I Need A Batch File Renamer

angrypants

GP OG
Ok so I just purchaed a 120gig harddrive for my xbox. I have full snes, nes, genesis, mame, pce and so on rom collections. In other words I have thousands of roms that I would like to rename. I have found that for some reason when I go to upload hundreds of small files at a time across my lan my ftp client freaks out and rejects some of them with longer file names. That and it seems that certain emulators such as snes9x will crash if some roms are names weirdly. What I really need is a batch file renamer which will go through and do things like say for instance remove certain charactors in file names or spaces. Or will go through and give all files short file names. If anyone knows of a good one that they have used please let me know.

http://www.1-4a.com/rename/

this is the best one I have ever seen, by far.

it's a little funky and a little idiosyncratic (seems to add # symbols in for some reason sometimes, easily removable though)

a little daunting when you first run it but spend 2 min with it and it will work like a charm. Easy as hell, highly recommended!!

There used to be a program that came with Windows 95 that would truncate filenames, and store what it truncated in a file. Once you'd used the program that required 8.3 filenames, you ran it again and it un-truncated (I don't think that's a real word!) the name from the file.

Longlock.exe perhaps... Dunno, it was a long time ago.

You could just copy /n using dos to copy in 8.3 and then run goodsnes, goodsms etc to name them back at the other end using their checksum. Hope that helps. Jace

Back