how to mount archos 8 home tablet

peelie

hi

need help mounting the flash drive in the archos 8 home tablet, when i connect it to pandora usb host port dmesg | tail tells me:

Code:
[ 6125.245697] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

[ 6125.252929] usb 1-2: Product: Archos8

[ 6125.256622] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Archos8

[ 6125.260742] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: 0

[ 6125.265686] usb-storage: device found at 6

[ 6125.269836] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning

[ 6130.273925] scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Archos   8                0000 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2

[ 6130.368652] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

[ 6130.374603] sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0

[ 6130.386932] usb-storage: device scan complete

now which is the device to mount? i tried sda, sda1, sda3, sda4, sda6 and all tell me device does not exist?

cheers

If it has a valid filesystem that the system has a driver for, it should be mounted automatically. It could also be that it doesn't have a partition table, in that case, you should mount /dev/sda. try ls /dev/sda* to see all partitions for it (you will only see sda if you have no partitions)

hi when i try to mount /dev/sda

it says "no medium found on /dev/sda"

i only see /dev/sda so iguess there are no partitions ?

can i proceed or do i need to get drivers for it?

fyi

under winxp the tablet's internal storage mounts okay

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to connect the archos, open a terminal, become root ("sudo /bin/bash") and write "fdisk -l". That should list all devices and their partitions. Not sure how archos is doing the usb-connection, but it might do something specific, so that it's not been listed. You can also try "/usr/sbin/blkid /dev/<devicename>" (replace <devicename> that was listed) as root. Be sure to write "/usr/sbin/" before the command. There are two versions installed, the one at "/sbin/blkid" does not work. Anyway, that command should show you some information about the device, most important of all it's file-system-type (FSTYPE).

It might be that the archos uses some file-system which is not supported by the Pandora-kernel. AFAIK the output of "cat /proc/filesystems" shows all supported file-systems.

thanks lomaxx for suggestions

fdisk -l does not list any extra devices

lsusb says:

Code:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 0e79:1430 Archos, Inc. 

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

can i use that info in anyway?

Code:
can i use that info in anyway?

Can't think of a way of using it right now.

I tried to search for information about the topic. This seems to be related, as your dmesg-output also mentions 'scsi': Mass Storage Devices

so what does "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" show you when you connected the tablet?

hi

cat/proc/scsi/scsi reports:

Code:
Attached devices:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00

Vendor: Archos   Model: 8                Rev: 0000

Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI  SCSI revision: 02

hm, I was hoping for a more helpful output from that command. =)

I'm stuck. Can't find any information on the internet that brings us further ahead. The only possible thing that I can think of by now is to find out how the Archos 8 Tablet behaves when you connect it to a PC with Linux. See if partitions show there, see which filesystem is listed, which modules are loaded, ...

If you do not have a Linux-PC (but a PC) you could try a live-cd of Ubuntu or Knoppix for that. But I start to doubt that it would be of use. If the device can correctly be mounted in Linux at all, then it still is doubtful if the older Pandora-kernel (or Pandora-OS in general) does recognize it correctly on some way.

Its /dev/sg0 .. also, are you running 'fdisk -l' while logged in as root? It won't show you partitions if you're just a normal user without permission ..

Its /dev/sg0 .. also, are you running 'fdisk -l' while logged in as root? It won't show you partitions if you're just a normal user without permission ..

hi

i did try sg0 and no dice, and i did fdisk as root.

thanks for help all folks looks like will need to use a bloody win pc to sort out that archos tablet! dang!

Back