I Fixed The Tv-out Cable!!

bobvodka posted on Feb 20 2006 at 06:50 PM said:
I tried that, still getting no joy :(

There is continuity down the connector, but for some reason I cant get a hint of a TV out signal...

Hmmm, maybe I should do a voltage check on it, if I use my multi-meter to bridge the gap between the inner pins and out case that should give me an idea of voltage running down the lines, right?

At least that way I stand a chance of seeing if I'm getting anything down them (shame I dont have the kit to directly test the pins on the EXT port to make sure they are working properly...

Some options

1) If you have money, buy a new cable, or do that and everything below, if within your means :D .

2) Buy the connector I found, (I labeled it with the word serial in the heading, just click my name and use the search for my topics option.), it is $5.24 total shipped from axshop.com. This is a full connector with all 24 pins and includes a Serial line level convertor for the PC (12volt PC to 3.3 volt GP2X), you can use it to check your GP2X if you want, and use it to make a TV-Out cable, beware the pins are labeled backwards on the actual plug when compared to the wiki (search google for gp2x wiki) I.E. 24 would be labeled 1 on this connector.

3) Double check to see you are really running 1.2.1, (you must us the update image that will flash when you boot, and then run the .gpu file in the utilities menu with the proper compressed file for it to update your programs to ones that support the TV-out feature.

If you are actually fully updated, make sure you are well connected to the S-Video port on the TV, on my RCA it won't change to S-Video until there is a signal, so I must first go to tools, then click on TV-Out, then choose NTSC, then change my TV to the correct input, otherwise my TV won't see the S-Video signal ( a good hint is if your TV is nice enough to print "S-Vid" on the screen to let you know.

Just seeing "video in" is usually no good, on a TV with multiple lines, some being S-Video, the TV will let you know "video 1", or "video 2", on a TV with a combo port like mine it should tell you S-Vid.

Another possibility is that you have something defective, my guide was designed for those who where able to get a picture by pressing and holding their plug in.

I hope some of this has been helpful.

Oops, sorry I forgot to mention that it may help to hold the connector in so the TV will recognize it when you switch to the Video channel, I realize this requires 3 hands, in lieu of a helper, be creative, I use an elbow or my toe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back