¿How tough is the Pandora?

ebitiba

Still Fresh
Since this is a portable ´´gadget´´, and we will be carrying it with us in our pockets, bags , etc, how will it hold up with all the movement? I would like to know because i love portable things and i do my utmost to protect them, but there is always chance of something getting knocked loose. So, how tough is this awesome little system? Opinions?

The board and case were designed with durability in mind, but exactly how durable it will be can only be determined with time and use. The boards and cases shown so far are only prototypes - fragile 3D printed cases and hand-assembled boards. There won't be a real, final Pandora to test until the first one rolls off the assembly line, and even then it will be a bit too late for proper HALT testing.

punkrockserfer said:
Lurkio said:
It's as tough as Chuck Norris ... in a tank ... coated in bubble wrap.

:eek:

That's ridiculous. Nothing is as tough as Chuck Norris. <_<

Exactly. Putting him in a tank makes him vulnerable because it slows him down.

punkrockserfer said:
Lurkio said:
It's as tough as Chuck Norris ... in a tank ... coated in bubble wrap.

:eek:

That's ridiculous. Nothing is as tough as Chuck Norris. <_<

Gah, to be honest, I'm sick of all this Chuck Norris stuff. He's now a 68 year old saggy ginger man.

But seriously, I hope the Pandora is relatively durable; I'm not going be to throwing it around the place and using it to get things out of the oven and scrape char off the grill, but still would never forgive myself if it broke.

Does anyone have a shell map for this so's you could give it to a company with an enclosed hunnert bucks and say "I want it in steel"?

player4 said:
Does anyone have a shell map for this so's you could give it to a company with an enclosed hunnert bucks and say "I want it in steel"?

Actually, my own thought was to do exactly this, but fabricated in CM2-grade polycarbonate (stuff they build the walls of bus shelters out of).

I guess maybe steel would be OK, too. It's kinda durable, I suppose...

Actually, that comment about a metal case got me thinking (and the one about lexan too).

At work I am always getting samples of prototypes machined out of aluminium from China at very cheap prices -- I would definitely be interested in ordering an anodised aluminium case for my pandora. mmmmmm...

Are the iges/step files of the case going to be made available in the future??

carlos said:
Are the iges/step files of the case going to be made available in the future??
Going by this post, probably not. Michael was speaking specifically about the PCB, but I imagine that case design files will not be published for the same reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mass produce the aluminum, give Will it Blend? the steel one. I just like the way industrial steel looks and feels.

Back