Finding a proper name and logo :)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we had quite a few threads discussing about a possible name of a successor, but there were many many joke posts in there, so I wanted to create a serious thread here.

Before we start with a logo (I might do a competition here :) ), we should start finding a proper name.

I'm completely open right now, I just want something that would fit properly.

There are a few requirements though:

* Easily readable and spoken in most languages (like Pandora ;) )

* It should be something that doesn't give you thousands of Google results of already existing products (unlike Pandora).

* It should be easy to remember (so probably not too long).

What would be nice:

* If there is some connection to the Pandora. i.e. DragonBox (since Pandora's Box is pretty known), or something similar. Not neccessary though.

Okay... that's it from me - now let's see if we can't use this forum to find a proper name, shall we?

Woah since this is an official thread not a spam thread I may as well answer without sarcasm..

Personally I find DragonBox or DragonFly to be fitting. I know we're kind of throwing your dragon persona into it, but those two really seem fitting to me. 

SNESFAN has made a pretty good logo concept for DragonBox to me:  http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14692-pandora-successor-should-not-have-a-new-name-but/?p=289525

He're another concept for DragonFly that is pretty good. : http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14692-pandora-successor-should-not-have-a-new-name-but/?p=289368

DragonBox has the benefit of being a name already associated with the Pandora, DragonFly is good too and has potential, but may be less recognizable to the brand.So personally I'd like DragonBox, but if you have concerns dragging your web company into it then DragonFly could be a good second.. although it may be a more taken name.

Although deep down and I know I would only have a little support on this name:

Pickledora

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you already have registered dragonbox.de, logo's etc, and it pops up 2nd in google already. Seems like a good name to me.

Well some ones I liked from the "Impractical" thread were omes that included μ

such as μBox, μPC, Openμ, and later, the μ2 as a pokemon pun

It could be pronounced "yuu", "myuu" and even "micro" as in the symbol used in Physics

For the logo:  I vote for SNESFAN logo: A dragon wrapping around the OpenPandora box or the Openpandora box trapping the evil dragon :)

For the name:  I'm just so happy just to see ED made this thread asking for official name of Pandora successor.  I'm too happy right now to think of a name!  I like DragonBox though as google will lead me right to ED's shop too.  One stone kills 2 birds.  Good for business :)

DragonBox Dragonfly Myriad

those were the names that I like the most

I said Dragonbox a loong while ago in one of the first of these threads and still think, that it is a good idea (I even think that it was mine first :p ).

The Logo made by SNESfan ist great.

Dragonfly would be neat too, but has a lot more Google hits and not yet the relation to EDs shop.

Hits:

1.370.000 (Dragonbox) vs. 20.600.000 (Dragonfly)

While the dragon twined around the Pandora logo is cool, I'm wondering if ED can even legally use it. Who owns the rights to the logo?

While the dragon twined around the Pandora logo is cool, I'm wondering if ED can even legally use it. Who owns the rights to the logo?
Use a shattered "C" instead of the old logo then for the dragon to twine around, or let him eat it. :p

Yes, SNESfan's logo is very nice. I like more abstract logo's and the logo from Ed's shop is just too cute for such a bad ass device ;)

Dragonfly has the same issue as Pandora, too much hits and I don't know why, but it just doesn't stimulate my pleasure center. Dragonbox does. 

Logos should be simple.

Really simple

Think Nike, Apple, Windows, MacDonalds, BBC, FedEx, Most car companies, etc

SNES's dragon-in-box thing is far too complicated.

A good logo must be recognisable when badly printed in black & white onto a freebie pencil.

My favourite name is:

Sparksbox

...closely followed by Myriad and Pyrrha

Logos should be simple.

Really simple

Think Nike, Apple, Windows, MacDonalds, BBC, FedEx, Most car companies, etc

SNES's dragon-in-box thing is far too complicated.

A good logo must be recognisable when badly printed in black & white onto a freebie pencil.
You really want to compare these target audiences to EDs?

I advocate names with a dragon in them.

But it does not have to be d-r-a-g-o-n. That mythical creature is called by many names.

For example: Flipdrake

You flip it open. It's got teeth that bite.

Unfortunately Flip Drake is already on Facebook <_< .

SNESfan's logo is fine and not too complicated. It depends on what technique you will use it to print / market it. If you want the logo embossed on the case an adjustment might be needed, but it can still be used as a baseline.

I vote for dragonbox (without capital letters, but it doesn't matter much) - looks slicker that way

Back