How To Show Chinese Or Japanese Characters In File Manager?

jiuzhege

Still Fresh
The character can be showed in the built-in web browser and firefox.

But in the local file system , all these characters are showed as question mark.

I search the forum and find out one "way".

I put these fonts in the SD and make a link .

But it didn't solve the problem.

Can anyone help me on this? THX

They may be big5 or shift-jis, which you might have some trouble getting to work. The pandora firmware seems to only come with locale data for english, german and french, so you may need to install some language pack as well.

From there I'm not sure. I think you can run localedef with the file's name in /usr/share/i18n/locales referring to your locale of choice. Then finding where "LANG" is defined, if anywhere, in the settings. If it's not, you could probably put it in an initscript. Note that this may break Unicode for some things.

This is all just speculation, but it should start you off in the right direction.

If the filenames ARE Unicode then you need to set LANG to some kind of UTF-8. It should be the one that closely matches your actual locale, like "en_US.UTF-8" is mine, because I'm English speaking and live in the US. If you're Chinese, I imagine you can use "zh_CN.UTF-8" and get both big5/the other one and Unicode. Again, speculation, but worth experimenting with if it's your native language/locale.

I tried to get the font support from http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/

but there are so many "depends" there , how to know which is needed or how to download them at once?

After I installed a 9.8MB font--'ttf-arphic-uming_20080126-r2.5', I found that the older version had already in the firmware.
That means.....?

If you have internet on your pandora:

Code:
sudo opkg install packagename

It will install the package and all it's dependencies for you.

EDIT: Without internet, yeah, you'll need to follow through, download and install all dependencies. I think you can use something like "sudo opkg info packagename" and it'll tell you if the package has been installed already. I forget the specific command to opkg, though. It might be "show".

Back