Tool For Renaming Files

Ze_ro

Website
Visit site
Since Unix programs (and therefor, GP2X programs) are often case sensitive when it comes to filenames, and since Windows has an unfortunate tendency to arbitrarily capitalize things, I thought you all might find this program helpful.

Renamer 6.0 is basically a tool for changing the names of large numbers of files at once. It actually has tons of features that can be very useful in other situations (A lot of it's features are nice for renaming MP3 files), but I've mostly been using it to force all my files into lowercase. He're how you can do it:

0) Download, install, and run the program.

1) Click the little picture of a yellow folder, then choose a folder to manage. The names of all the files will show up twice in the list below (The names on the right are the current names and the names on the left are the names you will be changing them to).

2) From the Edit menu, chose Caps->lowercase. The names on the left will all show up in lower case.

3) Click the A->B button in the top left to have the program actually change all the file names once you're happy with them.

And that's it, all the filenames are now in lower case without having to manually rename each file individually. Assuming you have a card reader, or got the USB cable to work properly, you can even have it rename the files right on the card itself.

--Zero

Sorry to hijack your topic but this is also a useful little tool for gp2x'rs but not important enough for it's own topic.

Convert.zip contains 3 command line tools for converting files to dos/mac/unix format. ToUnix should be very handy for all of you who are having problems creating scripts in notepad.

just type tounix *.gpe in your script folder or just drop your script onto the tounix icon.

I have these tools in my "Send To..." menu. Right click->send to->Unix format

Edit: just to try and stay on topic Synesis have a little Explorer shell extension called File Case. once installed you only have to right click on a file in explorer and pick upercase/lowercase/capitalize to change the filename. They have a few other useful little tools too.

since Windows has an unfortunate tendency to arbitrarily capitalize things
Windows does not, has not, and will not arbitrarily capitalize filenames. If filenames are changed, it is either fault of the application (many older applications only understand 8.3 filenames) or of the file system being written to. Do not blame Windows for something it does not do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows itself does not, but I've seen some Windows applications capitalise the first letter of a filename, but only for display purposes. I've also seen others where if you type a filename completely in upper case, they will lowercase it all apart from the first character. However, this is again application specific.

Explorer used to do such funky things:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-101
That is for display purposes only. Explorer does not and did not change the actual filename on disk.
Of course not, however if you were modifying a game startup script in notepad or something, and decided to trust what explorer showed you the filename was, it wouldn't work if pretty pathing was being applied and mislead you as to the real casing of a filename. That's more what I was getting at... forgive my one-liner.

Back