Can I Use Dc 6.3v On Gp2x?

Fu**ing brilliant moron.

I hope you are the guy who "cures" high-amp car audio woes with a large Capacitor, dumbass.*

The Capacitor will store some energy, yes. It CANNOT raise the maximum power output of the power supply.
I see you don't understand much of electronics, and also have such a bad attitude, so I'll be short..

A capacitor can raise your PSU peak maximum power output (pmpo, but not 'music' ones) because it can hold charge faster than any other electronic device, so you won't get GP2X running out of a transistor BUT you'll surely cut off most of the short power outages which can lead the console to a freeze

it's even common to see capacitors nearby CPUs sockets, CPUs can rise its consumption on power very quickly, and motherboard manufacturers have to install such capacitor to get it going on any reasonable power supply
But hey.... why am I teaching things for people who don't want to learn?
Running the GP2X on 300mAh power supplies is impossible, it is 1/3 the required current. The capacitor does smooth it out, but unless your cap can store enough energy to run the GP2X it will be pointless.
See, I don't have a GP2X nor I ever tried to use it with an amperimeter, so if it does run in a 300mAh (supposedly) surely a capacitor would just help, I never said that a capacitor would feed the console anyway.. and I really wonder if it demands 0.9Ah how the hell can you use it for about 10 hours without having 9000mAh batteries... do you have any? I wanna a 9 ampere AA-sized battery too! :rolleyes:

somebody tell jack boy over there that having to have a 900mAh PSU is different then saying "the console itself drain 900mA all-time-long"..
ON TOPIC: Please measure your power supply under load on the GP2X, I doubt it is putting out much over one volt, if you haven't blown it out by connecting to a device with such low resistance (high current drain). Under three times its rated load your "6.3v" power supply will not put out enough voltage or current. And the fluctuation in the voltage from extremely low to extremely high is bad for the GP2X.

*(Tip for car audio, GET A HIGHER RATED ALTERNATOR, and a larger battery, and if you need to pump a lot a bass the power caps will help store some energy release it as necessary, preventing your headlights from dimming. The Caps will not magically produce energy, you will still get burnt-out alternators and dead batteries from high-amp car audio systems.)

If you think my language is too strong you can tell me(or a mod can edit it with the cute little Politically Correct, "Child Safe" stars ** :p, though I warn you I just got off a 4AM to 12:45PM shift unloading a truck that I have to wake up at 2:50AM to make on time, I am a little too tired to deal with morons without the F word. :) :)

P.S. Your Idiocy is now in my sig for all to laugh at :D :lol:
Well, right now I think you're a complete dork, you simply did not read my message but still try to say something useful about it.... see wikipedia for RMS and PMPO power ratings

oh yeah, and for cars, you can use the biggest battery in the world and a 800A alternator, the problem with the bass is the distortion caused by transient voltage drops when the resistance of something drop quickly, it's a factor of time, not just power, dumb person. so if you want to do just free noise, like the nubie's ones, get a big alternator, you want to have have a good, hi-fidelity, sound system, then you have to put a large capacitor

hey, why don't you go to school and then someday you can have a better job instead of loading trucks?

What you guys are BOTH trying to say (before you started this p***ing contest) is that capacitor is actually a reservoir capacitor. It charges up fast, holds that charge and when the power drops the capacitor starts discharging, and quickly recharging. This does help on billions of electronic devices around the world, not just car audio systems and CPUs. What it doesn't do is increase the maximum voltage a PSU can provide. It cannot provide any more voltage than the circuit it's in.

The term to pickup here is 'reservoir' and that accurately describes it best. It's storing the juice ready to release it when the demand is high. Adding a large uF capacitor to the GP2X could help when overclocking, but only testing will reveal just how usefull it would be. I doubt it would make any difference due to the clock speed. It’s not like a car audio system where the bass is in a VERY slow rhythm, allowing the cap to charge, discharge etc.

The other thing I would like to add here is that ‘pre-charging’ a capacitor is going to make next to no difference at all under these circumstances and even then it wont hold enough power for the GP2X to even do very much (remember 1 amp on boot). You won’t destroy the power supply by charging a cap from an empty state???? Remember we are talking about a 300mAh PSU here and the only way in the world it’s going to work with capacitors is by having 1000’s of 22000uF in parallel, and then would it make it even past the boot stage? It would be an interesting exercise to see how long we could power a GP2X for on capacitors alone. If I wasn’t so tired I could remember the formulas to work out the no of caps required.

EDIT: I am not trying to flame either of you, you both seem to have valid points to me. If I am mistaken on any of these points please let me know. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What you guys are BOTH trying to say is that capacitor is actually a reservoir capacitor. It charges up fast, holds that charge and when the power drops the capacitor starts discharging, and quickly recharging. What it doesn't do is increase the maximum voltage a PSU can provide. It cannot provide any more voltage than the circuit it's in.

EDIT: I am not trying to flame either of you, you both seem to have valid points to me. If I am mistaken on any of these points please let me know. :)

Please edit out my comments as I have done in the original post, I retract my attitude fully.

We both had a mis-understanding, mine was that I thought he meant that the Cap would increase the continuous amperage, he actually said the peak amperage, I missed that.

He thought that the continuous current draw on the GP2X might be low enough that a 300mAh supply would work, based on claims of 10 hours use on AA batteries. I have PM'ed him explaining that Squidge has done Ammeter tests that show about 600mAh to nearly 900mAh continuous draw.

Your thought is going in the right direction, but it should read thusly:

"What it doesn't do is increase the maximum continuous amperage a PSU can provide."

So Lint just mistook actual continuous current draw as being about half actual, and I missed the part where he said "peak", I assumed he meant continuous.

Maybe Lint can help you out with the capacitor business, he seems to know more about them than I do.

No Flames please, maybe just explaining exactly what capicitors do could help, I am curious about that now too, does the capacitor work at theoretically unlimited response times? Or is Bass "slow" enough to allow capacitors to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back