Hurricane Irene

Anyone being affected by Hurricane Irene? I'm expecting to lose power at some point tomorrow, but hoping the weather is not severe enough to cut into my blackout Pandora time :) .

I kayaked 46 miles in 44 hours due to a flood control dam releasing water that was being held for recreational purposes. Now that dam in NE PA is shut down, releasing no water, in a holding pattern until the Delaware crests from flooding. Great time to be a kayaker if you know what you are doing out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really starting to pick up here now. They're saying 70 to 80mph winds tonight and we have a tornado watch. Luckily we're not in an area prone to flooding since we could get a foot of rain. The lights are still on though and the worst of the storm isn't supposed to hit till early in the A.M.

In CT, got a light wind, bit of rain, nothing nothing to hard.

I got more wind than rain. But the power did go out here for about 24 hours, in Remsenburg on Long Island. I'm entirely safe, as is my dad in New York City.

OK, we got a full on tropical storm, power outages, my internet was down 'till today but otherwise we're OK :)

I didn't even lose power for 24 hours. When I got it back, I got TV, cable, and Internet back at the exact same time. And Irene was so minor, a nearby area in Westhampton called Dune Road, which is right on the water (and was obliterated when Hurricane Gloria hit in the 80's), didn't even suffer any damage! In fact, my own neighborhood had more to clean up than Dune Road did, as they don't have any large trees. The worst there? A few uprooted shingles, a big-ass puddle in a segment of the road, and the beach being closed for the day. The worst here? A few downed trees and branches, lots of leaves, and one totally uprooted tree.

The media must really overplay the disaster, as I saw flooded towns with water pouring down the streets, and wooden bridges ( why do they have roofs on!? ) being swept away by torrents of water.

In retrospect, all those events probably happened in one unlucky little backwater town, and everyone else got off lightly. Bloomin' melodramatic media.

It's probably because everyone was woefully unprepared for Katrina. I mean, that sucked. Having another hurricane hit us that blindly would've been a big embarrassment to our nation.

In all seriousness, regardless of media, Vermont and some parts of upstate New York got extremely pounded. It may have been overhyped when compared to Katrina, but the results of this storm were deadly and costly.

Not as much as Katrina. Some areas of New Orleans STILL don't have power. Poor black people aren't allowed to have electricity, apparently.

Parts of Jersey got it pretty bad. Getting around the state this week has been a nightmare with all the flooded roads. A few towns are even delaying the start of the school year because their roads are still under water. We only lost power for about an hour, probably because a lot of my towns power lines are below ground. Others weren't as lucky though, some areas are still dark.

I think a few areas near me (Hampton Bays and Sag Harbor, mainly) still don't have power, to my knowledge.

Same here, surrounding towns still down.

Wow you guys in CT are damn lucky. I live on the shoreline and lost power for a week and about half the trees in my neighborhood fell. A block down was complete flooding, as in I waist deep trudging through water, winds ripped sidings and roofs off of houses and raw waves were smashing down houses built along the shoreline. My girlfriend uncle and I were standing at what used to be the shoreline, in a raised condo patio and were being washed by the water. It was an awesome, powerful storm.

Back