Star Ocean
Super Metroid
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Tales of Phantasia
Twisted Tales of Spike McFang
Ghouls n Ghosts (genesis)
Phantasy Star 2-4 (genesis)
Rocket Knight Adventures (genesis)

could anyone tell me how well these games work on it? and please dont direct me to compatibility list, I want to hear for you guys :)

Ramen Boy posted on Jul 10 2004 at 10:27 AM said:
are these games playable on GP32 as in, fast enough to even bother:

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy II & III
Front Mission
Mega Man X, X2, X3
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3
Star Ocean
Super Metroid
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Tales of Phantasia
Twisted Tales of Spike McFang
Ghouls n Ghosts (genesis)
Phantasy Star 2-4 (genesis)
Rocket Knight Adventures (genesis)

could anyone tell me how well these games work on it? and please dont direct me to compatibility list, I want to hear for you guys :)
I can only comment on those I have tested on the gp32.
Super Metroid works very well (with sound), Phantasy Star 2 and 4 runs flawlessly sound and full 60 fps. I have not tested the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
FF II: Full speed in the world map but when in battle it's pretty damn slow with music. IIRC, it was running at ~50% with music, but if you really like the game (like myself), you won't notice that it's runing that slow in battle.

Megaman X/X2: IIRC, it ran at around ~80% with sound. But it was full speed without sound.

Secret of Mana is too slow currently on the GP32 (its normal speed when sound is off though). Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Densetsu 3) is playable, although when you get to the God Beasts there can be transparency issues and I've just chosen to follow on my save onto regular PC. (in zsnes).

I've found Illusion of Gaia though to work brilliantly on the GP. Also I've only played the beginning of Chrono Trigger and again this seemed to work fine. (I've read there can be transparency problems later, but this can be solved with the emulator settings)

Games like Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia won't work on the GP since they're greater in size than 4MB/32MBits (not enough memory)

There is a new snes emulator version in development and so should speed things up a bit when its released :)

erm...super metroid is unplayable slow. it's a pitty, i love this game so much.
in adventures or rpg's transparency issues may occur during the game. even if it looks ok at the beginning, they'll propably occur after playing for some time.

mario world plays very well, but there aren't many others. for many action games the frameskip must be higher than 1, which means it is not playable. for logical games, that is ok.

but yoyo, the author, said that he'll release a new version soon. i hope, the transparency bug will be solved then.

erm...super metroid is unplayable slow. it's a pitty, i love this game so much.
in adventures or rpg's transparency issues may occur during the game. even if it looks ok at the beginning, they'll propably occur after playing for some time.

mario world plays very well, but there aren't many others. for many action games the frameskip must be higher than 1, which means it is not playable. for logical games, that is ok.

I've gone through a good bit of Super Metroid on Frameskip 2 or 3 without issue. Illusion of Gaia (or Illusion of Time as it is called in Europe) I play on Frameskip 2 and it is QUITE playable.

lizard808uk posted on Jul 10 2004 at 10:33 AM said:
There is a new snes emulator version in development and so should speed things up a bit when its released :)
Please could somebody give me a link with infomation regarding this new emulator?

Bingo Jesus posted on Jul 10 2004 at 12:35 PM said:
lizard808uk posted on Jul 10 2004 at 10:33 AM said:
Please could somebody give me a link with infomation regarding this new emulator?
snes emulator version

0-bake posted on Jul 10 2004 at 11:40 AM said:
erm...super metroid is unplayable slow. it's a pitty, i love this game so much
LOL
It works fine at fs 2 with sound.

hm, i just re-tried metroid (166mhz) and with fs 2 it runs much too choppy and you can't even see your shots because of the frameskip.
but i think, you just can play logical games with a frameskip higher than 1. for me, the gameplay is not given with such a scrolling....

0-bake posted on Jul 10 2004 at 02:54 PM said:
hm, i just re-tried metroid (166mhz) and with fs 2 it runs much too choppy and you can't even see your shots because of the frameskip.
but i think, you just can play logical games with a frameskip higher than 1. for me, the gameplay is not given with such a scrolling....
I agree :)

Back