I did it!

timothee

Website
Visit site
20101129_01_rtype3.png

Muuuuahahahaha, I have finally finished R-type III in hard mode (my favorite shoothemup)!! I remember struggling like hell to finish it in "normal" mode ~15 years ago, and was disgusted to see it start again right away in hard mode (at which point, I think I moved on to something else :p ). Now thanks to my pandora, snes9x4P, and save states, I have beaten the damn game!!!

But I'm curious: did anyone actually finished that game without save states, or the level choser cheat? R-type 3 is freaking hard! Even with save states, it wasn't easy :/

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread reminds me about the time that finishing a game gave you bragging rights...ah..those were the days.

But, it doesn't count if you used save states.

Nice :)

Yeah finishing an old skool game was what if was all about, and doing it before your mate who was also hot on it. Snes marioworld was a memorable one, remember that spinning zooming effect as you beat him being a top effect for it's time

I want to see more of these pandora completion achievements, "finish him"

lol, thanks for the cookie!

Dudes, saved states are totally fair game ever since I haven't been able to have more than 30mn continuous playtime, which is basically since I had kids... no scratch that, when I got married... no scratch that, when I got a job... well whatever, a bloody long time.

Plus, seriously, games as hard as R-Type III which did not save your progress, or at least allow to restart at the level you stopped, are a crime against humanity.

But OK, let me change my question then: who else has finished R-Type III in hard mode, with or without saved states? Coz I hate to say it but... you can't really call yourself a man if you haven't finished R-Type III in hard mode (or a woman for that matter) ;)

Congrats :D

The only game I've ever completed is Mario Land on the original Gameboy. Not much to brag about though as it is one of the easiest games ever made <_<
Same here, the only game I have ever legitimately completed. Might not have been the most complicated game in history, but for some reason it was terribly satisfying. Maybe because you had no save and to beat it you had to be able to play all the way through in one sitting. (yeah, I know one could plug in an adapter and pause but we didn't usually do things like this much did we)

Sadly, they never made another original Mario like this one, even when they went from color to GBA. Now on DS the new Mario game while not bad necessarily, just doesn't have the same feel. Again, there is some charm about the old gameboy that GBA and DS has left behind. My Dream GBA2 would be a wide-screen unit with decent resolution and be designed for 2D games like those of the old gameboy, just with higher graphical abilities. Color is even optional (Greyscale preferred 16 levels would be sweet). NO 3D (without the old tricks used on the original GB)

lol, thanks for the cookie!

Dudes, saved states are totally fair game ever since I haven't been able to have more than 30mn continuous playtime, which is basically since I had kids... no scratch that, when I got married... no scratch that, when I got a job... well whatever, a bloody long time.

Plus, seriously, games as hard as R-Type III which did not save your progress, or at least allow to restart at the level you stopped, are a crime against humanity.

But OK, let me change my question then: who else has finished R-Type III in hard mode, with or without saved states? Coz I hate to say it but... you can't really call yourself a man if you haven't finished R-Type III in hard mode (or a woman for that matter) ;)
does this mean that before today you were not a man or a woman? with your statement i am not either as well....youre changing my whole outlook on life.... i cant take this anymore!!! :D

Save states helped me beat Fester Quest on the NES, practically impossible game until half way through then it is a breeze. Getting to that half way point is another story.

For me the best thing about save states is I just don't have hours and hours of game time so on games that don't have a save feature they're pretty handy.

does this mean that before today you were not a man or a woman? with your statement i am not either as well....youre changing my whole outlook on life.... i cant take this anymore!!! :D

Hahaha, don't panic gender has nothing to do with it. Think of it as a rite of passage: before I completed R-Type III in hard mode, I was nothing more than a child with no real accomplishments...

your enthusiasm towards life has brought me back to the republic, i mean good side, i shall give this R-type III a shot :D hopefully i can feel somewhat like a man if i can finish it in normal difficulty

I never could get through even the first few levels of any R-Type game. They're wicked hard!!

I did however beat Life Force on the NES once (before emulation, but I don't think without the Konami code for the extra lives, though). That felt like a major accomplishment. Life Force was very similar, but not quite as frustrating.

Glad you're enjoying your Pandora!

Edit: Whoops didn't mean to grave dig. Damn you Similar Topics box!

I've done that a few times but no one on this these forums seems to care if it is not about old Pandora news. I bet this one will get a few posts longer about peoples exploits in games before it sinks below page one again.

I've done that a few times but no one on this these forums seems to care if it is not about old Pandora news. I bet this one will get a few posts longer about peoples exploits in games before it sinks below page one again.

This is true. I plan on playing through EarthBound, maybe FFVII (but not without cheating my way through, I just don't have the time otherwise), and a few other games - probably all using save states.

I'm just too old to play legitimately anymore. I simply don't have the time.

This is true. I plan on playing through EarthBound, maybe FFVII (but not without cheating my way through, I just don't have the time otherwise), and a few other games - probably all using save states.

I'm just too old to play legitimately anymore. I simply don't have the time.
Earthbound is probably one of the easiest RPGs I've ever played but one of the best because it was so funny, and long, seems really long. I'm going to play that the first Mother and the third Mother on my Pandora. It is insane that those two didn't make it out of Japan considering how good Earthbound(Mother 2) is.

Back