Now I Have Just Been Very Stupid!

CraigsBar

Still Fresh
Hi folks,

Having just plugged my GP2x F200 into the power adaptor without first checking the voltage button I have fried it... 12v will do that to a 3v device :(

So now my question,,, do I need to source a new GP2X F200 on Ebay or will the Wiz be software back compatible. I can not live without the full versions of Payback, Vektar and Wind and Water. If these will run on the Wiz then I'll just order one of those. IF not then Ebay here I come.

Many thanks
:(

quasist said:
Replace one chip as I remember helps.
So there is hope for it ;) Any idea which component is most likely to be cooked, and therefore sourced for replacement?

Last edited by a moderator:
CraigsBar said:
Hi folks,

Having just plugged my GP2x F200 into the power adaptor without first checking the voltage button I have fried it... 12v will do that to a 3v device :(

You're not a real source of information... Is the F200 completely dead, or does it still power on on external power, when set to 3~4 volts? If it still powers on, the voltage converter chip is most likely to be fried. But if it doesn't power on at all, more damage has been done and it might be better to look for a replacement console.

To answer your other question, as I understood it nearly all F100/F200 programs are expected to run on the Wiz, but they need to be recompiled. So they won't run "out of the box", but the creator needs to upload a recompiled version. I bet most devs will do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replacing the power regulator chip only helps if the GP2X still works with an external power supply. If it doesn´t work at all, it´s completely fried. And even if only the power regulator is broken, its replacement is extremely hard even for experienced hobbyists with expensive equipment. I fried mine once, luckyly i have connections (zomg my dad works there) to a car electronics development department. They have the tools to change small chips quickly.

But back on topic, though most popular GP2X freeware will probably be ported to the Wiz, the commercial titles you bought for the 2X won´t be playable on it, since they´re encrypted to their SD cards, so if the developers offered a downloadable Wiz binary, it would break the copy protection.

If you hurry, you can still buy a gp2x at Evildragons shop. Looks like there are two left! http://www.gp2x.de/shop/product_info.php/p...nr71cbq7aqdoti3

Payback already have a download version, which breaks the copy protection, so I cannot see that as a valid reson for it not to be recompiled for the Wiz, also Wind&Water Puzzle Battles will most likely get a port (and this title also features no copy protection).

You will have to pay for them again though, even if they do get ported, as the Wiz is a new console, and not simply an upgraded GP2X.

Back