I Just Finished Final Fantasy Vii (again) On My Psp...

jimid2

Website
Visit site
I guess with 10 years of perspective on it, I have to admit that the story is disjointed at times (partly because of a clunky translation in places, I think) and the Death of Aeris wasn't as melodramatic as I remember it being, but overall it remains perhaps the best console RPG I've ever played - and returning to it all these years later certainly didn't diminish my memory of it in any way.

I decided I'd revisit it on my PSP this time 'round, courtesy DarK_AleX's custom firmware, and I have to say the game looked and played wonderfully on the handheld. Even though everything was essentially stretched to fit the widescreen format, nothing looked awkward or distorted - in fact I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the CGI throughout the game; I guess I was expecting it to look a little dated all these years later, but it really didn't. I did run into trouble with my first set of EBOOTs because I assigned each disc its proper GameID number, but once I figured out that I had to use the same GameID number for all three discs so that I'd be able to use the save files generated from Disc One with Discs Two and Three, I had no problems at all. For anyone who's interested, I used AutoPopstation4 to create the EBOOT.PBP files directly from my FFVII disc set - it was easy and fast.

I will say this about this game: it's no where near as hard as I remember it being - probably the result of another decade of experience (I've played all the other Final Fantasy games from I to X atleast once since I last played VII), but it really didn't stump me at any point, and I only lost my whole party in combat once I think... Still, it was a great ride, and now I want to go down to the theater room and watch Advent Children again... :lol:

That's all really - just wanted to share! If anyone else is thinking of revisiting FFVII for its 10th Anniversary, I highly recommend playing it on the PSP - it works great in that format...

Thanks ... for the spoiler, y' JERK!!!!

:p Yeah I'm playing it again on the PSP ... great times; we once played for ~12 hours in one sitting :)

I'm (slowly and have been stalled for a while) playing through III/VI again on PocketSnes... I'm now convinced it's better than VII. But heh :)

TelcoLou posted on Mar 24 2007 at 02:36 AM said:
Thanks ... for the spoiler, y' JERK!!!!

:p Yeah I'm playing it again on the PSP ... great times; we once played for ~12 hours in one sitting :)

:lol: Man, the only people who don't know by now that Aeris dies in FFVII are a few forgotten Taliban fighters lost in some caves in southern Afganistan and Jack Thompson :p

purple_goat posted on Mar 24 2007 at 06:18 AM said:
good to know
(1 more reason to get a modchip <_< )
Get that PSP un-bricked 'Goat! B)

Last edited by a moderator:
purple_goat posted on Mar 24 2007 at 06:18 AM said:
good to know

I don't see why, SquidgeSnes and PocketSnes are perfectly fine for snes.

Nova posted on Mar 24 2007 at 01:20 PM said:
Final Fantasy VII is a PSOne game - you can't play it on the GP2X, which is why we're discussiong the PSP... :lol:

^^ Oh you can play it, if you don't mind playing at somewhere between one-third and one-half speed the whole way through :lol:

Mudi posted on Mar 24 2007 at 06:34 PM said:
^^ Oh you can play it, if you don't mind playing at somewhere between one-third and one-half speed the whole way through :lol:
I guess that would be okay if you had to go to the bathroom during summons animations, or don't mind spending hours on the CGI animated sequences, but I think it would require more patience than I possess... :lol:

jimid2 posted on Mar 24 2007 at 02:29 PM said:
Final Fantasy VII is a PSOne game - you can't play it on the GP2X, which is why we're discussiong the PSP... :lol:

Mudi posted on Mar 24 2007 at 05:48 AM said:
I'm (slowly and have been stalled for a while) playing through III/VI again on PocketSnes... I'm now convinced it's better than VII. But heh :)
purple_goat posted on Mar 24 2007 at 07:18 AM said:
good to know
^
|
|

Going through the classics on my gp2x. Finished Phantasy Star IV a while ago (beautiful rpg, incredible story), last week finished Final Fantasy IV and now playing Chrono Trigger.
Afterwards I'll be going for FFV, Earthbound, Lunar 2, Terranigma, and once I have better batteries, or an adaptor, FFVI. :p

Despite lots of warnings on the boards, I ripped my FFVIII discs and started playing it on Sunday, only to have my PSP freeze up on me during the Comms Tower fight, just like everyone was saying... So FFVIII gets put away until Sony fix their PSOne emu on the PSP... :p
Mudi posted on Mar 24 2007 at 04:48 AM said:
As consolation, Mudi, I took a hint from your post, pulled out my DS and started Final Fantasy VI Advance last night - I haven't played it since I went through the SNES version many moons ago, and your post got me thinking about how much I liked it... In fact, I bought the game at Walmart for like $16 when it was released, but I didn't even get around to ripping off the shrink wrap until last night... I was actually ripping my PSOne Final Fantasy Anthology version when I remembered that I had the GBA cart. :rolleyes: Man, I got to get my games collection organized! :lol:

Back