Http://www.gbax.com/pspreview.html

kotd

Website
Visit site
http://www.gbax.com/pspreview.html

Great review Craigix. Pretty spot on, though I would have bashed nintendo a bit more for giving sony crap during E3 and the awfully pathetic DS.

Ridge Racers is mind blowing. Though DS owners can play the nasty looking Ridge Racers on the DS. Which looks worse than the very first game on the Playstation.

Fanboys should stay away from PSPs completely if they don't want to turn to the darkside :p haha

as much as i've been a DS supporter since the start, I've got to admit the PSP (by the looks of it) really does kick arse.

sorry nintendo.

a guy (games shop owner) on another forum I go to, reckons the PSP will outsell DS by a ratio of 5:1. and I believe him.

If i'd had the cash, I'd have bought a DS by now... maybe I'm lucky I'm so skint...

again... sorry, nintendo....

Hmmm, I am very happy with my DS but I have to get one of these. I'm sure the DS and PSP can live happily side by side in my life.

I can agree with the 5:1 ratio thing... I have both a DS and a PSP... and let me tell you, I'm tempted to buy another four PSP's :p

Yet I was damn close to selling my DS until I saw the screenshots of castlevania running on it.

Seriously, fan boys piss me off. The DS is nice, sure, but can not compare with the PSP in any way. And the fanboys will say "well the DS may not be as powerful but it will have better GAMES" yeah well, where are they? I have 6 games for my PSP and all except one (dynasty warriors) are really great games. I have three for my DS and Mario is really the only one even worth playing, and there are no more out so far that look so great. Yeah the Nintendo exclusives will be good, they always are, but if that's ALL it's gonna have, who cares? The only reason I'm keeping my DS at all is for those exclusives, and for Castlevania. The DS may get some good ones, no doubt, but what, you think the PSP wont??

I looked up fanboy in the dictionary today and found that picture that was floating all over the net a few years back, of the naked man bent completely over with his head shoved in his own ass, but this time he had a big red N painted on his buttcheek.

Don't get me wrong, I've held all along (well, since I bought one at least) that the PSP has faults as well. My biggest gripe with the system is the slow reaction time of the LCD. This problem seems to badly affect dark colors... when dark colored things move around rapidly (or the back ground shifts or whatever) it leaves a visible blur or trail. I first noticed this in ridge racer but thought this was intentional blurring. Then I played Metal Gear Acid, and since all the levels there are bordered by black, whenever you shift the camera or whatnot it blurs real bad. Brighter games like Golf don't suffer from this noticeably.

Some good news for anyone still interested in picking up a japanese one, shipments have been going out steady and the prices have started to come down nicely. Average for a Value Pack used to be around $600, now it's down to low $400 (on ebay, as well as places like Lik Sang).

EDIT: Craig had one thing wrong though, about the speaker running the lenght of the top of the system. Actually, there are four small holes along the BOTTOM of the system (two on the face, two on the actual bottom).

Correction, a couple of auctions for Value Packs ending on Ebay right now for low $300, or high $300 with Ridge Racers. That's barely more than they will cost when they release locally......

Agree with you there Bast.

What the Nintendo fanboys seem to be forgetting when they spout all this 'Sony has no experience with the handheld market' is that the DS and especially the PSP represent a new era for the handheld. Previously many developers had ignored or overlooked handhelds because they were/are seen as a kids toy. Now games are fully 3D and potentially very complex affairs they'll not only appeal to a whole new aduience, they'll be taken seriously by a whole new set of developers. Namco, EA, Konami etc can all release their brand names on the PSP and the chavs will lap it up.

OMG I want one.. Anyone want to trade a BLU for there PSP ? :p hehe

finaly
people on my side
well, I cant wait till it comes out in the USA
( come on... March get here faster!! )
I will pick one up solely for the Video option ( sorry, but thiss will kick the GP32's GPCinema's ass )
and for the posability of great 16 player games wirelessly with a headset, LAN party here I come!
all the other things, just a bonus!
I love portable video, and this will be so much better than my Non-FLU
I actually migth sell my GP32 , but I dont know about that one yet, thats a big decision I dont want to make until A little bit after the PSP comes out

~Octavious

and , I hope the Wireless function is as good as it sounds
my friends tested the DS's wireless, we got about 60 - 70 feet apart in an empty hallway before we lost connection , and at 40 feet , we lost the coonection when he turned a corner, and its not even a 90 degree corner , its a gradual turn, once I lost sight of him he dropped
Wireless sucks on the DS , along with everything else, so, I cant wait for the PSP
Sony said that If a friend and I were on opposite sides of a football field and no one was one it, we would still get a meg a minute connection
hope thats true.....

finaly
people on my side
well, I cant wait till it comes out in the USA
( come on... March get here faster!! )
I will pick one up solely for the Video option ( sorry, but thiss will kick the GP32's GPCinema's ass )

I always knew / said that the PSP Would kick the DS's ass

And yes, It will Kick the GP32's Ass, But think of it... Would you like to carry a £250 - £300 console around with you in your pocket??? When I get one, Ill be scared to take it out the house :p

I will always have a GP32 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
its not gona cost that much in US dollars, and I think that rate is higher than US currency
Its supposed to run right around or under 200$ for the unit, and about 230-250 for the value pack or whatever its called

~Octavious

and yes, If I pay for it, its going with me, I am not leaving it alone

Does look tasty. I still can't wait for my ds to get here though. It's just something a bit different that I want to try out.

PSP is clearly the hardcore gamers device though. If you want to sit down and play through a massive rpg or something (so long as you have an electrical outlet next to you anyway :)) I'd much rather do it on a psp.

I expect I'll wait till the psps launch here to get one. Until then I'll be playing wario touch and mario 64 :).

As much as i dont want people to think im a fanboy all i have to say is that DS and PSP are for different areas of the gaming market. PSP for older gamers and DS for Kids and also adults. I haven't tried psp but i would like to see how it handled but i think i will stay with my ds.
PS sega should come back and kick both sony and nintendo's asses in the handheld market. Go SEGA!

From what i've heard from people I know, theres a lot more positive opinion in my area about the DS. I know at least three people getting DSes, and not one getting the PSP.
Personally, even from that glowing (and we all know why... kerching) review, I have no interest in the PSP. Commerical games are too expensive, Sony's media card prices are extortionate, and none of the games I've seen interest me in any way.

And yes. A Sega re-occurance would be fun, but I think they've found their place as the new alternative to EA with more in-house games.

Back