I Killed My Gp2x

Clad

Website
www.magnetique.net
Hi,

I did something really stupid... I'm using the same adapter to supply both my GP2X (3v) and my VCS 2600 (9v). And yeah, you guessed it, I plugged it to my GP2X and switched it on while the adapter was still set to 9V.

Needless to say, it doesn't boot anymore. I only get the "white" screen, but nothing else (as if you tried to switch it on while too low on battery).

I guess I'm not the first one doing this mistake. So, must I just buy a new one or have I fried a not too expensive nor to hard to replace component ? Is there some kind of "I'll frie if the voltage's too high" component, or have I killed the CPU ? If repairable, what component do I need ?

Thank you

Clad,
Feeling very stupid.

Clad said:
Hi,

I did something really stupid... I'm using the same adapter to supply both my GP2X (3v) and my VCS 2600 (9v). And yeah, you guessed it, I plugged it to my GP2X and switched it on while the adapter was still set to 9V.

Needless to say, it doesn't boot anymore. I only get the "white" screen, but nothing else (as if you tried to switch it on while too low on battery).

I guess I'm not the first one doing this mistake. So, must I just buy a new one or have I fried a not too expensive nor to hard to replace component ? Is there some kind of "I'll frie if the voltage's too high" component, or have I killed the CPU ? If repairable, what component do I need ?

Thank you

Clad,
Feeling very stupid.
I think your best option is to talk to ED (EvilDragon) as he is more up to date with the technical side of the GP2X. He may even be able to repair it, for a price of course.

Sorry to hear you're little baby is friend though :(, have a virtual HUG from me.

Clare.

Last edited by a moderator:
well the most decent thing you could do is 100 ave maria and then bury it.
but im not decent so i would dissect and try to resurrect it and then scream upon success ALIVE IT,S ALIVE

If it fried it could be edible.
First events of gp2x-balism was detected...

So far I fried only my 4 rechargeble battarey (they were totaly inedible)

quasist said:
So far I fried only my 4 rechargeble battarey (they were totaly inedible)
They go nicely with some fava beans.

Clad: Sounds like you toasted the LTSK chip. I think EvilDragon knows how to sort that out.

Reverse polarity just seems to fry one component. 3 times the voltage may kill a lot more. There is a voltage reg in there though, so maybe just that got fried. Impossible to know really without doing an autopsy on the dead unit (unless someone else has already done it of course)

First thing to do is to swap the LTSK (DC-DC convertor) and see if it brings it to life - that usually is the one that gets fried via reverse polarity.

If i where you, i should measure the voltage of the DC-DC convertor first. If those values are correct, im afraid about the resurrection part.

But beaceuse you said "looks same as when batterys are empty" Big change the DC-DC converter is broken, and replacing might get your gp2x back online. Though its not a guarantee. More things could be broken.

You mean, my own external convertor ? I'm affraid it's not the one faulty, I just played with my VCS again, and it's running just fine.

Well, I guess I'll just hit ED. Thank you for answering.

RockOut said:
Why on earth do you use a multiple-voltage adaptor? Unfortunately, this is how 90% of GP2X's and GP32's are fried. :(
Probably because it can be very difficult to find the exact required power adaptor (especially centre negative here in the UK high street shops) without resorting to hacking your newly purchased power supply (warranty void).

Though the GP2x now has an official power adaptor, The GP32 never did have one released for it.

Trooper

RockOut said:
Why on earth do you use a multiple-voltage adaptor? Unfortunately, this is how 90% of GP2X's and GP32's are fried. :(
They are fine as long as you set them up once and don't keep switching between voltages for various things. Much easier and safer to buy one for each job.

Squidge said:
RockOut said:
They are fine as long as you set them up once and don't keep switching between voltages for various things. Much easier and safer to buy one for each job.

I take the connector off after every use, so I remember to adjust the voltage and polarity for the device (GP2X/iAudio X5).

Squidge said:
RockOut said:

i blew up my itrip doing the same thing, didnt relalise untill all the caps started popping that 24 volts was going into a 3v device : (

Back