Rpg Recomendations?

zacaj

void main()
Website
zacaj.com
Im wondering if there are any good rpg's I havent played yet that are playable on the gp2x. I already have: Final Fantasy 1,4-6,tactics advance, chrono trigger, fire emblem, fire emblem: sacred stones, riviera, yggdra union, golden sun, star ocean, phantasy star 1-4, breath of fire, tactics ogre: knight of lodis, mario and luigi: superstar saga, super mario rpg, shining force, the legend of zelda: link to the past and minish cap, tales of phantasia, summon night, 7th saga, earthbound, lufia, secret of mana, terranigma, and ultima 7.

Try Flesh Chasmer I, I never got far because I'm not patient enough to get into RPGs, but it's a very polished and impressive GP2X game.

I did research a while back to only put the top stuff on my SD. You can look here for Genesis, here and here for SNES. There are others and results vary by people tastes. This has been done many times over so probably no need to rehash here (unless, of course, others want to chime in.)

You can try "Zelda: Link's Awakening" in the Gameboy, I think that is better than "Link to the past" for SNES.

You don't have the Lunar series on that list. There's Lunar: Silver Star and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue on Sega CD, and a polished remake of Lunar: Silver Star (Lunar Legend) on GBA.

fishybawb said:
Crystalis (NES version, not GBC port). It's one of the best games I've ever played, never mind best RPG :)
I almost forgot about that one. It is very good, better than Zelda on NES IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Feary Tale Adventure for the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis or Amiga is a good one. But you should google for the map.

I'm going to see if DOSBox on the 2X will run the SSI RPG games that came out for DOS. Pools of Radiance and Treasures of the Savage Frontier and Gateway to the Savage Frontier.

Classic PC RPG games!

No idea if I'll be able to get them running and set up with decent controls, if I do I'll post the configs to the archive.

Sega CD:
Lunar Silver Star (as previously said)
Lunar Eternal Blue (as previously said)
Shining Force CD (turn based strategy rpg, but is awesome!)
Vay (good Working Designs port)
Popful Mail (also by Working Designs, is a bit more action than rpg)

Turbo Graphx CD: use with Temper
Ys Book I&II (my favorite rpg of all time)
Ys III
Ys IV (is translated by the awesome Nightwolve in English)
Dungeon Explorer II
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Exile (pretty good action rpg translated by Working Designs)
Exile 2 (better than the first but extremely hard)

Turbo Graphx Hu Card games:
Neutopia 1&2 (great Zelda clones and definitely worth playing)

GameGear/SMS:
Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict (recently translated)
Sylvan Tale (very awesome!)

SNES:
Dragon Quest I&II reprise
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Live a Live
Magic Knight Rayearth
Bahamut Lagoon
Treasure Hunter G
Actraiser
Emerald Dragon

Dragon Warrior 1-4(aka Dragon Quest) (nes/gbc)
Holy Magic Century (gbc)

Ultima: Runes Of Virtue (GB) (more puzzle than a rpg)

EvilDragon said:
Not to forget SNES:
Dual Orbs II
Yes how could I have forgotten Dual Orbs II. It also got a recent patch update I believe.

geise69 said:
EvilDragon said:
Not to forget SNES:
Dual Orbs II
Yes how could I have forgotten Dual Orbs II. It also got a recent patch update I believe.

Yep, fixes some stuff. I've nearly finished it already though :D

Last edited:
If you are including Zelda games in the list, you should try Zelda: Oracle Of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages for Gameboy Color.

Ultima VI is also one of my favorite games, but the version that would work on the GP2X is for the SNES and the port isnt so great compared to the PC version. It might run in dosbox but it used the keyboard too much to be enjoyable.

pder said:
Ultima VI is also one of my favorite games, but the version that would work on the GP2X is for the SNES and the port isnt so great compared to the PC version. It might run in dosbox but it used the keyboard too much to be enjoyable.
Did you tried the amiga version?

Back