Howto Do A Cut'n'paste

chuckr

Still Fresh
I've really been looking for this answer very hard, because I *know* it's got to be already written up, but I sure can't find it. I'm trying to figure out how to do cutting and pasting on the pandora with XFCE. I think it's got something to do with the right nub, but I tried experimenting, and that was a mistake. I just want my favorite X11 behavior back.

Would I be right in guessing that you're after the middle-click copy/pasting behaviour? I'm not entirely sure that the Pandora has that by default, as the right nub only offers left, right, and double clicks, if memory serves.

I wonder if it's possible to set it up so that down on the right nub, which is currently unused, could do middle-clicking?

I'm afraid I don't know how to set it up, though - that's a bit beyond me.

Prometheus said:
I wonder if it's possible to set it up so that down on the right nub, which is currently unused, could do middle-clicking?
I wonder if I coded that up a month (-2 days, but whatever) ago, and that it will propably be atleast in the kernel coming with HF4? (I thought that it was already in some other HF, but then maybe not).

Last edited by a moderator:
You can tell I haven't been keeping up with this, can't you? :lol: (I'm currently sans Pandora, though. :p)

urjaman said:
Prometheus said:
I wonder if I coded that up a month (-2 days, but whatever) ago, and that it will propably be atleast in the kernel coming with HF4? (I thought that it was already in some other HF, but then maybe not).

Yep, it's in there.

Last edited:
@Chuckr

I imagine that the above posts and ED have answered your question but I am sure that a simple cut n paste of files, or text, etc in XFCE is easily done via windows type shortcut keys i.e Ctrl-X-C-V or via a right click on the item you wish to cut, choose cut from the drop down menu and then paste it via a right click in the location you want. I am sans pandora also so cant check.

Chaser said:
@chuckr

I imagine that the above posts and ED have answered your question but I am sure that a simple cut n paste of files, or text, etc in XFCE is easily done via windows type shortcut keys i.e Ctrl-X-C-V or via a right click on the item you wish to cut, choose cut from the drop down menu and then paste it via a right click in the location you want. I am sans pandora also so cant check.

TOPICS: mouse pasting, Pandora's python, and a better FS for my flash.

Actually, seeing as what I wanted was the direct equivalent of my mouse's middle-click, well, saying that I got what I wanted can be argued. Well, maybe I have, by learning that this hasn't been catered to by the OP team, and that I have to research this myself, and come up with my own answer. That's an answer of a kind, I suppose, and way better than nothing.

NOTE Pandora's broken python

I wanted to get Calibre (the python-ish book reader application) working on Pandora, but Calibre's python setup.py fails to even load. There turns out to be several missing libraries in my preinstalled Python. I checked with the exact same version of Python (2.6.2) on my FreeBSD host, and "import platform" can be reliably used (I believe) as a sentinel, to prove whether the Python's library is working right or not. "import platform" should definitely work for any good Python. I downloaded the sources for Python-2.6.2, loaded up a ton of Python extensions, and re-installed python. The only part I had problems with was in getting sqlite3 to build, so if (as I think should happen, immediately) the OP team decides to rebuild the pre-installed python, try really hard to get sqlite working. I can get it to compile, but there's a missing symbol in config.o (init_sqlite3) and I can't track it down anywhere, so I don't support sqlite. As far as Calibre is concerned, I'm still installing the list of required dependencies.

Oh, I'm using /usr/local to install new things. This works fine with using ldconfig and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and I really like having locally installed stuff be separate. I know this isn't a regular Linux custom, but I come from a BSD-ish background.

Lastly, developing as much as I have, I keep on having dirty unmounts on my flash, which is ext2-formatted. I need to change this to a filesystem that is less hurt by dirty unmounts (like a journaling FS, like maybe ext3). I haven't really followed FS development on Pandora, could someone please give me a good recommendation for a better FS to use on my flash (32G)? Isn't there something newer/better and Pandora-tested, than just ext3?

Last edited by a moderator:
I should add 1 thing: if someone can point me towards a really good description of how to form an opkg-type package, I'd be happy to produce packages for what I build, but note that my own-built python doesn't support sqlite3.

Back