Hp Touchpad

http://touch-droid.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2
use at your own risk, still a wip

Got mine from a friend who had an extra. Great little device for the $125 I paid. I really love their multi-tasking implementation as a former iOS 4 user and even as an android user. Too bad the software outlook is bleak. Hulu and Netflix could really make this little guy shine.

DaMummy said:
not sorted, im still getting asked

So am I. Since the person responsible for the problem has failed to fix it, would it be possible for a mod to edit or delete the offending post?

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked one up. Really enjoying webOS, and as yet I have no desire to put Android on it. (That may change when CM7 is released). It has a couple of weak points like the stock web browser, but I love the homebrew-centric nature of the community, and it looks like this is just the beginning of a nice spike in development.

Got sucked into the Angry Birds vortex. Stupid shallow addictive frustrating grumble grumble @#%$ I hate you.

Images fixed BTW. @iprice: I just grabbed the GP2X image from the File Archive, and rehosted both on imgur. I will pick up B'lox next time I have my Touchpad out. :)

[edit] Should add, if anyone has bought a Touchpad and not done the speed tweaks, sort your stuff out:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/how-to-improve-the-performance-of-your-new-hp-touchpad/3866
http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/293028-new-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html

anexanhume said:
Got mine from a friend who had an extra. Great little device for the $125 I paid. I really love their multi-tasking implementation as a former iOS 4 user and even as an android user. Too bad the software outlook is bleak. Hulu and Netflix could really make this little guy shine.
check Gruso's post above me, the 2nd link has a very easy fix for HULU which works just fine

Why hasn't VLC or some other decent video player been compiled for it yet?
Anyone have a suggestion for a good video player?

WizardStan said:
Kalemsoft seems the only one, not free though
there is also touchplayer on preware, a simple port of ffplay, very crude, but ok for small divx.

pepone said:
WizardStan said:
Kalemsoft seems the only one, not free though
there is also touchplayer on preware, a simple port of ffplay, very crude, but ok for small divx.

If you get the latest beta of Kalemsoft`s media player ( excellent by the way ) when out and about put it in airplane mode vids play without having to phone home...

akator said:
DaMummy said:
not sorted, im still getting asked

So am I. Since the person responsible for the problem has failed to fix it, would it be possible for a mod to edit or delete the offending post?

Since you are still a noob here (and I've been a GP2X and Wiz homebrew contributer for the last 3 and a half years), I'll ignore that. The host website went down for a short time (something I did NOT fail to fix - it was out of my control) so it might have been then that you tried to view the images.

Cheers Gruso BTW. :)

Sup Touchpad owners. We're running a donation drive over on the PreCentral boards, to get a dev called Rakashazi some hardware, which will net us some of his great ports. The thread over at PreCentral explains who he is and why he's a good recipient. If you desire a few more emulators and have a few bucks to spare, please head over and clicky click the donate button:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/302497-emulation-fans-nes-snes-md-gb-msx-etc-lets-get-rakashazi-touchpad.html

:)

I don't desire more emulators though, I just want a decent video player. :(

It's $7.
Seems strange to me that neither VLC nor MPlayer (or any other video player, any one at all honestly) have hit PreWare yet.

Or any decent web browsers. It goes to show how dev-centric our open handhelds are; with just a few thousand users we get all sorts of cool things, but there are nearly a million new Touchpad owners and not a great deal seems to have happened.

Gruso said:
Or any decent web browsers. It goes to show how dev-centric our open handhelds are; with just a few thousand users we get all sorts of cool things, but there are nearly a million new Touchpad owners and not a great deal seems to have happened.

Unfortunately, 99.5% of those users only bought the machine because it was cheap. They didn't buy the TP because they really wanted it, or cared what it was capable of. And it's likely that 60+% of these owners will only use it as some sort of photo frame/media player/browser and not support or encourage developers/development. There were never that many devs for TP (as the SDK only came out a short time before the TP itself) and lots of those have left webOS or are preparing to move on due to lack of support from HP (many long-standing webOS devs can't even get hold of a TP).

The community here for the GP2X/Wiz/Caanoo is also a lot stronger than that for the TP with some wonderfully strong characters (like them or loathe them). There's been a massive increase in posts from new TP owners over at Pre-Central, but few of them are repeat posters or actually contribute to the community/webOS/TP itself - many are asking for help or requesting apps and then never post again. As a dev I've replied to at least five people requesting apps - only one replied. When I asked him what he wanted he gave a vague reply. I asked for more info and haven't heard from him since.

However, there are still devs working on apps, and they are doing a very good job. We should help support every new dev where possible to keep webOS alive and kicking. Shame HP don't have the same philosophy. :(

So yes, I shall donate to the cause :)

iprice said:
Unfortunately, 99.5% of those users only bought the machine because it was cheap. They didn't buy the TP because they really wanted it, or cared what it was capable of. And it's likely that 60+% of these owners will only use it as some sort of photo frame/media player/browser and not support or encourage developers/development. There were never that many devs for TP (as the SDK only came out a short time before the TP itself) and lots of those have left webOS or are preparing to move on due to lack of support from HP (many long-standing webOS devs can't even get hold of a TP).

The community here for the GP2X/Wiz/Caanoo is also a lot stronger than that for the TP with some wonderfully strong characters (like them or loathe them). There's been a massive increase in posts from new TP owners over at Pre-Central, but few of them are repeat posters or actually contribute to the community/webOS/TP itself - many are asking for help or requesting apps and then never post again. As a dev I've replied to at least five people requesting apps - only one replied. When I asked him what he wanted he gave a vague reply. I asked for more info and haven't heard from him since.

However, there are still devs working on apps, and they are doing a very good job. We should help support every new dev where possible to keep webOS alive and kicking. Shame HP don't have the same philosophy. :(

So yes, I shall donate to the cause :)

Your thinking in lines of an open source community such as this one. The Hp Touchpad is seen as more of a commercial product than a niche hobby device like GP2X line. Consumers of the Hp Touchpad are more familiar with purchasing a completed software similar to the Apple's i-products not paying upfront to get the software they want. It's very unlikely that there will be any big donations at least until the requested software is finished.

...and the moderators at PreCentral aren't much help. My thread has been deleted, because "Pre Central does not allow threads requesting donations to be posted by new members."

I've appealed the decision, explaining my background and how they can check that I'm not a scammer. I politely suggested that the last thing the platform needs is anything getting in the way of new software. I also pointed out that several people have already donated, which means that their (and my) money has now been pissed into the wind well and truly.

Thanks for being one of the contributors iprice - and my apologies if it turns out I've lead you down the garden path.

I'm awaiting their reply. We may get the thread revived, who knows.

Back