I Love The Device....but...

twivel

Still Fresh
Ok - so this gp2x MK2 (2.0 firmware) is a great device. I use it every day! Plenty of great games and such. My only concern is stability in video playback. Overall It seems to be much more stable with games than video playback.

Anyone have similar issues? Any suggestions on how to get video playback to be more stable? Could the SD card be the problem?

Thanks!

twivel posted on Sep 26 2006 at 02:38 PM said:
Ok - so this gp2x MK2 (2.0 firmware) is a great device. I use it every day! Plenty of great games and such. My only concern is stability in video playback. Overall It seems to be much more stable with games than video playback.

Anyone have similar issues? Any suggestions on how to get video playback to be more stable? Could the SD card be the problem?

Thanks!

What are the exact issues you have?
As long as I use the right codec, I seem to have excellant video stability.

Last edited by a moderator:
doc5avage posted on Sep 26 2006 at 09:55 AM said:
twivel posted on Sep 26 2006 at 02:38 PM said:

Thanks!

What are the exact issues you have?
As long as I use the right codec, I seem to have excellant video stability.

Video isn't stable at all!
When i go fast forward it goes slow and when choosing pause and play the screen is very slow.
And when movie starts always need to go forward or back because then the sound volume is much higher.

Dennis1989 posted on Sep 26 2006 at 06:40 PM said:
Video isn't stable at all!
When i go fast forward it goes slow and when choosing pause and play the screen is very slow.
And when movie starts always need to go forward or back because then the sound volume is much higher.

Might be something wrong with your video's. How are you encoding them?

yeah scratch what I said about usint MP2X. When I used it yesterday it seemed fine only difference was that the audio on the GPH one seemed to top out for some reason. But after trying to fast forward on a show it loses Sync :(. Oh well, the built in one on 2.0 seems to be just fine

Only problems I have had are when running from batteries... Video playback often freezes.
Yet the same movie it plays back absolutely fine when I use an external power supply...

Smeg

I used to have the same problems. I suspect it is a combination of a slow SD card and wastefully encoded video. Use PocketDivX and reencode your video for the GP2X's screen, I always get better results like that, and you don't have to set the player to maximum quality, thus getting more battery life out of it.

- Alex

Cervante posted on Sep 26 2006 at 04:57 AM said:
use one of the the other video player app's thats located on this website

I seem to have the same problem with mp2x.

If you re-encode your videos using pocketdixencoder you get the following benefits
  • much smaller size (fit more on SD)
  • smaller bandwidth requirements (easier to move 500kbits per second that 1200 from your SD card)
try these settings
  • 320 width (fixed aspect ratio)
  • 400kbps video
  • don't reencode audio (direct stream copy), unless you want to shrink it further and don't mind a drop in audio quality.
  • not vxid (my experience found divx a little better on the gp2x - xvid's better on pc)
This will encode fairly quickly too.

I totally agree
GP2X rocks when it comes to emulation, but it's just a expensive brick when you try to play videos... and I've tried lots of codec combinations, no deal.. let's just face it

just a expensive brick when you try to play videos
I beg to differ. I have had great luck with video. These may be factors
  • I always use the adaptor (possib issues with batteries?)
  • I always re-encode to save space, improve performance (see previous post in this thread for my personal settings)

Lupin posted on Sep 26 2006 at 12:56 PM said:
yeah speed on SD cards does play a factor I think the fastest you can get right now without spending an arm and a leg is 150. Here is a 4GB 150 for 80 USD

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...11&NoMapp=0

And tigerdirect is a good company. They sponsor a lot of PC gaming tournaments and stuff, so you can trust 'em

I have a 166x and I always buy from newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820183017

I got it for 58.00 SHIPPED a couple weeks ago. I think newegg changes it's prices all the time, it usually seems to be better over the weekend as well.

I do use quality batteries (kodak 2100mah, which way outperform the generic micro-center 2600mah ones I purchased).

I'm using Linux and I've tried mencoder using the wiki to encode video and it doesn't seem to help much - though I'll play around with it more. It usually works fine for a while - but it gets picky around certain spots. E.g. it'll play a video for 20 minutes, then lock-up. Then I'll go back in, fast-forward to that spot and it'll play a few minutes and lock again.

It makes me think SD-card, but I'll try more options with encoding (Using the windoze pocketdivx program) and I'll try increasing CPU-speed as well.

Thanks for all the great suggestions

Lint posted on Sep 26 2006 at 10:44 AM said:
I totally agree
GP2X rocks when it comes to emulation, but it's just a expensive brick when you try to play videos... and I've tried lots of codec combinations, no deal.. let's just face it
Did you even give PocketDivX a try before making that statement? It's such a great little program, drag and drop is all there is to it.

- Alex

How strange. I am using the built in player, full (200mhz) and it plays the anime episodes straight off the web (25 mins in 175mb).

Back