I Gots A Question...

TheScyth

Still Fresh
How much space will come with the Pandora itself? (Not SD cards.)
I've been wondering this for some time now.

As PlopperZ said, the 256MB NAND will only be for the OS and not available to the user for storage.

So all apps and data will go on SD/SDHC cards. Which isn't bad considering there are 2 slots and SD cards are very cheap now, and SDHC cards are available in 16GB and even 32GB capacities. Plus you can even use portable USB HDD's if you desire some really massive storage. So storage space won't be an issue.

Prophet said:
As PlopperZ said, the 256MB NAND will only be for the OS and not available to the user for storage.

So all apps and data will go on SD/SDHC cards. Which isn't bad considering there are 2 slots and SD cards are very cheap now, and SDHC cards are available in 16GB and even 32GB capacities. Plus you can even use portable USB HDD's if you desire some really massive storage. So storage space won't be an issue.
Or even a nice big juicy USB STICK. :)

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, If one has invested in a non supported card (Eyes Memory Stick Pro Duo and CF ) Then there should be no problem using a USB Card Reader.

Prophet said:

That reminds me of a question: will the cards auto(u)mount (provided nothing's running from them, obviously) or is it a manual affair?

"That's what she said!!!!"

Goddammit Scott!! Get out of my head!

Speaking of the cards - will they stick out of the machine or will I be able to safely put the thing in my pocket with the SDs inside without having to fear they'll snap, or even worse - damage their ports?

I've never used SD cards so I don't know how those things work...

Karel Jansens said:
Prophet said:

That reminds me of a question: will the cards auto(u)mount (provided nothing's running from them, obviously) or is it a manual affair?

"That's what she said!!!!"

Goddammit Scott!! Get out of my head!

More than likely, the SD cards will automount themselves. There has been discussion as to how they will mount, though.

/home/ ; /mnt/sdX ; unionfs

Having internal usable memory is no concern these days considering the price of SD Cards now.

A 16gb SDHC costs roughly the same as what i was paying 6 years back for a 128mb SMC for the old GP32! :blink:

x68000 said:
Having internal usable memory is no concern these days considering the price of SD Cards now.

A 16gb SDHC costs roughly the same as what i was paying 6 years back for a 128mb SMC for the old GP32! :blink:
True, but a 16gb sd costs about the same as a 160gb portable hd, and buying 2 16gb is about £88. Not that there should be a need to have a huge 'apps' SD - I had Ubuntu installed in an additional partion of 5gb and there was about 1.5gb free. So I'm guessing a 4gb or perhaps 8gb should be enough.

It's not the apps. It's the roms, movies, iso's, music, what have you, that take up the large amounts of space. I'll probably buy a 16 gig sd card and i'll probably fill it up, or at least close to.

My laptop has 6 gig's(trying to get a 60 gig soon for it, as the BIOS can't take any higher) But It has a gig free right now, only Apps, pictures(backgrounds of cool fractals), 1 song, 3 documents, 9 megs of web stuff, and that'- it.

For windows I have a 160 gig drive that i've used 70 gigs of. On my linux drive, a 120 gig drive, i've used 30 gigs. I plan to fill up at least a 16 gig flash drive.

CODE
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 49G 27G 20G 58% /
/dev/hda5 69G 58G 8.0G 88% /home
/dev/hdb1 225G 149G 65G 70% /media/film
/dev/hda2 64G 30G 34G 47% /media/windows
/dev/sda1 276G 190G 72G 73% /media/tv
/dev/sdb1 276G 204G 61G 78% /media/tv2
/dev/sdc1 459G 421G 15G 97% /media/tv3

I need a way of plugging this into my pandora :p

In my PC I have a 640Gb HD with 300Gb partition for Windows and the rest for other bits and bobs... then I have a 1TB for movies, tv, music etc, and an external 250Gb for other stuff like anime

On my Pandora I think I'll just get a nice big 16Gb SDHC card or something, can't see me needing any more than that!

parag0n said:
CODE
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

Are we playing that game now?

drivesjl5.png

10 physical drives, six internal and four external. 3.3TB total storage. Total number of 32GB SDHC cards I would need to hold all my crap - 105.

I have another four 250GB drives in an external USB enclosure that is not hooked up because one of the drives is on death's door and I haven't gotten around to figuring out which.

Back