HP Touchpad

Tom`

Specifications: 1.2 GHz dual-core Cortex-A8, 1GB low-power DDR2, 9.7" capacitive 1024x768 touchscreen, front-facing webcam, 802.11b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth, 6000 mAh battery good for eight hours or so (according to Engagdet's test).

Price, if you can find anyone officially selling it: $99 for the 16GB model, $149 for the 32GB.

Has anyone managed to get one of these? I've been trying for a while (I arrived at Best Buy well before they opened, but they had already given out advance tickets. I have one on order online, but who knows whether the shop will ever get enough stock to fulfill all the orders).

What really annoys me is the way people buy dozens just to scalp on eBay and Craigslist.

If anyone has managed to find one, have you tried any other Linuxes (Android, Ubuntu chroot or anything) on it yet?

imo, you might wonna save your money and just wait for cyanogenmod. android already runs on the touchpad as of 2 days ago as an app, but theres still major issues, but devs are on the right track. android as an app sounds really nice though, keeping the great webos, while still getting your android apps on the side

Last edited by a moderator:
I've definitely got my eye on Cyanogenmod. When I can dual boot that, I will. But I'd also like to see webOS get a few more treats before it dies in the rear completely! Threw him a tenner, hopefully I'm not the only one. :D

Never got mine. I heard rumors that the store employees pretty much cut the line where I ordered mine and got units already sold to clients :(

anybody that ordered from HP SMB back when sale was on, is getting their orders just now shipping in the following 2 weeks. they already sent the emails out about it

Funny... looks like I'm just going to wait for CM7 now. The mods at PreCentral will not allow me to seek donations for Robert, despite a ton of verification info. I thought that scene was pretty homebrew friendly. On the contrary, an initiative to bring more software in just gets shut down.

Well that's lame. Sorry mate. If you were closer I'd have probably helped top up.

Emphasis on the alpha, in case it wasn't made clear on the page, and the readmes, and the countless forum posts. :D

anybody tried it out around here? a quick report if so would be okay

hows the web browsers, HD video playback(1080p) in movie players, not youtube and the like, wifi, random android apps/games?

i didnt read too much into it, but are you able to put any other filesystem onto it so theres no 4gb fat32 filesize limit?

I didn't delve too much. Stock web browser worked fine. No market access yet but I did manually install a few games which ran nicely. I didn't try any media at all, as it's not something I'd do on a tablet anyway. I believe I saw reports of video playback being much better than under webOS though.

Back