranty..." will pop up.
Select the "I'll be careful. I promise." box by left-clicking your mouse.

In the search box, type "extensions.blocklist.enabled" and press "enter".
If the line is present, it should have the boolean value "true".
If the value is "true", toggle the value to "false" by double-clicking the line.

In the search box, type " plugins.load_appdir_plugins" and press "enter".
If the line is present, it should have the boolean value "false".
If the value is "false", toggle the value to "true" by double-clicking the line.

Check Flash version here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Last edited by a moderator:
By default only Flash 9 is available under the Add-ons menu.

Those two config lines enable Flash 11 under the Add-ons menu.

If you enable Flash 11 it supersedes Flash 9 so I guess you could then disable Flash 9.

Just curious - before I bother with updating and enabling newer versions of flash player....does this affect "YouTube" at all?  Like are videos playable within this version of the browser (with the Flash11)?  Sorry, if it seems like I'm lazy - but I am (sometimes).   :D

I verified that I have flash 11, but the video on the openpandora.org site does not play.

Oddly, the verification page has a video with scrolling text and a rolling ball on my desktop, but only the rolling ball shows up on the Pandora.

Youtube is oscillating between playing a few seconds & buffering for many more.

CNN videos won't play.

Video on the pandora is not yet ready for prime time.

Well, I can sort of see some Youtube videos for a stuttering second, and if it buffers, I can see some action, but rarely any sound.  I have a 1GHz (overclocked to 1.2GHz at OPP4 / 200 MHz RAM) - still not watchable unless you download them and watch them from the SD card or whatever...oh well.

Edit 1:  Some progress at least.  I checked in the "add ons" menu and flash 9.0 was the only thing in there even after I followed dgame's instructions.  I updated the flash version within that menu and I had Flash Player 11.1something.... and videos are streaming a LOT better now.  I just need to beef up my connection, but there's some hope for this now.  Me, happy--->   :)

Edit 2:  You knew it was coming....LOL.  You have to wait a bit, videos need to buffer, cleaning out your cache/history seems to help some.  It's a full version of Firefox, so the browser itself has a lot of overhead by itself.  This still is 100% better than it was - many thanks, dgame!

Last edited by a moderator:
Firefox 21 in the repo defaults to Flash 9.0. Flash 11.0.1.153 is also included but the default Firefox 21 configuration causes Flash 11 to be ignored.

If you get the big play button on Flash content then you are probably using Flash 9. Flash 11 is much better and supports full screen playback.

PND:  http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=firefox.hdonk.500

Solution

about:config

extensions.blocklist.enabled false

plugins.load_appdir_plugins true

In the Firefox address bar, type "about:config" and press "enter".

A caution box stating "This might void your warranty..." will pop up.

Select the "I'll be careful. I promise." box by left-clicking your mouse.

In the search box, type "extensions.blocklist.enabled" and press "enter".

If the line is present, it should have the boolean value "true".

If the value is "true", toggle the value to "false" by double-clicking the line.

In the search box, type " plugins.load_appdir_plugins" and press "enter".

If the line is present, it should have the boolean value "false".

If the value is "false", toggle the value to "true" by double-clicking the line.

Check Flash version here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html
Boy, thanks. Now I can play videos on Youtube in FireFox21.

Hi,

I've updated to FF22, but now whenever I try to load a youtube video Firefox just crashes... I've followed this tutorial, deleted the firefox appdata folder and tried again, and also redownloaded the PND and started fresh, but still firefox just crashes. I also disabled the flash 9 plugin, leaving just the flash 11 one, but after the crash, both are disabled.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix for it?

Thanks in advance,

Rozza

I didn't try Youtube but I loaded a Flashgame.

First it didn't load.

Then I checked my plugins and both flash plugins were disabled.

I enabled Flash 11 and it played fine.

Don't know why Flash 11 was disabled by default.

That's great!

Thanks hdonk, your work is really appreciated by the whole community :)

(Especially now with the updated flash ;) )

Kind regards,

Rozza

Back