How will the name for Pandora's successor be chosen?

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
PLEASE NOTE : This is in the ask ED questions section, if you have a link to the answer from ED then feel free to post it, it would be much appreciated, but if you don't have a link to an answer and you're not ED then please don't post here :)

Hi ED,

In your thread 'Finding a proper name and logo' you ended your original post by stating 'now let's see if we can't use this forum to find a proper name, shall we?'

However you did not include a rather useful piece of information, namely, how will the name for Pandora's successor be chosen?

Will it be via a forum poll? Will it be the one you like the best from the suggestions given? Are you undecided as to how to choose the name? etc.

I did try asking this in the initial thread, my apologies if I missed the response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll choose my favourite ones and will let the community vote for them.
Sounds great, any idea on an approximate timescale for when you'd like to have the name decided?

One thing that might be worthy of consideration :

A mailing list for people who are interested in Pandora's successor, so that when an official poll / discussion is started on the forum people are informed with a link to the boards and an official request to vote / participate in debate. My guess is that this would help to generate a more accurate picture of the desires of potential customers.

I also thought that this could be the way. ED chooses 5-10 of his fav. names he found in the forums and make a poll where the users choose the final name of the device. :)

Probably next week.
Good stuff :)

I don't have a mailing list of Pandora-interested people though, and I'd like to keep things on the silent side right now, no major hype, until the last Pandora has been sold.
I'm not suggesting shouting this from the roof tops, just a link on the forum where interested parties can sign up to a mailing list.

My fear is that the hard core forum users might skew the apparent desires of the customer base. Take this keyboard poll for example, with 41 responses it is difficult to assess the statistical significance of the responses given. Whereas it's pretty obvious that the majority of potential customers want to see a better quality keyboard for P2 (only 17% would choose a keyboard like that of P1 if a better & more expensive option was available). It becomes more difficult when looking at the desired layout. Look how close the responses are for 4 rows of keys or 5 rows of keys.

This is understandable as there are obvious trade offs with 4 rows (1 row of numbers + 3 other rows) the keys can be larger, with 5 rows (1 row of numbers + 4 other rows) there are more keys so less use of shift / function keys will be required.

My hope is that with perhaps a couple of hundred responses to an official version of such a poll then a better picture of the desires of potential customers could be known.

Pools are always biased anyway. If the numbers of votes would be higher, you would still be bounded by the way the pool is worded... and the information you give with it. Like if you dont give the price majoration of every option, then any voter will do an uneducated vote thuss useless. If you dont tell me that having backlighting will cost 20€/device, I'm all for it, while at 20€ I might think about it before saying I'm for it (not realy any use for that myself) Same will go for everything.

Beside, everyone will vote for their dream device. But everyone have his own dream. Mine is different from yours. So if you create enough pool to cover every aspect of the device, you'll end up with 1000 differents devices (if you have 1000 voters). Finding the best compromise wouldnt be easier anyhow. The current situation isnt that bad in the end ;)

What use would a link to a mailing list in the forum have when the poll happens on the forum itself? :eek:

Do not care one bit about the name - call it the EDinator,or Craiginator II - as long as ED makes it I am buying without hesitation!
Not sure about the Craiginator II, connotations aren't too hot these days....  :wacko:    And if I were Ed, I'd be making an executive decision...

But I agree in principle - don't care about the name.  Whatever it is, I'm pre-ordering !  

Pools are always biased anyway. If the numbers of votes would be higher, you would still be bounded by the way the pool is worded... and the information you give with it. Like if you dont give the price majoration of every option, then any voter will do an uneducated vote thuss useless. If you dont tell me that having backlighting will cost 20€/device, I'm all for it, while at 20€ I might think about it before saying I'm for it (not realy any use for that myself) Same will go for everything.

Beside, everyone will vote for their dream device. But everyone have his own dream. Mine is different from yours. So if you create enough pool to cover every aspect of the device, you'll end up with 1000 differents devices (if you have 1000 voters). Finding the best compromise wouldnt be easier anyhow. The current situation isnt that bad in the end ;)
I agree it's very difficult to construct an unbiased poll, however an official poll made by someone who understands the expectations and desires and stuff like R&D budget etc. for a Pandora successor should hopefully be able to generate more useful data and a greater number of respondents than one made by some random guy from the internet (like me).

I certainly agree that the current situation is not that bad but that's no reason not to try and make it better. :)

W.B. reminds me of that alcoholic US-president that looked like a monkey and invaded Iraq (again). ;)

Back