How usable will the web be on the Pyra?

The way firefox and other linux browsers do font scaling is preferable to zooming, to me, because the text reflows and fits the screen, eliminating the need for panning the zoomed page.

The way firefox and other linux browsers do font scaling is preferable to zooming, to me, because the text reflows and fits the screen, eliminating the need for panning the zoomed page.
There's no reason that it couldn't be smoother though.

Plus, Firefox is the only browser that does zoom that way. I find both approaches (whole page and text only) to have advantages.

I think a smooth (interpolated) text size would require significant rewrite of the rendering engine.

A smooth page-zoom might be easier, but still way beyond my skills.

MicroB (N900 browser) did smooth zooming and was running on an ancient version of Gecko (equavilent to Firefox 3.something).

It's also open source IIRC, and I'm not sure how it did the smooth zooming, but it might be able to be looked at, given they used Gecko, allbeit an old version of it.

Last time I checked the interesting parts of MicroB were not open. But I agree that the zooming feature was pretty good and it didn't even require multi touch.

Back