How to play midi's?

NightStar

I've tried the MP3 player (hey - I know, but it was worth a shot.) but I still can't find out what I need to use to play midi files!? Can someone help please?

You cant, unless someone developed a midi library.

Maybe someone can port Bero's midi library for the dreamcast?

Ah - So the blurb about Midi channels, etc, for the GP32 only relates to games using midi's - And not actually playing midi's!?

If that's the case, I am surprised they didn't include midi files in their MP3 player and call it a "Media" player.

Oh well!

Yep.

If you really wanna listen to midis, you could convert them to mp3, but meh, midis sound horrible anyway.

Converting midi's to mp3's (Or even Wave files) is not the most easiest thing to do - And a bit of a waste of time at the end of the day...

And personally, I quite like Midi's - It really depeneds on the quality of the player (i.e. SBLive of naff software) and also the midi you are playing.

I've got quite a few really good midi's of recent songs, and as they are sooooo small, are quite handy... And you can get loads of obscure songs in midi too! (Like Airwolf, and Treasure Hunt!)

Midi is not available at all on gp32, in games or otherwise. Yet :(

If someone can handle the coding side of things, I would be glad to help with a midi lib for the gp32.

PLEASE GOD SOMEONE!! :D

and er, anyone who says that midi sounds shit doesn't know what midi is, surely? :unsure:

Midi makes no noise. It just controls things that do and it does so in such a way that it is possible to capture a genuine musical performance with it.

The soundblaster live demo has a piano instrumental in midi called Nocturn.mid. Because it's a a midi recording of a real pianist it sounds full of energy and life even with the crappy sounds on the soundblaster live ;)

And I have the whole FF7 sound track as midi, it sounds amazing!

it's an hour long and still smaller than a 5 second wav ;)

Swiss: Do you use soundfonts? Sf2, Dls, Gig, or any particular format. Cause if you use any of those, midi is just great. But I would like the ability for my gp32 to load dls and midi files.
Im working on a dls for ff7, and if there was a prog to run midis thru dls in gp32, I could fit the whole ff7 soundtrack in under 5mb.

Well here's the dreamcast midi lib, and it's all in pure C.
Midi lib
I think all that would need to be done is to patch it into CHN's ring soundbuffer. I'd do it myself, but I know very little about sound coding. I'm more of a graphics guy ;)

I use a Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 Sound card with a piggybacked Yamaha DB50XG sound module....

Sounds LUVLEY!

(do a bit of recording ya see).

Like already said, MIDI is just the way of recording the events that happen during the playing of music. The quality of the sound card/wavetable you play it back on governs the final output quality. You wouldn't expect a concert pianist to get the same sound out of a small piano down the pub than he does on a grand in a concert hall would you, no matter how good he is...

The SB live is a piano down the pub, the DB50XG is the grand :D

I found a midi source code

its written in c and has asm source code but this uses BIOS calls on a pc its a very simple midi program which lets u play midi sounds through the pc speaker so no soundcard is needed im guessing (just a guess) that the bios calls arnt needed as they are to send the sound to the internal speaker but i might be wrong

Any1 wanna try a quick compile to see if it works?

http://perun.hscs.wmin.ac.uk/~jra/MIDIplay/
:ph34r:

Back