I broke my PC :(

Thegerg

Still Fresh
I finally have enough money for a pandora... anyway i damaged my computer case so i bought a new one and put all my computer parts in and plugged them in but it won't turn on! Now i have to use my pandora money to but a new computer...

all my friends said when i got a pandora they would check it out and probably buy one! Now i'l never be able to have super fun pandora parties with friends :(

Thagerg said:
I finally have enough money for a pandora... anyway i damaged my computer case so i bought a new one and put all my computer parts in and plugged them in but it won't turn on! Now i have to use my pandora money to but a new computer...

all my friends said when i got a pandora they would check it out and probably buy one! Now i'l never be able to have super fun pandora parties with friends :(
Damn, I'm sure you would get all the girls at a pandora party :(

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
Did you make sure to put the standoffs in behind the motherboard?
I was going to ask the same thing.

The first motherboard upgrade I did blew up on me because one of the metal stands was in the wrong place and shorted it out completely. Expensive mistake, but one that I've never made again thankfully.

You usually have to reset the cmos jumper on 1st boot as well (well you used to have to last time a built a computer from scratch around 5 yrs ago).

Have you dble checked all connections?

Are you getting any lights on, or any computer beeps?

You should post detailed symptoms of your problems and post closup digital pictures from all angles of all parts of the board and wiring.

Some of us here have been working on and building computers for a very long time ;)

now why do people post such useless topics

what replies was he expecting to get, fair enough he got replies to fix his pc

but this is the pandora section, either go to another section or go to a different forum

Tripmonkey_uk said:
The first motherboard upgrade I did blew up on me because one of the metal stands was in the wrong place and shorted it out completely. Expensive mistake, but one that I've never made again thankfully.
:D

Same thing happens to me. 15 years old, and putting together your first computer. What? It boots but keeps rebooting in the bios menu? *huh* ... Get rid off all the hardware, still problem, try again, again ... Takes it to a shop. Ofcourse, the one thing i dident do, was remove the MB. Forgot one off the metal stands, and made contact with the MB. Resulting in a short & reboot :)

Lucky me, nothing damaged ( expect my pride ). :) Daim, 16 years go by fast :(

Benjiro said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
:D

Same thing happens to me. 15 years old, and putting together your first computer. What? It boots but keeps rebooting in the bios menu? *huh* ... Get rid off all the hardware, still problem, try again, again ... Takes it to a shop. Ofcourse, the one thing i dident do, was remove the MB. Forgot one off the metal stands, and made contact with the MB. Resulting in a short & reboot :)

Lucky me, nothing damaged ( expect my pride ). :) Daim, 16 years go by fast :(

Haha, I made mine when I was 15, and it worked :)

(uh, most of the time making it was trying to work out how that fucking stock C2D cooler goes on :/)

Sometimes the fan on top of the cpu moves a tiny bit when i hit the power button... I have no idea what standoffs are but i put everything back like it was before. I took some video's and they should be done uploading soon.

Senor Quack said:
You should post detailed symptoms of your problems and post closup digital pictures from all angles of all parts of the board and wiring.

Some of us here have been working on and building computers for a very long time ;)
Yes and let's have a look at that case damage.

I'd bet that you wired the power supply in wrongly... that happened to me before. Shitty new standards confuse me. You know, you should have the normal 24 pin power connector and some boards require an additional 4 pin connector. Check if you might have mixed that up. I have a power supply which has three different 4 pin connectors and only one is supposed to go into the motherboard, the other two are for graphics adapters which require additional juice to work.

Fishbong said:
Um, how can standoffs short out anything on the MB? The screw holes are isolated from everything else...
There's two very common errors newbies make when mounting motherboards:

1.) They screw in standoffs to every hole on the case and then mount the board, not realizing that not all boards use all available standoff locations. Also very common to find this when someone replaces their motherboard with another one and doesn't carefully check the new board's standoff locations.

2.) They don't use standoffs at all and screw the motherboard down directly onto the case. Often the case will have offset spots that look like perfect places to mount the board but they're really there to accept standoffs and will short the board otherwise, being too wide.

Other less common errors regarding motherboard installation in general are:

* Installing the ATX case plate and then getting the tabs that ensure good grounding to the outside of the usb ports stuck inside the ports themselves, shorting out the mobo.

* Getting the reset/power/speaker header pins connected wrong

* Forgetting to connect the 4-pin 12V auxillary CPU power cable to the mobo or using an older power supply that lacks this (rather uncommon nowadays)

* Incorrect installation of RAM. I've seen it inserted backwards (they really crammed it in) and also incompletely inserted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB0if3HvVlo...re=channel_page

I plugged in both the 24 connector and the 4 i think, the video where i unplug everything is still uploading

Your power supply may be damaged, I had an enermax galaxy die on me. It never really died as such though, it just started needing absurd amounts of off time between AC power cycles or it would cut out as soon as I tried to power my comp on. Like if I shut down I'd have to wait 30 minutes before I could power it on again.

The real anoying factor being that doing it too early meant restarting the clock... so it had to go.

anyway, it flicked the fans a little when it powered on too, before beeping and the LED turn red.

I also suspect, that in damaging your case (u dropped it eh?) you gave some physical shock to the power supply which could have caused damage to the transformer core or something. I've seen many a power brick die due to physical shock in shipping... but I handle 19" rack mount PSU's here..

Either way anyway, it's clear that there is a concensus that your ability to provide electricity to all the right places has been compromised.

is a 450W power supply enough, my damage one has a 550W power supply
the stats are:

Geforce6100SM-M motherboard
Geforce 8400GS video card
2GB ram

Senor Quack said:
1.) They screw in standoffs to every hole on the case and then mount the board, not realizing that not all boards use all available standoff locations. Also very common to find this when someone replaces their motherboard with another one and doesn't carefully check the new board's standoff locations.

Ah, OK, that answers it. I assumed noone'd srcew in standoffs into the case where there are no holes on the MB.

the cpu fan plug has 3 holes and the spot on the motherboard where i thought i was suppose to plug it into has 4 ... ?

Back