Huawei E160 not listed by lsusb

Tam Toucan

Still Fresh
I've been all through the forums and all over the net trying to get E160 USB 3G Modem installed with no luck.

Following the guide I get as far as running sudo lsusb, but all I get is

Code:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

dmesg shows

Code:
usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci-omap and address 2

hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enummerate USB device on port 2

I've been mucking around with modeswitch stuff, but not really got a clue what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts on what to try?

Cheers,

Tam.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the specs, the E160 is a Full Speed device. Unfortunately, the Pandora only supports High Speed devices on it's host port natively. You need to shut down and reboot your Pandora (since plugging in a non-high speed device causes the USB host to crash beyond recovery) and try it with a USB hub.

It's supposed to be USB 2.0: see here

I have the same problem but it's intermittent and unpredictable. For example, it will work a few time plugging in and out and then I'll get the same error. I tried killing NetworkManager but that doesn't make it anymore predictable. Out of all the compatible 3g modems, which is best?

According to this it is USB2.0 Full Speed, which actually makes it a USB1.1 device.

There's a lot of devices out there which claim "USB2.0" but are in fact USB1.1. I don't know why, probably because no one notices (because most computers tend to be compatible with both anyway) so no one complains.

didn't have much trouble with mine as i told you before, maro buddy

oddly, when i sudo lsusb it, i get:

Code:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem

i just can't figure it out what happens here. It says E160 on the device, linux reads it differently.

Can you output yours?

Mine doesn't output the model ie there is nothing after "Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.". It just outputs the device ID 12d1:140c.

I thought it was USB 2.0 (the wiki even uses it as the example of a USB 2.0 device), but I'll get a hub and try that (actually I had one on order from DealExtreme which hasn't arrived...grrr).

Cheers.

USB 1.1 could be either 1.5Mbs or 12Mbs. Thus they started calling devices that were 12Mbs "Full Speed" devices. Then along came USB 2.0 with its 480Mbs speeds, and they needed a new designation for them, so they called them "High Speed" devices. Since "Full Speed" sounds like it means 'as fast as possible for this protocol,' some advertisers (I'd say 'unscrupulous advertisers,' but that would be a meaningless repetition) decided to use USB 2.0 and "Full Speed" together to confuse buyers into thinking that devices that were only 12Mbs were actually 480Mbs.

Back